Medical WAMC: Should I consider pushing back a cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my stats and a broad overview of my app.
Took 5 years to finish undergrad, 3.71 cGPA and 3.6ish sGPA. 509 MCAT.
Student athlete for 5 years, GPA took a hit mainly because had one poor semester, explainable.
~250 hours community service through college.
1k hours paid patient care as CNA and group home experience.
Will have 4K hours at matriculation if I apply this next cycle as a clinical lab scientist in biotech. Not research but helped pivot a cancer diagnostic lab into COVID testing for community which was an awesome experience, worked a lot with QC and various PhD’s to approve and validate tests. Also now transitioning back into cancer screening.

My main concern is the lack of research I have paired with just decent stats. I hope to be competitive for DOs and some MDs however my stats are low for my instate MDs as well as they are more research oriented (WI resident). Will my lab experience help with research deficiency? Also, my LOR will probably be pretty average. I don’t want to push back another year as I already will be older than most applicants, but I feel unprepared. Should I apply this upcoming cycle? Also looking to add some volunteer but it’s been tough finding experiences during COVID.
Thank you in advance
I also took forever to finish undergrad. I think I took like six or seven years total. I would not worry about this. You always want to apply with the BEST APPLICATION possible.

Now specifically about your app, your GPA is pretty good (science GPA on lower side, but good for DO) and you MCAT is ok. Student athlete will help for sure.

Research is a little overrated (especially for DO schools). I think your clinical lab scientist job will help even though it's not "research." If you are asking if you should take a gap year to get more research experience, I wouldn't.

My suggestion would be to apply to a good number of established DO schools (as I think your app is strong for DO and you should get a good number of interviews), and then apply to your state school(s), and some other lower-tier MD programs.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need research; you're not viable for the research ******, and research is over-rated as an EC anyway.

Target these schools; many of them are service loving.

Nova MD
U WI
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMCMCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
Your state school.

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.