WAMC? School suggestions and review of current list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWatchingOne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am planning on applying this upcoming cycle in June. I have completed all of my pre-reqs and have taken the DAT, and at this point trying to gauge my chances and options of getting into dental school.

Stats
3.57 Overall GPA, ~3.6 Science GPA
DAT: 24 AA/ 25 TS/ 30 OC / 24 GC/ 23 Bio/ 19 QR/ 19 PAT
~100 hours of shadowing and 100 of volunteering
-URM
-First generation, low income
-Florida resident
I do research, involved with the pre-dental honor society, and have leadership positions in other organizations I am a part of. I also participated in the SHPEP program, as well as have been a TA for chemistry at my institution.

Schools: U. of Michigan, Columbia, U. of Florida, LECOM, Nova, Tufts, Ohio State,
Im not sure how many I should apply to, or how my chances look for the schools I have decided on currently. I would love to hear some feedback about these particular schools and additions/removals to my list.

Thanks everyone for reading
Sincerely, a worried and anxious pre-dent

[EDIT] I thought it may be helpful to include that I have never Withdrawn or pass/fail for any courses, and I received two C's in two math courses during my freshman and sophomore year. I am also an URM (Under-represented Minority)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am planning on applying this upcoming cycle in June. I have completed all of my pre-reqs and have taken the DAT, and at this point trying to gauge my chances and options of getting into dental school.

Stats
3.55 Overall GPA, ~3.5 Science GPA
DAT: 24 AA/ 25 TS / 19 PAT/
~100 hours of shadowing and 100 of volunteering
I do research, involved with the pre-dental honor society, and have leadership positions in other organizations I am a part of. I also participated in the SHPEP program, as well as have been a TA for chemistry at my institution.

Schools: U. of Michigan, Columbia, U. of Florida, LECOM, Nova, Tufts, Ohio State,
Im not sure how many I should apply to, or how my chances look for the schools I have decided on currently. I would love to hear some feedback about these particular schools and additions/removals to my list. (Sidenote: I am a FL resident)

Thanks everyone for reading
Sincerely, a worried and anxious pre-dent

[EDIT] I thought it may be helpful to include that I have never Withdrawn or pass/fail for any courses, and I received two C's in two math courses during my freshman and sophomore year.
URM?

nice job on dat...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my apologies, yes I am!
oh, ok, you have an excellent chance as long as you apply broadly
currently your list is very top heavy
4 out of 7 of your schools are amongst the 10-12 most difficult schools to get into
research school stats in the adea guide and broaden your range to include more in-range and safety schools...

Reactions: 1 user
Your app is very well rounded. Apply to at least 8-10 imo. Look for schools that have a decent oos acceptance rate. Tufts, nova, and lecom are good safeties if that was your intention (expensive).

Take out tufts and nova imo. Lecom is good. I agree with above replies

remove Tufts, add in Marquette
Take out tufts and nova imo. Lecom is good. I agree with above replies
Is there a reason you both say to remove tufts? I thought Tufts was very out of state friendly. Nova is also in state for me so I figured I should apply there also.
Your app is very well rounded. Apply to at least 8-10 imo. Look for schools that have a decent oos acceptance rate. Tufts, nova, and lecom are good safeties if that was your intention (expensive).
I considered Nova and LECOM to be my safety schools since i'm a FL resident. I suppose my top three ranked schools are Florida, Columbia, and Michigan, so hopefully my chances are decent for these schools?

I have also been considering UCLA, which from the stats seem to be very difficult to get into, but I wonder would it be a waste to apply there too? I was going to purchase the ADEA book but i've been told from previous predents that it was a waste of money, so I don't really have a list of 8-10 schools right now.

Is there a reason you both say to remove tufts? I thought Tufts was very out of state friendly. Nova is also in state for me so I figured I should apply there also.

I considered Nova and LECOM to be my safety schools since i'm a FL resident. I suppose my top three ranked schools are Florida, Columbia, and Michigan, so hopefully my chances are decent for these schools?

I have also been considering UCLA, which from the stats seem to be very difficult to get into, but I wonder would it be a waste to apply there too? I was going to purchase the ADEA book but i've been told from previous predents that it was a waste of money, so I don't really have a list of 8-10 schools right now.
Yes, ucla would likely be a waste of time if you’re planning to include it in your 8-10, but maybe a good 11th school? But I couldn’t disagree more, the adea book is amazing and has the most accumulated knowledge of dental school stats/figures.

with your grades, applying to Tufts would be a waste.

I would highly recommend you look at Marquette, they accept half of their class from OOSand is one of the more inexpensive schools for OOS

Hey guys,
After looking through stats & seeing what schools I seemed to like, this is my current list of schools and would feedback on the list & my chances at admission

NOVA
University of Florida
LECOM
University of Pennsylvania
University of Michigan
University of Maryland
Columbia University
Louisville
Rutgers
Tufts
NYU
UNC
Howard

Out of these schools, my top three choices are UPenn, UF, and Columbia (not in order) and would love to hear about these especially, my chances at these schools, and any tips to strengthen my application at this point.

Also, if you happen to be reading this thread and have attended any of these schools, please message me!

Hey guys,
After looking through stats & seeing what schools I seemed to like, this is my current list of schools and would feedback on the list & my chances at admission

NOVA
University of Florida
LECOM
University of Michigan
University of Maryland
Columbia University
Louisville
Rutgers
Tufts
NYU
UNC
Howard

Out of these schools, my top three choices are UPenn, UF, and Columbia (not in order) and would love to hear about these especially, my chances at these schools, and any tips to strengthen my application at this point.

Also, if you happen to be reading this thread and have attended any of these schools, please message me!
It looks good but I honestly don't think you need to apply to NOVA, LECOM, Tufts, and NYU as a safety school with your stats (as in you have a high chance of getting into cheaper schools). So if you're tight on money, you can prob apply to less expensive schools. Btw, our DAT scores are very similar. If you're worried about your <20 QR and PAT, don't be. I was worried since my QR and PAT were rel lower than my other sections but they were no problems. Just write a bomb ps and practice your interview skills. Feel free to pm me

Hey guys,

NOVA
University of Florida
LECOM
University of Michigan
University of Maryland
Columbia University
Louisville
Rutgers
Tufts
NYU
UNC
Howard

Looks good but def take UNC off, they are one of the most OOS-unfriendly schools out there. Since you're applying to Howard, you can add Meharry too