WAMC/School List Help IL URM 3.98 cGPA, 3.99 sGPA, 525 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawaykid10

Reaction score
1. cGPA: 3.98, sGPA: 3.99
2. MCAT: 525
3. Illinois
4. URM, Hispanic
5. Undergrad at UCLA psychobiology major with Spanish minor, 3rd year
6. Clinical experience: ~150 hours volunteering at vaccine clinic
7. Research experience: ~100 hours from 1 lab 2nd/3rd year, 300 hours at other lab 3rd year, 1 poster presentation
8. Shadowing experience: ~30 hours pulmonary and 40 hours virtual
9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~200 hours
a. Tutor to homeless child through regional program (50 hrs, just started this)
b. Tutor to 2 children of nurse during COVID peak ~ 75 hours
c. Member of support group organization for survivors of TBI's ~ 75 hours
10. Other extracurricular activities: rock climbing, studied abroad in Spain, worked full time all throughout college (~4000 hrs) with leadership position

School list:
Harvard
Stanford
Hopkins
Yale
Chicago Pritzker
WashU
Columbia
Duke
UPenn
UCSF
Brown
NYU
UCLA
UMich
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Mt. Sinai
BU
Ohio
USC
Dartmouth
UNC
University of Washington
UW Madison
Emory
UPitt
Hofstra
SLU
University of Arizona
Iowa
Indiana
Tulane
Case Western
Northwestern
U of I
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SIU

Please let me know any schools you think I should add/drop and any suggestions for my school list, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Drop Rush, Rosalind, SLU, Arizona, UW Madison, Hofstra, Uwashingtom, UNC

Add any T30 schools that you may have missed

Your tutoring may not be as impressive as non-clinical volunteering, as most premeds put down some tutoring or teaching activity down, so it won't make you stand out. Provide details of your support group and of your full-time work (4000+ hours). Have you also had an opportunity to network with schools through connections with the LMSA or SNMA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your tutoring may not be as impressive as non-clinical volunteering, as most premeds put down some tutoring or teaching activity down, so it won't make you stand out. Provide details of your support group and of your full-time work (4000+ hours). Have you also had an opportunity to network with schools through connections with the LMSA or SNMA?
For the support group, I basically work outreach to bring more TBI survivors into the group as well as helping plan and attending monthly social events where they are allowed to tell their story and hang out, play games, talk with us and other survivors.

My full time job is at a very successful startup at UCLA where I've been top employee (delivery service company) for over a year as well as helped implement multiple company programs to increase positive company culture and others to promote sustainability. I'm very close with the CEO and will get a really strong LoR.

My other LoR's should all be very strong as well except my non science professor LoR which will most likely be pretty average

I also forgot to add I have an additional 200 hrs as an learning assistant or LA (basically TA assistant) for physics classes and was wondering what section would this go under on the AAMC application?

I did not know either of those organizations existed so I have not, I'll look into them more now though thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
You have a compelling app and I would be stunned if you were not successful. But, one thing that struck me was your comment regarding a tentative “pretty average “ L.O.R. Unless that particular submission is REQUIRED I would not solicit a L.O.R. that I was not quite certain would be a glowing rec.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a compelling app and I would be stunned if you were not successful. But, one thing that struck me was your comment regarding a tentative “pretty average “ L.O.R. Unless that particular submission is REQUIRED I would not solicit a L.O.R. that I was not quite certain would be a glowing rec.
Do I have to submit all LOR to each school? My undergrad university doesn’t do letter packets and so some schools require a non science professor LOR. Could I only submit that letter to the schools that require it and not all of them?

Drop Rush, Rosalind, SLU, Arizona, UW Madison, Hofstra, Uwashingtom, UNC

Add any T30 schools that you may have missed
Why do you suggest dropping those schools? He should be competitive and many are fine programs.

For the support group, I basically work outreach to bring more TBI survivors into the group as well as helping plan and attending monthly social events where they are allowed to tell their story and hang out, play games, talk with us and other survivors.

My full time job is at a very successful startup at UCLA where I've been top employee (delivery service company) for over a year as well as helped implement multiple company programs to increase positive company culture and others to promote sustainability. I'm very close with the CEO and will get a really strong LoR.

My other LoR's should all be very strong as well except my non science professor LoR which will most likely be pretty average

I also forgot to add I have an additional 200 hrs as an learning assistant or LA (basically TA assistant) for physics classes and was wondering what section would this go under on the AAMC application?

I did not know either of those organizations existed so I have not, I'll look into them more now though thank you!
Try to get 100 hrs of nonclinical volunteer work in ER. It will supplement your application.

Leave Hofstra and SLU. They offer interviews to higher stat applicants and try to land them. Wisconsin Madison is also leaves OOS spots for these kinds of students.