WAMC/School List, ORM, IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For a Friend

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

WAMC/would like some help of a school list!

Info/stats:
Delaware resident
ORM (Chinese)
Georgetown Undergrad
3.7cGPA, 3.65sGPA
506 MCAT
Psyc major
IA. Cheated on an orgo exam first semester freshmen year (wrote reaction mechanisms on my hand/pled guilty). At the time of application, it will have been 5 years since the incident.

ECs:
3 summers/1 year (full time, gap year 1) of working in my dad's family practice clinic as a receptionist.
1 year scribe at a sleep clinic (gap year 2).
100 hrs non-clinical volunteering
100 hrs shadowing
700 hrs clinical volunteering
No significant leadership
1 year of psych research, no pubs
Excellent LORs

I am interested in US MD and would highly prefer ranked schools (US news-research). Do I have a chance?

Thank You!!

Members don't see this ad.

No. USMD (any MD, and absolutely no chance with high ranked schools) with an IA, an average GPA and low-ish MCAT, compounded with ORM status is basically out of reach. Only "in-state" school you have is Jefferson (technically the state med school for Delaware) and they are one of the most applied to med schools in the country. In addition, your ECs aren't enough to make up for any of it tbh. They seem very basic.

If a school can overlook your IA, then maybe look into DO schools.

A cheating IA, ORM status, average/below average application overall. Get rid of that "highly prefer ranked schools" mindset. You're going to be lucky to get any MD/DO acceptance. Period.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are only in the 50% range. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Georgetown
George Washington
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Since your chances for a MD acceptance are only 50% you also apply to at least 12 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I knew that my IA is a problem, but is it really THAT big of a problem since it was 5 years ago? I wrote a very well-written essay in which I talk about how sorry I am and how I've grown from the experience, and how that it was actually a good experience for me because it allowed me to mature.

I really like the essay and feel like including it might actually turn the IA into a neutral or even beneficial thing? Also, it was a LONG time ago.

I knew that my IA is a problem, but is it really THAT big of a problem since it was 5 years ago? I wrote a very well-written essay in which I talk about how sorry I am and how I've grown from the experience, and how that it was actually a good experience for me because it allowed me to mature.

I really like the essay and feel like including it might actually turn the IA into a neutral or even beneficial thing? Also, it was a LONG time ago.
Cheating is a pretty big deal. You're delusional if you feel you can turn it into a beneficial thing.

Also talk is cheap. What have you done that shows personal growth?

Cheating is a pretty big deal. You're delusional if you feel you can turn it into a beneficial thing.

Also talk is cheap. What have you done that shows personal growth?

I guess beneficial might be too optimistic, but I think I can spin it in a way that makes it neutral? In my essay I talk about how I was quick to accept responsibility and how after I retook the course, I became a TA for the class, and how that helped me develop a love for organic chemistry.

IA's a scarlet letter that does not go away. Sure, you matured from the experience, but then there're bunch of other people who never made such questionable action to begin with (or not get caught, whatever). It will never become beneficial - neutral at best, and that's with more time, not just two years after college. That essay is less than 1325 char, right?

In any case, even if we discount your IA, I don't think chances are high for ranked MD schools. Your GPA's ok and I think your clinical volunteering hours are good, but there are no OOS friendly schools with your MCAT or below as the median. Ever thought of retaking MCAT?

the IA is lethal without more time between the app and the offense + a much better MCAT.
I agree. OP is handicapped by the fact that we have so many qualified applicants who don't have IAs, and many Adcoms also think "Is this the type of person we want in our class?"

OP is also handicapped by having zero nonclinical service hours. This would be lethal in its own right.

@Goro I do have around 100 hrs of non-clinical volunteering.

@seren1051 I would rather not re-take the MCAT because that would mean another gap year, maybe 2.

Hopefully, I'll just get in this cycle. I feel like as long as I get an interview, I should be good! I'm really good at interviewing.

Thanks for all the advice!