WAMC: State School Education cGPA 3.93 MCAT 508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sundelta

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be reapplying this cycle, applied very late in the cycle last year and didn't interview anywhere until after most classes had been filled. I took my MCAT in 2016, when a 508 was more competitive, I worry about it now. I submitted my primary on the first day and am done with almost all of my secondaries.
I currently work in the operating room and also have around 800 hours in the emergency department and a significant amount of time volunteering with ambulance crews.
Shadowing is dicey, an internship I did involved shadowing of different physicians each day, but I never followed the same doc around consistently.
I've volunteered extensively with Hospice, Habitat for Humanity, Feed my Starving Children, various local foundations, and organized 60 members of my fraternity towards community service.

I would be happy at a DO program, but am concerned about the future of DO with the residency merger and whatnot. My dream is a specialty in cardiology and I don't want to be held back from that due to where I go to school

What are my odds? I'm a white male and well-spoken.

I applied to these MD programs:
Tulane-Already received an interview invite
UWashington-Waitlisted last year, made it to #1 on the waitlist
U of Utah- Waitlisted
Temple
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
Penn State-Interviewed last year, waitlisted
Quinnapiac
George Washington
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola Stritch
Geisinger
Arizona Tucson
Arizona PHX
Wake Forest
FSU
MSU

DO:
Midwestern-Interview Scheduled
Rocky Vista-Interview Scheduled
NOVA Southeastern-Interview Scheduled

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
FSU and MSU accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user
FSU and MSU accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton

Thanks for your recommendations! I’ll take at look at those. I included MSU because I was born in Michigan, not sure if that will make a difference or not.

I will be reapplying this cycle, applied very late in the cycle last year and didn't interview anywhere until after most classes had been filled. I took my MCAT in 2016, when a 508 was more competitive, I worry about it now. I submitted my primary on the first day and am done with almost all of my secondaries.
I currently work in the operating room and also have around 800 hours in the emergency department and a significant amount of time volunteering with ambulance crews.
Shadowing is dicey, an internship I did involved shadowing of different physicians each day, but I never followed the same doc around consistently.
I've volunteered extensively with Hospice, Habitat for Humanity, Feed my Starving Children, various local foundations, and organized 60 members of my fraternity towards community service.

I would be happy at a DO program, but am concerned about the future of DO with the residency merger and whatnot. My dream is a specialty in cardiology and I don't want to be held back from that due to where I go to school

What are my odds? I'm a white male and well-spoken.

I applied to these MD programs:
Tulane-Already received an interview invite
UWashington-Waitlisted last year, made it to #1 on the waitlist
U of Utah- Waitlisted
Temple
Drexel
Albany
NYMC

Penn State-Interviewed last year, waitlisted
Quinnapiac
George Washington
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola Stritch

Geisinger
Arizona Tucson
Arizona PHX
Wake Forest
FSU
MSU

DO:
Midwestern-Interview Scheduled
Rocky Vista-Interview Scheduled
NOVA Southeastern-Interview Scheduled
Several of the state schools will be donations. the ones in bold you should get some love from.

I suggest the following:
U VM

U Miami (maybe)

U Toledo

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Tufts

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

SLU

WVU

Wayne State

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

VCU

Netter

Seton Hall

EVMS

Oakland-B

Gtown

GWU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Nova MD

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 user