• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC/School List

D

deleted1051643

Hi!
I'm applying MD/PhD-MSTP. I thought of just applying to a few schools this cycle, since I don't have many clinical hours, but a friend recently suggested I apply to many more, and make a post here for additional feedback. I would greatly appreciate any advice/insight.
Here is my profile:

MCAT: 523 (129/132/131/131)
GPA: 3.78
Volunteering, non-clinical: 200 hours for a crisis line; ~50 for different opportunities in undergrad
Shadowing: 50 hours in Italy, where I shadowed different specialities during a January term; 16 domestic hours (I expected to shadow/volunteer more this spring; I have more projected hours, for clinical volunteering as well).
Research: extensive experience in undergrad, earned highest distinction for my thesis, but no publication. Currently a postbac at the NIH, author on an abstract that was recently published.
Other: I was in a competitive poetry writing program at my university. I also speak English and Italian, and am proficient in Spanish and French. I have extensive experience teaching (orgo lab TA, taught english in Italy through an EU-funded program).
Employment: I worked throughout undergrad as a hostess, waitress, and barista.

Current school list:

Stanford
U of Pennsylvania
U of Chicago
Vanderbilt
U of Virginia
U of California, SD
Duke
U of Michigan
U of Colorado
U of Washington
Medical University of South Carolina
Tufts

D

deleted1051643

You don't have a lot of clinical experience. Why not apply Ph.D. only?
From the clinical experience I do have, I find the interactions between doctors and patients to be tremendously inspiring. I also have seen numerous examples of how having an MD background combined with the PhD training can lead to remarkable insights. Although I enjoy working in the lab, I know I would benefit from working directly with people. I have much more clinical "experience" from personal/family situations, which of course drives my motivation as well.

About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.