WAMC/School List Trim - 524/3.99

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringFS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, submitting my app tomorrow (!) and having last-minute second thoughts about my school list. It was generated with the help of a counselor but I feel like it might be too long and could become overwhelming during secondaries. Any advice would be appreciated. I think I've erred on the side of a long list because I'm worried about being in the 'sweet' spot where I'm not exceptional enough for T20s but am at risk of being yield-protected based on stats by lower-tier schools.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
    1. 3.99 cGPA, 3.98 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown:
    1. 524 (131/130/131/132)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
    1. California
  4. Undergraduate institution or category:
    1. T20 public school
  5. Major/Degrees
    1. B.S. Physiology
    2. M.S. in Physiological Science (pending)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. 700+ hours as a paid EMT
    2. 170 hours as a Care Extender (clinical volunteer in hospital setting)
    3. 500 hours as a paid intern in dermatology clinic (high school)
  7. Research experience and productivity (posters, publications):
    1. 800+ hours research, 1 paper in the pipeline and 1 will be published after I matriculate. Expect to have 1 poster/conference by matriculation
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. 50+ hours neurology, nephrology, family medicine
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. 250+ hours as a pilot/copilot for Angel Flight West volunteer medical transport (have been advised this is borderline clinical, but I'm listing it as non-clinical since my role wasn't care-related)
    2. 100+ hours running fraternity philanthropy program
  10. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. Private/Instrument Rated pilot
    2. Learning Assistant (undergraduate TA) for multiple classes
    3. Founder/exec board of fraternity
    4. Property manager of my building
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
    1. Dean’s honors list
  12. Employment:
    1. Science education teacher (300+ hours)
    2. Tutor (500+ hours)
    3. Teaching Assistant (1000+ hours)
  13. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    1. I’m applying to med school with the intention of becoming a flight surgeon with the USAF/Navy, and am applying for HPSP in conjunction with medical school. Based on my stats they said I will be accepted and given the scholarship if I pass the physical (and get into at least 1 school of course).
Current school list:
Harvard
Hopkins
UPenn
UCSF
Stanford
Columbia
WUSTL
NYU
Vanderbilt
Mayo-MN
Cornell
UPitt
UCLA
Yale
Northwestern
UChicago
Emory
Mt Sinai
UCSD
CWRU
Colorado
USC
Ohio State
BU
UC Davis
Dartmouth
Einstein
Miami
UCI
Tufts
UofA-Tucson
Kaiser
Hofstra
NYMC
Wright State
Mayo-AZ
UofA-Phoenix

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Wright State since they will "yield protect" with your stats. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Remove Wright State since they will "yield protect" with your stats. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.
It's on there because of the aerospace/aviation connection. I'm unclear exactly how yield protection works- do you think they won't even take a look at my app? I'm genuinely interested in going there and I think my secondaries will convey that.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's on there because of the aerospace/aviation connection. I'm unclear exactly how yield protection works- do you think they won't even take a look at my app? I'm genuinely interested in going there and I think my secondaries will convey that.
You could try it with your interests.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I've erred on the side of a long list because I'm worried about being in the 'sweet' spot where I'm not exceptional enough for T20s but am at risk of being yield-protected based on stats by lower-tier schools.

pilot/copilot for Angel Flight West volunteer medical transport

I’m applying to med school with the intention of becoming a flight surgeon with the USAF/Navy, and am applying for HPSP

Make sure USUHS is added.

When did you teach science?

Dude, you aren't a milquetoast cannon fodder applicant.

IMO you have a very strong app and will probably have a great cycle

Make sure USUHS is added.

When did you teach science?

Dude, you aren't a milquetoast cannon fodder applicant.
I guess I'm hard on myself, although I suppose I'd rather have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up. I've taught science as a tutor going back 10 years but that particular experience was throughout undergrad, I went to elementary schools around the county and did fun science lessons/experiments with them.

Good call on USUHS

I guess I'm hard on myself, although I suppose I'd rather have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up. I've taught science as a tutor going back 10 years but that particular experience was throughout undergrad, I went to elementary schools around the county and did fun science lessons/experiments with them.

Good call on USUHS
From your profile, you got this. If you also come in with a HPSP scholarship, you're super golden.

Be picky and make the schools recruit you. Get a feel for the type of support you need to meet your expectations from medical school.