WAMC/School List - Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeptastic

Cleans his metal mask with gasoline
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted for anonymity during the cycle, but have saved each deleted post and will add them back at end of cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you should receive several interviews.
For AMCAS schools you could try these:
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Indiana
Loyola
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Hackensack
Einstein
Columbia
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Brown

Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you should receive several interviews.
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Indiana
Loyola
St. Louis
Wayne State
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Hackensack
Einstein
Columbia
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Brown
Thank you, Faha! I'm leaning toward sticking with the TMDSAS MD and DO schools and having a little faith and confidence. Just tough to know how OOS MD schools will treat the upward trend coupled with the TX residency. Might be a waste of money and time, but who knows in the end.

I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, Faha! I'm leaning toward sticking with the TMDSAS MD and DO schools and having a little faith and confidence. Just tough to know how OOS MD schools will treat the upward trend coupled with the TX residency. Might be a waste of money and time, but who knows in the end.

I appreciate your help.
I think you should at least apply to the HBCU medical schools and maybe Tulane. I think they will look favorably on your unique background and extensive work in the community.

Reactions: 1 user

I appreciate your help.
The OOS MD schools will consider you because there are so few African American applicants in the applicant pool. There are approximately 450 applicants per year with a GPA above 3.0 and a MCAT of 507 or higher. That is only 3 per MD school for the entire country.

Reactions: 3 users
If you haven't done so already, I urge you to reach out to schools high on your list. Being in Texas, you should have contacts with many SNMA student leaders and their advisors (usually admins or deans of student affairs or diversity/inclusion). You should do whatever you can to have those schools show you other students or alumni who have stories of success similar to you; most convenient will be those who are faculty at those schools, but you are really looking for recent students/graduates who share the same life concerns that you have. There are also many mentoring organizations focused on Black Men in Medicine, so let me know.

Reactions: 1 users
The OOS MD schools will consider you because there are so few African American applicants in the applicant pool. There are approximately 450 applicants per year with a GPA above 3.0 and a MCAT of 507 or higher. That is only 3 per MD school for the entire country.
Wow, that's depressing to read 😭

I think you should at least apply to the HBCU medical schools and maybe Tulane. I think they will look favorably on your unique background and extensive work in the community.
The tough thing with the HBCU's is that they get SO many applicants for so very few seats. I feel like it'd be more difficult to stand out in that app process since most applicants are also African American. Still, it's kind of silly to apply to OOS MD schools and not apply to HBCU's when you clearly fit their mission more than most other OOS schools.

Wow. I thought the average AA applicant had higher stats than that? I'm likely either behind on keeping up with the AAMC data, or remembering the data I've seen in the past incorrectly.

The tough thing with the HBCU's is that they get SO many applicants for so very few seats. I feel like it'd be more difficult to stand out in that app process since most applicants are also African American. Still, it's kind of silly to apply to OOS MD schools and not apply to HBCU's when you clearly fit their mission more than most other OOS schools.
That's the same for every school, but you fit the HBCU mission and have solid stats. Your race is neither a benefit nor a setback, which is great because your overall application is interesting.

You should not try to bank on your race for helping you to stand out anywhere. Plus HBCUs love a comeback story. I have a lot of experience with HBCUs, trust me on this one haha

It's also worth keeping in mind that your MCAT is quite a bit higher than the median MCAT at HBCU medical schools. They care less about MCAT scores than most schools, but that doesn't mean they aren't biased towards higher scores...spoiler alert, they most certainly are haha.

This combined with the fact that they're all private means you being from Texas won't be a drawback for them. They don't care where applicants are from as long as they fit the mission and requirements.

TCU-UNT
Tulane
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Indiana
Loyola
St. Louis
Wayne State
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Hackensack
Einstein
Columbia
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Brown

Last edited:
After spending time thinking about it and reading your posts a few times, I agree with you. The HBCU's, maybe a reach school or two, and a few others where I wouldn't mind relocating to attending are likely in the cards. Thanks a bunch for all of your the info and insight you've provided in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't done so already, I urge you to reach out to schools high on your list. Being in Texas, you should have contacts with many SNMA student leaders and their advisors (usually admins or deans of student affairs or diversity/inclusion). You should do whatever you can to have those schools show you other students or alumni who have stories of success similar to you; most convenient will be those who are faculty at those schools, but you are really looking for recent students/graduates who share the same life concerns that you have. There are also many mentoring organizations focused on Black Men in Medicine, so let me know.
I had to look into what the SNMA was. Thanks a ton for this! I will reach out and establish contact with folks in the diversity/inclusion offices of schools I'm interested in. And thank you for highlighting the importance of finding recent students and graduates to find out more about their experiences, challenges, etc.

Please feel free to let me know what you know in terms of mentoring organizations that work with black men in medicine. I am all ears and beyond appreciative. In this thread or in a PM, I am open to any input you have. It's probably better to speak about it here, so that the info is available to others who are in a similar position.

That's the same for every school, but you fit the HBCU mission and have solid stats. Your race is neither a benefit nor a setback, which is great because your overall application is interesting.

You should not try to bank on your race for helping you to stand out anywhere. Plus HBCUs love a comeback story. I have a lot of experience with HBCUs, trust me on this one haha
Agreed! I've had fellow applicants tell me that being URM will be a huge boost to my app and chances. They're always taken aback when I say I cannot rely on that at all. I want to be a solid applicant, period. Otherwise, entitlement can creep in and one might not put in the effort necessary to snag a medical school acceptance. Thanks for the insight!

Thank you all for your input and wisdom. It is all truly appreciated. Pardon my being slow to reply. I just submitted my primary last night, so I finally had a day to unwind and relax with the family a bit. On to secondaries starting tomorrow.

Should I anticipate OOS schools looking at my GPA as 3.96/3.94, 3.12/3.54, or somewhere in the middle based on the upward trend? Might be an odd question to ask, but I've learned that not asking can have worse results than asking and looking a bit foolish haha.
They should tend to look at it as a 3.96/3.94 since you are a career changer and the recent credits are reflective of who you are as a student now.

@Faha Are there any of these schools in particular that you feel would be wiser choices than others? Quite a list to narrow down lol. In addition, do you think I should avoid applying to non-TMDSAS DO schools this cycle?

Being originally from the state of WA, do you think applying to WSU (Elson Floyd) would be wise since I fit their definition of "strong ties?" My concern is having TMDSAS schools think I will leave here and return to WA. We have no intention of leaving Texas long-term, as we've planted roots here. But I worry that applying to a WA school will open me up for speculation about my commitment to practice in TX.

I will spend some time using MSAR and considering the location and mission of the schools to narrow down the list you've provided. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with me. My wife says stick to Texas schools, as does me heart. My brain says to apply to more than 14 schools. My wallet says all of it is madness haha!
The Texas schools will not know which AMCAS schools you are applying to. Apply to any OOS MD schools that appeal to you or are in areas you would like to live.

Please feel free to let me know what you know in terms of mentoring organizations that work with black men in medicine. I am all ears and beyond appreciative. In this thread or in a PM, I am open to any input you have. It's probably better to speak about it here, so that the info is available to others who are in a similar position.

When I get to a computer for a long enough time, I'll send you some suggestions by DM though I can also guess there are a few if you searched for them online. I can make suggestions from that list.

Also look up information on the Texas Medical Minority Scholarship. Obviously this would be after you got into medical school, but there is probably a committee on minorities that you can also check out their membership and connect to those local to you in Texas.

The Texas schools will not know which AMCAS schools you are applying to. Apply to any OOS MD schools that appeal to you or are in areas you would like to live.

Last edited:
For better understanding, when you put a high-caliber school like Columbia on the list, what makes you choose that particular school over one like Harvard or Cornell? I never considered applying to schools with such high matriculant stats, so I figured it couldn't hurt to gain some clarity from you as to how you choose one school over another. My thinking is that if there are alternatives to, say, Columbia that are in areas I'd rather live in (Duke or Wash St. Louis since I have family in both cities), it might be better to replace Columbia with one of them.

Basically, I'm checking to see if schools on the list were carefully selected based upon my activities and/or other application details, or if it's more of a blueprint to follow, with an emphasis on choosing percentages of schools from specific "tiers" when formulating a list. I sure hope this makes sense. Thanks again for your help.
For some of those more competitive schools I have seen SDN African American applicants with much lower stats than you receive an acceptance. One example, for Pittsburgh I have seen applicants with 505 MCAT and 3.2 GPA receive acceptances. You can certainly add any top tier school in an area where you would prefer to live.

For better understanding, when you put a high-caliber school like Columbia on the list, what makes you choose that particular school over one like Harvard or Cornell? I never considered applying to schools with such high matriculant stats, so I figured it couldn't hurt to gain some clarity from you as to how you choose one school over another. My thinking is that if there are alternatives to, say, Columbia that are in areas I'd rather live in (Duke or Wash St. Louis since I have family in both cities), it might be better to replace Columbia with one of them.

Basically, I'm checking to see if schools on the list were carefully selected based upon my activities and/or other application details, or if it's more of a blueprint to follow, with an emphasis on choosing percentages of schools from specific "tiers" when formulating a list. I sure hope this makes sense. Thanks again for your help.
Anecdotally speaking, Columbia seems to like non-trad students a bit more than WashU, but it seems like that may be changing with WashU accepting more non-trad students lately. I do think you could probably replace Columbia with Duke since they are much more lenient with stats than WashU or Columbia.

On the other hand, you'd have to deal with the monster that is the Duke secondary. It is a beast haha.

I applied to all 3 and got into Columbia and WashU, but not even an interview at Duke. I mention this because I have a ton of family in NC but none in Missouri and very little in NYC. I'm not sure why I was rejected pre-interview, but me having family in NC didn't seem to help too much lol

If you have the money, I'd say go ahead and also add Duke and WashU since you'd prefer to live in Durham or STL to NYC.

For some of those more competitive schools I have seen SDN African American applicants with much lower stats than you receive an acceptance. One example, for Pittsburgh I have seen applicants with 505 MCAT and 3.2 GPA receive acceptances. You can certainly add any top tier school in an area where you would prefer to live.
Although Pittsburgh is every bit as good a school as Columbia, I think it can be a bit misleading to compare them wrt stats.

Whereas Columbia's 10th percentiles for matriculants was 515 last cycle, Pittsburgh's was 507. And their 25th percentile was 512, whereas Columbia's was 518. Columbia had a higher 10th percentile than Pittsburgh's 25th percentile.

Pittsburgh's 10th percentile GPA was c3.52/s3.38, while Columbia's was c3.65/s3.51...another significant difference.

There were probably 30+ students who matriculated at Pitt with similar stats to OP last year (out of 158), but probably 10 or fewer at Columbia (out of 138).

Last edited:
Anecdotally speaking, Columbia seems to like non-trad students a bit more than WashU, but it seems like that may be changing with WashU accepting more non-trad students lately. I do think you could probably replace Columbia with Duke since they are much more lenient with stats than WashU or Columbia.

On the other hand, you'd have to deal with the monster that is the Duke secondary. It is a beast haha.

I applied to all 3 and got into Columbia and WashU, but not even an interview at Duke. I mention this because I have a ton of family in NC but none in Missouri and very little in NYC. I'm not sure why I was rejected pre-interview, but me having family in NC didn't seem to help too much lol

If you have the money, I'd say go ahead and also add Duke and WashU since you'd prefer to live in Durham or STL to NYC.

Last edited:
I would agree with Faha that you should receive several interviews at TMDAS schools + TCU. Tulane is the closest OOS school and you would have good chances there. These are probably the best options to allow you to be the most accessible to your family. Beyond that, it is a long flight.

I would agree with Faha that you should receive several interviews at TMDAS schools + TCU. Tulane is the closest OOS school and you would have good chances there. These are probably the best options to allow you to be the most accessible to your family. Beyond that, it is a long flight.
Indeed. The family dynamic is why I hadn't even considered OOS schools until a few months ago. I figure if I can't land interviews in TX, there is something wrong with my app and I'm unlikely to land them OOS as well. And you are spot-on because most OOS private schools are quite a distance from TX haha. Thanks for tapping in!

Last edited:
You could try the Nevada schools. Indiana is one that is trying to recruit AA students. Apply to UCLA/Drew. Faha’s list of mostly private schools along with TMDAS should lead to several interviews.

You could try the Nevada schools. Indiana is one that is trying to recruit AA students. Apply to UCLA/Drew. Faha’s list of mostly private schools along with TMDAS should lead to several interviews.
Appreciate you!

Although Pittsburgh is every bit as good a school as Columbia, I think it can be a bit misleading to compare them wrt stats.

Whereas Columbia's 10th percentiles for matriculants was 515 last cycle, Pittsburgh's was 507. And their 25th percentile was 512, whereas Columbia's was 518. Columbia had a higher 10th percentile than Pittsburgh's 25th percentile.

Pittsburgh's 10th percentile GPA was c3.52/s3.38, while Columbia's was c3.65/s3.51...another significant difference.

There were probably 30+ students who matriculated at Pitt with similar stats to OP last year (out of 158), but probably 10 or fewer at Columbia (out of 138).

Last edited: