WAMC/ School List Help NY URM 3.9/513 (Super Research Heavy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsade00

Reaction score
1. cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.95
  • Dean's List 8 semesters in a row
  • PBK honoree
  • 2 honors programs (1 w/scholarship)
  • Graduated Summa
  • Honors in biology major
2. MCAT:
  • 513 (September 2022) (128/127/127/131)
3. State of Residence: NYC
4. Ethnicity/Race: African-American woman
5. Undergraduate Institution: >public school, not really known outside NY (t5 public school in the North if that matters lol)
6. Clinical Experience:
  • 104 hrs volunteering in ER
  • 500 hrs caregiving for aunt who had COVID-19
7. Research:
  • 3500 hrs at neuroscience lab
    • Presented posters at 4 conferences (2 national ones, won award for one)
    • 2nd/3rd author on 5 other posters
    • 1 co-author pub in protocol paper
    • 73k diversity grant from NIH
8. Shadowing:
  • 95 hrs with cardiologist
9. Non-clinical volunteering:
  • 80 hrs at food pantry
  • 150+ hrs mentoring
  • 70 hrs as university ambassador
10. Leadership:
  • Leader of undergrad journal club at my lab
11. Other:
  • SES Disadvantaged
  • First-Gen

I would love some help with cutting down/editing my school list! I feel I have such a lopsided application with the majority of my experience going towards research. I got this position when I was a sophomore and for several reasons I've chosen to stay in that lab to support myself throughout college and now throughout my gap years. Definitely using these years to also build up my clinical experience (should get a couple more hundred hours). I've been told I have a pretty compelling story (went through some **** as a kid that got me to this position) and that there may be a way to tweak my application so I can explain the heavy research. So far I believe my list is super top-heavy and I'm looking for match schools to add. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

School List:
  • UC Irvine
  • UCLA
  • Kaiser
  • Yale
  • Quinnipiac
  • Howard
  • Georgetown
  • UMass
  • Hackensack
  • Albany
  • Albert Einstein
  • Hofstra
  • Icahn
  • UBuffalo
  • NYMC
  • NYU Grossman (LOL)
  • Stony Brook
  • SUNY Upstate
  • URochester
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Cornell
  • Mayo
  • Geisinger
  • Penn State
  • UPitt
  • UPenn
  • Emory
  • Johns Hopkins
  • UChicago
  • UMichigan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When are you planning to apply ? The hours care giving for a family member are not clinical experience. If possible, accumulate another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering in the ER and another 80 hours in the food pantry.

When are you planning to apply ? The hours care giving for a family member are not clinical experience. If possible, accumulate another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering in the ER and another 80 hours in the food pantry.

I’m applying this cycle. I was told by my pre-health advisor that I can count those towards clinical but I know it’s not weighed as serious as a formal clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning to accumulate more clinical and non clinical volunteering hours before you apply ? If so, how many hours ?

Are you planning to accumulate more clinical and non clinical volunteering hours before you apply ? If so, how many hours ?

Yes, not enough to double the hours I have though. The clinical exposure I had was paused due to omicron back in October 2022 and they’re just now letting people back :(

Reactions: 1 user
Have youth connected with SNMA chapter officers at the schools on your list?

What is your endgame? Where do you want to practice? How do you want to leverage your research experience?

You have a really strong shot, so pick your targets where you will have the most support and closest distance to family of that is important.

Yes, not enough to double the hours I have though. The clinical exposure I had was paused due to omicron back in October 2022 and they’re just now letting people back :(
Concentrate on the clinical volunteering hours. Apply no later than July and complete all your secondaries by August.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
New York Medical College
Rochester
Dartmouth
Harvard
Brown
Yale
Hackensack
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Mayo
U Michigan
Kaiser

Concentrate on the clinical volunteering hours. Apply no later than July and complete all your secondaries by August.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
New York Medical College
Rochester
Dartmouth
Harvard
Brown
Yale
Hackensack
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Mayo
U Michigan
Kaiser
Question
1. cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.95
  • Dean's List 8 semesters in a row
  • PBK honoree
  • 2 honors programs (1 w/scholarship)
  • Graduated Summa
  • Honors in biology major
2. MCAT:
  • 513 (September 2022) (128/127/127/131)
3. State of Residence: NYC
4. Ethnicity/Race: African-American woman
5. Undergraduate Institution: >public school, not really known outside NY (t5 public school in the North if that matters lol)
6. Clinical Experience:
  • 104 hrs volunteering in ER
  • 500 hrs caregiving for aunt who had COVID-19
7. Research:
  • 3500 hrs at neuroscience lab
    • Presented posters at 4 conferences (2 national ones, won award for one)
    • 2nd/3rd author on 5 other posters
    • 1 co-author pub in protocol paper
    • 73k diversity grant from NIH
8. Shadowing:
  • 95 hrs with cardiologist
9. Non-clinical volunteering:
  • 80 hrs at food pantry
  • 150+ hrs mentoring
  • 70 hrs as university ambassador
10. Leadership:
  • Leader of undergrad journal club at my lab
11. Other:
  • SES Disadvantaged
  • First-Gen

I would love some help with cutting down/editing my school list! I feel I have such a lopsided application with the majority of my experience going towards research. I got this position when I was a sophomore and for several reasons I've chosen to stay in that lab to support myself throughout college and now throughout my gap years. Definitely using these years to also build up my clinical experience (should get a couple more hundred hours). I've been told I have a pretty compelling story (went through some **** as a kid that got me to this position) and that there may be a way to tweak my application so I can explain the heavy research. So far I believe my list is super top-heavy and I'm looking for match schools to add. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

School List:
  • UC Irvine
  • UCLA
  • Kaiser
  • Yale
  • Quinnipiac
  • Howard
  • Georgetown
  • UMass
  • Hackensack
  • Albany
  • Albert Einstein
  • Hofstra
  • Icahn
  • UBuffalo
  • NYMC
  • NYU Grossman (LOL)
  • Stony Brook
  • SUNY Upstate
  • URochester
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Cornell
  • Mayo
  • Geisinger
  • Penn State
  • UPitt
  • UPenn
  • Emory
  • Johns Hopkins
  • UChicago
  • UMichigan
Everyone one of the schools supported by AMSNY should have secondaries that reflect diversity and inclusion. They are pushing really hard to increase diversity and I think you definitely fit. I would add Morehouse to that list.

Thanks all for your helpful feedback!