WAMC + School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onemanshow3998

Reaction score
UCLA Biochemistry Major Class of 2020
cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 512 (130/126/129/127)
Indian
CA Resident
- 100 hours of volunteering at UCLA Medical Center
- 500 hours as research lab assistant (no publication)
- 200 hours learning assistant
- 200+ hours of tutoring
- 40 hours shadowing/volunteering in Dominican Republic
- DO shadowing: 10 hours

I really want to go to an MD school but it looks like I don’t have a chance. Is it worth applying if so where? Also can someone please help me make a list for DO schools? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, your GPA is pretty low for MD schools. You could still try for some UCs like UCD and UCI, but I don’t think your ECs will stick out enough for them to overlook your GPA.

I’d apply to:
WesternU-COMP
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
WesternU-COMP-Northwest (Lebanon, OR)
Pacific Northwest
Midwestern AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
ATSU-KCOM
DMUCOM
Midwestern CCOM
KCU-COM
PCOM (whichever campuses appeal to you)
VCOM (“)

You could consider reaching for these MD schools, but it might just be a waste of money:
CUSM
CNU
UCD
UCI
TCU-UNT
Albany MC
EVMS
NYMC
Toledo
Loyola-Stritch
MCW
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Uniformed Services University

Members don't see this ad :)
Your only domestic shadowing is 10 hours with your DO? This is a little challenging for your application.

Yes unfortunately I had a lot more MD and DO shadowing planned but unfortunately it didn’t happen because of the coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
ACOM

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
ACOM
Any MD?

Your chances for MD are low with your sGPA of 3.2 You could try California University, California Northstate, TCU-UNT, NOVA MD, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan New York Medical College, Drexel, Temple, George Washington.
I was planning on retaking my MCAT this summer (hopefully, depending on how this virus goes). If I can bring my MCAT up a few points do you think that could give me a better shot at one of the MD schools?

I was planning on retaking my MCAT this summer (hopefully, depending on how this virus goes). If I can bring my MCAT up a few points do you think that could give me a better shot at one of the MD schools?
You should not retake the MCAT. The MCAT is not your problem and will not replace a low GPA in any way. On top of that, marginal improvement on the MCAT is frowned upon. It says, “look, I studied for 1000 more hours and only improved by 3 points”. Plus, you run the risk of not improving at all. You should not retake the MCAT unless you are planning on scoring a 520+ (and your full-length practice exam scores can back that up). I would just apply to DO schools.

Based on AAMC statistics, yes. Purely on stats alone, you have a 40% chance of MD admission right now. If you get a >517, that jumps up to 57%. Take a gap year and do a DIY postbac to get your GPA 3.4-3.59 and you're looking at a 70.4% chance of MD. Being an Asian (ORM) from CA, you'll probably need higher stats too.

Like m1redsox said, don't retake the MCAT unless you know you can get 520+. If you get a 512 or below a 511 (it's possible), you'll just hurt your chances at DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You should not retake the MCAT. The MCAT is not your problem and will not replace a low GPA in any way. On top of that, marginal improvement on the MCAT is frowned upon. It says, “look, I studied for 1000 more hours and only improved by 3 points”. Plus, you run the risk of not improving at all. You should not retake the MCAT unless you are planning on scoring a 520+ (and your full-length practice exam scores can back that up). I would just apply to DO schools.
I see. Well the reason I did want to retake it was just based off looking at the AAMC Table 23 which says based on my stats right now I would have 39.9% chance. If I can get into the 514-517 range I would have a 50% chance and if I could get 517+ I could have a 56% chance. I would like to increase my chances (no matter how marginal) wherever I can.

Also, I am very worried about my DO app since my DO shadowing was cut short so I could only shadow for 10 hours. I did not ask for a LOR because I did not think it would be very good since I did not work with him very long. I do have an MD LOR though.

@onemanshow3998 It depends what you are scoring on full-length practice tests and how you feel about it. Everyone walks in thinking they can score a 520+, but the reality is only 2% of people get that score.

Looking over your app, I highly suggest a gap year. You have no non-clinical volunteering (unless tutoring was done off-campus), no MD shadowing (foreign shadowing doesn't count as much), very low DO shadowing, and very borderline clinical volunteering. What will you say when schools ask you "Why Medicine?"

If you take a year off to improve your GPA and bulk up your ECs, you'll have a much better chance.

Your MCAT is fine. It is your low sGPA that will limit your chances at MD schools (though you are competitive for all DO schools). Your low clinical volunteering hours and only 10 hours of physician shadowing also hurts your chances at MD schools.