WAMC, Should I choose a masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjquattromani

Reaction score
To preface this forum, I am quickly becoming aware that I would have benefited from guidance prior to reaching out at this moment. I have grown increasingly doubtful but still remain optimistic but would like some realistic input.
Overall GPA: 3.61
Science GPA: 3.29
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.12
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Have not taken- Practice tests predict a 21-23 AA range.
State of Residence: Colorado

Undergrad Attended: Grand Canyon University
Major: Pre-Med
Minor: No
Minority? Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+
Volunteering Experience: 500+ in pediatric cancer events, Ronald McDonald, and Children's Hospital
Employment: Over 2000+ dental assistant
Research: No
Other Extracurriculars: President of Love Your Melon Club for 2 years (Pediatric Cancer focused group where volunteer hours took place
Relevant Honors or Awards:
-Deans or Presidents list every semester of school.
-GCU Outstanding Senior Award
LOR type and strength: Dentist and Science Professor. Very strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: I had a medical withdrawal my Junior Spring semester due to car accident.
School list:
Midwestern-AZ (Application due Jan.)
AT Still- AZ (Application due Dec.)

I know that my school list should be much longer but I have come to terms that with these 2 school generally lower requirements AND being private, that if I didn't get in to either I should strengthen my assets. I know my GPA barely makes some average cuts, and my late application will really pose a struggle. I do have struggles from a car accident that I overcame that will be included in my PS in consideration for my GPA, but I don't want to have excuses either. I know that my strengths will be my job, volunteering, LOR, and hopefully my DAT. However, I did not realize it was a revolving cycle application and the dentist I work for advised me to wait as long as possible to study as much as possible for the DAT. Now I am genuinely terrified and anxiety ridden for applying. I took a few schools off of my list that I felt I did not compete for GPA wise. If I do not get in this cycle, I have a 50% scholarship for my Master's Degree which I would get in education focusing on Chemistry as those are my lower grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, since no one responded, I'll take my stab at this. First I have a couple of questions.

1. When are you taking the DAT/what'd you get?
  2. Why is your major Pre-med (doesn't look good when applying for dental...)
  3. What minority are you?
Without a DAT score it's quite difficult to gauge your chances, however, looking at your sgpa and how late you're taking the DAT, it's not looking too hot. I say this because you have to also wait for your score to be verified and sent to all the schools. So make sure you either absolutely murder your DAT or wait for next cycle. In the meanwhile you can apply to those masters programs to keep you busy till then, or you can go into the workforce/do a bunch of volunteering and such. Either way make use of your time and be sure to get meaningful experiences. ALSO DEFINITELY ADD A WHOLE LOT MORE SCHOOLS, like im talking 10-15 if you REALLY want to improve your chances of getting in.

If you can get a 20+ AA/TS on DAT, don’t bother going for a masters. I would just apply next cycle right when it opens so you can focus on doing good on the DAT and having a strong application. That’s the best route.

Reactions: 1 user