WAMC should I retake MCAT? CARS Killed me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Apply to MD schools only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopetogetin2018

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  1. Hi I was wondering if anyone has a similar academic record and what Medical Schools (both DO and MD) will I have or won't have a chance at admissions? I planned on applying to my state schools (Georgia), the HBCUs and 4 DO schools (PCOM, PCOM-GA, KCUMB, VCOM-auburn)

Background:

I am a 27-year-old African American. I have 7 consecutive years of All A's between 2.5 years in a Post Bacc., 2 years in Graduate School and last 2.5 years of Undergraduate. I have 2 epidemiology papers published and 1 Clinical Research papers in the pipeline to be published. 150 shadowing hours (Primary Care, Emergency Medicine, Neurology, and Pediatric Critical Care). I have over 2000 hours of community service in under-served communities (including about 500 in a free health clinic), I am from the inner city. I have done mission work in a developing nation. Also, have about 2000 hrs of basic science research and 1000 hours of clinical research. I have a few awards as well, one, in particular, the MPH student Achievement Award, giving to the top student in my graduate program. My Post Bacc. was at a top 15 University in a super competitive program.

My GPAs and MCAT are as follows:
AACOMAS: 3.41 cumGPA 3.52 sGPA 4.0 gradGPA
AMCAS: 3.31 uGPA 3.39 sGPA 4.0 gradGPA

MCAT: 505 BB 128 CARS 123 PhyChem 128 PsychSoc 126

kinda devastated about my MCAT because I consistently scored a 125-127 on cars on all 5 of my practice exams. The rest of my scores were about what I was getting on the practice exams.
  1. If possible, could @Goro, @Faha, @gyngyn give your thoughts? Thanks in advance
You're OK. We need URM doctors, so you'll get cut some slack. Add some Drexel/Albany class schools as well

The combination of:
  • URM
  • Seven years of straight As, including 2.5 years of DIY postbacc
  • Multiple publications
  • Socioeconomic disadvantage
Outweighs your low GPA and below-average MCAT. Shoot for MD schools, throw a couple DO on if you're looking to be conservative. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro and Walter Raleigh thanks for your advice and suggestions. One question. Should I just base my school list on the odds (i.e. schools that my MCAT and GPA are above the 10 percentile and who interviews that largest proportion of OOS applicants)? Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.

@Goro and Walter Raleigh thanks for your advice and suggestions. One question. Should I just base my school list on the odds (i.e. schools that my MCAT and GPA are above the 10 percentile and who interviews that largest proportion of OOS applicants)? Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.
Yes; this is how I draw up lists. But add 5 points to MCAT score for being URM.

Yes; this is how I draw up lists. But add 5 points to MCAT score for being URM.
Just to clarify, did you mean add 5 points to MCAT for being URM and then generate a school list with the general rule of thumb of MCAT+5 points above 10 percentile MCAT? Or generate a school list with the general rule of thumb being MCAT+5 points around the median?

Just to clarify, did you mean add 5 points to MCAT for being URM and then generate a school list with the general rule of thumb of MCAT+5 points above 10 percentile MCAT? Or generate a school list with the general rule of thumb being MCAT+5 points around the median?
The former and the latter for URM

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.