Medical WAMC/Should I add any schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if you could give me advice on my school choice/ if I should add any more? I am a re-app and the schools I am reapplying to are noted on the list!

Stats: 517 MCAT and 3.92 sGPA/3.91 cGPA (Neuroscience major/ Poli-Sci minor)
Place of Residence: Maryland
Clinical Experience (Shadowing): ~75 hours shadowing in neurology and ~75 hours in a shadowing program (OB-GYN, OR, ED, and Podiatry) through my college
Volunteering Experience (Clinical and Non-Clincal: ~200 hours at Crisis Textline (non-clinical)
~70 hours aiding in tests for vertigo (un-paid) (clinical)
Research: ~1500 hours with a neurology lab (2nd author pub and poster presentation)
~500 hours in a neuroscience lab at my undergraduate lab (would be 1 poster presentation that was canceled due to covid-19)
Extracurriculars: President of the medical honor society for a year and a half (150 hours)
Guitar player (won an award at my school ~ 1000s of hours over 9 years)
Paid Positions: TA for Organic Chemistry (2 years ~ 760 hours)
Tutoring for biology, chemistry, and biochemistry (3 years)
Resident Advisor (2 years ~ 800 hours)
LORs: Have been told by my advisor that I had strong recommendations from all professors, employment (RA), and physicians.
Gap Year: Working with kids with Autism, volunteering with a political campaign, playing guitar at a hospice center, and running a podcast about chronic illness (interviewing patients).
Other Stuff: I was a patient with a neurological disorder that faced 3-4 years of jumping between doctors culminating in surgery. I wrote my PS about cultivating communities with groups of patients, reflecting on my time as a patient, and connecting those to my experiences/why I want to be a physician.

My list is pretty broad b/c I made a very narrow school list last time and had non-reflective writing.

School List:
Hofstra
Drexel
Keck
EVMS
Emory (Re-app)
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
GW
Mt. Sinai
Temple
NYMC
OSU
PSU
Stony Brook
UVM
Jefferson (Re-app)
U Cincinnati
UMD (Re-app)
Pitt (Re-app)
Rochester
VCU
Wayne State
I'm worried that you'll be resource protected out of the Drexel class schools because they'll think "S/he will go elsewhere."

For you, here is a more realistic list, and yes, it's fine to add more schools now.

U MD
NYU
Columbia
WashU
Vanderbilt
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Harvard
Mayo
Cornell
Stanford
Case
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
U CO
SLU
U VM
U WI

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think I should be worried about having cookie cutter ECs for harvard/JHU class of schools? I guess it’d be hard to tell for you w/o seeing my whole app!

The solution is NOT to forego applying to those schools regardless of how cookie cutter your ECs are. Your solution, if you apply to high tier schools, is to apply to a greater number of schools if you can afford it. Your stats should set you up well for any school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked into scribing on my area, but unfortunately, they are not hiring scribes within 25 miles due to COVID. Since my app is already submitted, I cannot add clinical hours to it. I am going to take extra shifts with the hospice center (virtual, for now) and update in November/December to schools that accept them. Luckily, my school list is long, so there should be a few schools that bite!
Sometimes one has to apply with the app one has, warts and all, and see how the cycle shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.