Medical WAMC & Seeking advice on continuing to build my application for the 2021 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I recently completed my MSc degree and am looking to apply in the 2021 cycle. I applied as an international student in the 2019/2020 cycle and was rejected pre-II everywhere I applied. I will be a US permanent resident by the 2021 cycle and am looking to continue to build my application in the next year. I'm hoping for some honest constructive criticism about my application and how to strengthen it.

Undergraduate GPA: 2.67
Post-Baccalaureate (40 credits) GPA: 3.87 (3.98 sGPA)
cGPA: 2.74 / sGPA: 2.78

Graduate GPA
(36 credits, traditional MSc, non-SMP): 3.96 / sGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 510 (taken March, 2019)

State of Residency: Pennsylvania
Ethnicity/Race: White

Clinical Experience: Volunteered with long-term geriatric patients ~200hrs; volunteered for the children's hospital ~150hrs; volunteered as an EMT ~1500 hours

Research: ~300 hours of independent study during post-bacc, resulting in one poster presentation; ~400 hours independent study during MSc, no publications; currently working in research for an academic institution (will hopefully get a pub or two in the next year).

Shadowing: 70 hours of a combination clinic & OR shadowing of an MD.

Non-clinical Volunteering: volunteered for an inner-city non-profit serving pregnant/newly mothered teenagers in underserved communities ~150hrs, volunteer chemistry & biology tutor for undergraduates ~100hrs

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Horrible undergraduate GPA for a number of reasons, but no F/Ws. Re-took almost all the science pre-reqs and received A's in all (with the exception of Orgo, which I took for the first time during my post-bacc and received an A-/A in OrgoI/II).

I'm in the process of transferring my EMT-B license to this state and will hopefully resume my EMS work (which I truly love) to continue to up my clinical experience hours.

Open to all "reviews" and critiques, and also suggestions to further strengthen and fill holes in my app.

Thank you :)

It looks as if you've reinvented yourself quite successfully. At this point, I think you need to continue doing exactly what you're doing, and apply to medical schools next cycle if you wish to. The pieces are all in place for you to do well, and your strong post bacc allays my fears that you would not do well in medical school.

That being said, given your GPA, I would definitely apply to DO schools; you are likely to be screened out at some medical schools due to your cGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:
EVMS
U Miami
Emory
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
NovaMD

Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Additional question, if you guys have the time -- how do I approach being a reapplicant? I did apply to some of my in-state schools (Penn State and Pitt) in the 2019/2020 cycle. Since then, however, I've completed my master's degree and amassed ~700 more volunteer hours.

I've heard that reapplicants need to show "significant changes" to their applications in order to be considered seriously. How would you recommend approaching this?
Since my last application, I've completed my master's degree and amassed ~700 more volunteer hours.

Also, rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

Status
Not open for further replies.