WAMC/School List. Worth it to apply to MD? (3.73, 502, WA, ORM, first-gen immigrant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MKEK

Reaction score
Yesterday my MCAT score came out, and I got a 502 (128/122/126/126). My CARS score is horrendous because English is a new language to me. I immigrated to the States 7 years ago as a sophomore in high school and didn’t speak a single word of English before then. I am surely applying to many DO schools very broadly; however, although I made a school list, I don't know if it is even worth it to apply to MD schools. Here are my stats and list:

• ORM (Asian)
  • First-gen immigrant (moved to the US alone at 16 as a sophomore in hs)
  • FAP recipient
  • State: WA; lived in MI for high school and NY for college
  • Undergrad: mid tier state university in NY
  • cGPA: 3.73 & sGPA: 3.80
  • MCAT: 502 (128/122/126/126)
  • 1350 hrs cancer research
  • one poster presentation (project funded thru my school)
  • one mid author peer-reviewed pub
  • 750 hrs academic tutor
  • 780 hrs non-clinical employment (warehouse worker)
  • 350 hrs paid clinical employment - clinical research associate (wasn’t really research, more of patient interaction and recruitment)
  • 280 hrs hospital volunteering
  • 270 hrs childcare volunteering
  • 150 hrs church youth group leader
  • 26 hrs pop-up clinic volunteering at an underserved community
  • 80 hrs TA
  • 30 hrs mentorship
  • 160 hrs shadowing (8 specialties)
  • 1 Letter packet with 7 LOR (1 PI, 2 science prof, 2 non-science prof, 1 tutoring supervisor, 1 physician)

MDs:

University of Washington
Washington State University
University at Buffalo (Jacobs) (where I went for undergrad)
Uniformed Serviced
Oregon Health and Sciences
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Quinnipiac University
Albany Medical College
Rosaline Franklin
Drexel
UIC
University of Minnesota
Oakland University
Western Michigan University
Rush University
Penn State University
Tulane University
UCSD
UCLA
Wayne State University
Loyola

DOs:

Pacific Northwest
Michigan State
Rowan
Nova Southeastern
California Health Sciences University
Duquesne
NYIT
Touro NY
Touro CA
Touro Nevada
Western University (Pomona)
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
LECOM (Erie)
LECOM (Bradenton)
University of Incarnate
Orlando College of Osteopathic Medicine

I've already submitted my primary to one school to get it verified. I am considering retaking the MCAT and reapplying next year, but I am also so exhausted because I am working full time and taking care of my 15-year-old brother as a legal guardian who just moved to the United States. I would appreciate any advice or feedback. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding your brother, what would be your ideal situation to make sure he is in a good space/community while you are going to medical school? That's a lot of change where you may not be able to have your full attention to the MCAT/med school exams or the places you have applied to if you are not familiar with community support for you both (for example, Idaho? USUHS?).

Regarding your brother, what would be your ideal situation to make sure he is in a good space/community while you are going to medical school? That's a lot of change where you may not be able to have your full attention to the MCAT/med school exams or the places you have applied to if you are not familiar with community support for you both (for example, Idaho? USUHS?).
Hi, so the reason why I am taking care of my brother is that our family in my home country, especially my mother, is going through some very difficult moments, and I decided that it would be better for my brother to stay in the States with me for the sake of his mental health. I am living with my significant other, and she has been an amazing help. I honestly do not think there is an ideal situation for me or my brother at this point due to our circumstances, we just have to see which option is less worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 502 MCAT is not competitive for most MD schools. You could try these:
University of Washington
Washington State University
University at Buffalo (Jacobs) (where I went for undergrad)
Uniformed Serviced
Medical College of Wisconsin
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland University
Wayne State University
TCU
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
ICOM
BCOM (both schools)
LECOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
NYIT-AR
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)

Hi, so the reason why I am taking care of my brother is that our family in my home country, especially my mother, is going through some very difficult moments, and I decided that it would be better for my brother to stay in the States with me for the sake of his mental health. I am living with my significant other, and she has been an amazing help. I honestly do not think there is an ideal situation for me or my brother at this point due to our circumstances, we just have to see which option is less worse.
I would recommend a little more time to stabilize this situation. I am guessing you have attained legal guardianship, but finding your brother a school (and paying for it, even if it's public) is not a small task. If he "just arrived," you are better served focusing on his transition to US culture and finding a stable income to make sure you are both in a good position (since I'm guessing he will be employment-challenged due to age and language?). Also I think teenagers his age get pretty hungry. I'm sure you remember what it's like, but it's another thing to support another teenager's needs.

Medical school is not a great time for people who are not in a stable situation, including financially. Maybe I'm playing too pessimistically, but I want to make sure you are really ready for medical school and are willing to help yourself and your brother should you wind up in a very remote place with a much smaller community of Asian immigrant families who can help you navigate life in the small towns where DO programs on the above suggested list reside.