WAMC/School list (URM; disability; nontrad; MPH grad) - MCAT 503 cGPA 3.49 sGPA 3.29

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeym8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if y'all could help me formulate a school list as a non-trad URM with a rather low MCAT score...

Background
  • URM, moderate hearing loss (wear hearing aids), and ADHD (not sure if I would disclose this tbh; diagnosed 2nd yr in college)
    • Parents were refugees from the Khmer Genocide--> poor childhood and limited opportunities growing up in the Central Valley (CA)
    • I was planning on addressing health disparities and my experiences growing up within a rural community in my personal statement
MCAT: 126/124/126/127 (503)

Academic Summary and Involvements

Undergrad
  • Graduated from a top public university in California (2019)
  • Overall: 3.483
  • BCPM: 3.29
  • AACOMAS SGPA: 3.61
  • Strong upward trend
  • Some of my involvements as an undergrad
    • Advocacy group for URM on campus
    • American medical student association
    • Volunteering at hospital for 2 years (~150-200 hrs)
    • Habitat for humanity (2 years)
    • 1.5 years of research in Public Health; no publications
    • 50 hrs of shadowing experience (ENT, Primary care)
Gap year
  • Worked as a patient care coordinator for a dermatology clinic
  • administrative side of healthcare and coordinating between different providers

Grad school
  • Just graduated with my Masters of Public Health in Health policy + management from an ivy league
    • School doesnt calculate GPA :/
  • Involved as a tutor for a semester
  • Involved with local free medical clinic for 1 year
  • Co-president for the American College of Health Execs chapter at my school
  • Interned at a hospital in Washington under their value-based care dept

Post-grad
  • Will be working as a senior data analyst at a health tech firm for 2 years before matriculating into med school (hopefully)
  • Plan to take up volunteering once again

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. I hope this is enough information to help curate a list of schools that I could apply to. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

When are you planning to apply ? I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

Reactions: 1 users
Any participation in academic enrichment programs that target disadvantaged prospective applicants? Any networking with students or residents from any of the schools you are interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you planning to apply ? I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
Thanks for this list! I’ll apply May 2023

Any participation in academic enrichment programs that target disadvantaged prospective applicants? Any networking with students or residents from any of the schools you are interested in?
I participated in an NSF REU program that was geared towards increasing the representation of those who are deaf/hard of hearing in the sciences. Does that count? Most of my networking has been w friends who are at Stanford, UCLA Prime, UC Davis, etc so not sure how much that helps me given my low score 😞

Reactions: 1 user
Would someone be able to suggest MD schools? I feel like I really align with UC Davis and their commitment towards addressing rural health disparities but not sure if my stats are too low to even apply

Would someone be able to suggest MD schools? I feel like I really align with UC Davis and their commitment towards addressing rural health disparities but not sure if my stats are too low to even apply
What URM group do you represent?
Your stats are pretty low for any MD schools, especially the Cali schools. You have a real chance at DO schools. But if you want to apply to some MD schools buy the MSAR and figure out where you might be competitive based on your stats. If your GPAs and MCAT are above the 10th percentile of a school you might be competitive for that school.

From what you have shared, I do not see how your application relates to addressing rural health disparities aside from sharing what your environment was like growing up in your personal statement. I would suggest DO only.