WAMC: Should I apply to U.S. with my limited shadowing and clinical experience as a Canadian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Open_Main

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm confused about whether I should apply to the U.S. (MD program) this cycle with my limited shadowing/clinical experience. I'm a Canadian/international student, so I didn't realize how much emphasis the U.S. had on shadowing and clinical volunteering. I have 0 hours of shadowing but I do have some paid clinical experience. I was a research assistant for 295 hours) where I monitored, took blood pressure readings, and interacted with seniors (whom had high blood pressure and were taking a novel drug treatment) as they exercised in the lab. Does this even count as clinical experience?
Anyway, my non-medical extracurricular experiences are pretty decent, I have a 3.81 GPA, and 516 MCAT. Do you think I should apply this cycle, even to just a couple of schools in the U.S. or is better to apply next cycle after shadowing or increasing clinical volunteering

Any input, would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.