WAMC/School List Help - GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 519, SC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluezone

Reaction score
I am currently a junior planning on applying to AMCAS this cycle. I'm not really gunning for a T20 school, but I thought I'd put a few on my list to test my luck with them. Please let me know if there are any schools I should add/omit! Also, any thought on a gap year vs. applying the traditional route?

GPA: 4.0

MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 519 (131/127/131/130)

State of residence: SC

Ethnicity and/or race: White

Undergraduate institution or category: State school

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • 180 hours volunteer MA at a family medicine practice
  • 15 hours volunteer MA at an urgent care (~50 by the time of application)
Research experience and productivity:
  • 120 hours in a biochem lab
  • 1 poster presentation
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 100 hours across various specialties

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • 350 hours volunteering for an on-campus program serving young adults with intellectual disabilities
  • Leadership role in this program
Other extracurricular activities: Chair position in a pre-medical fraternity, IM sports?

Relevant honors or awards: President's List, Chemistry department award

Letters of Rec: Biochem professor who is also my PI, microbiology professor, MD at clinic I volunteered for, non-clinical volunteer coordinator

Here's what I've got so far:
MUSC
UofSC Greenville
UofSC Columbia
Wake Forest
VCU
Emory
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
SLU
Tulane
Cincinnati
Pitt
Yale
Michigan
USF
Eastern Virginia
UVA
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Case Western
USC Keck
Mt. Sinai Icahn
WashU
Iowa
Jefferson
Northwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Nice work. Tell me more about your work with those with intellectual disabilities/neurodiversity, and what a "leadership position" entails. Is this a student-run organization supported by learning services, or are you hired directly by that office?

I think your boxes are checked, and you should get attention in-state. So my only question is: what makes you stand out and desirable to a medical school of your choice?

Reactions: 1 user
Nice work. Tell me more about your work with those with intellectual disabilities/neurodiversity, and what a "leadership position" entails. Is this a student-run organization supported by learning services, or are you hired directly by that office?

I think your boxes are checked, and you should get attention in-state. So my only question is: what makes you stand out and desirable to a medical school of your choice?
Thanks for your insight!

My university runs a special education program for young adults with intellectual disabilities/neurodiversity such that they can grow into independent, functioning members of society. This program is partnered with a volunteering organization that provides undergrads the opportunity to contribute to their education by providing support to them in various aspects of their lives (employment, fitness, cooking/eating, social situations, community inclusion, etc.).

My leadership position in the organization has me oversee the fitness-related facet of the program, so I organize workouts, send daily reminders via email, and troubleshoot any issues that might arise within the program. The organization is predominantly student-run by an executive board (which I sit on as a part of my position) but is overseen by a coordinator who is affiliated with the larger special education program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats and geographical look good for all non T5 schools but ECs don’t necessarily stand out in a way that make you a shoe in for T20s. I’d say apply broadly with the comfort of knowing that worst comes to worst, you’re applying from one of the most favorable states in the country

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your insight!

My university runs a special education program for young adults with intellectual disabilities/neurodiversity such that they can grow into independent, functioning members of society. This program is partnered with a volunteering organization that provides undergrads the opportunity to contribute to their education by providing support to them in various aspects of their lives (employment, fitness, cooking/eating, social situations, community inclusion, etc.).

My leadership position in the organization has me oversee the fitness-related facet of the program, so I organize workouts, send daily reminders via email, and troubleshoot any issues that might arise within the program. The organization is predominantly student-run by an executive board (which I sit on as a part of my position) but is overseen by a coordinator who is affiliated with the larger special education program.
That's interesting. I think you have a desirable application though I'm also not exactly sure how your activity will appeal to some top-20 schools either. A lot of connecting with current students, admissions deans, and recruitment staff may help with some feedback on this.

Reactions: 1 user