WAMC - Strong Upward Trend, Good ECs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medimd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had some help from @Goro already, much appreciated. I am a resident in PA but I did my UG/Grad in NY. I submitted my primary this past week after receiving my MCAT Score and I am awaiting for verification by AMCAS. I also have a committee letter (packet) that should be sent out to AMCAS this upcoming week. I received some secondaries back and completed them. I am pre-writing the rest of them during this verification process so I am ready to go by early August.

I have a 3.53 cGPA and a 3.62 sGPA. Without beating it around the bush, I had an inconsistent GPA my first two years UG. I did the numbers and since the summer 2015 semester I have maintained a cGPA 3.81 and a sGPA 3.83, which includes my masters course work (M.S. GPA 3.95). My MCAT score was good in the sciences but I dropped significantly in CARS from my practice tests. This is the section I'm worried about because I was averaging 128 for CARS but really shat the bed on test day. Overall 81st percentile (510 - 129/124/130/127). I know the CARS score hurts, but I hope I have a fighting chance with my science sections.

Clinical Experience = 700+ hours
* Medical Brigade and Water Brigade in Nicaragua
* Volunteered at and endocrinologists office and allergist/immunnologist's office for a couple of months.
* Volunteered at a Veterans Home for a couple of months.
* Worked at an orthopedic office (transcriptionist).

(Current)
* Medical Scribe Full Time
* Upcoming 2 week shadow-mentor program with surgeons and anesthesiologists in the OR

Research Experiences -1300 hours
* Neurobiology and Behavior Lab (Summer 16'-Spring 18'). I still stop in when I have time.
* Co authored a poster and pending co author for a paper.
* Various responsibilities
(managed mouse colonies, surgeries, conducted optogenetic and behavioral studies, analyzed data, tissue extractions, genotyping with PCR, and more if you need me to elaborate further.

Education ECs

* Teacher Assistant for Organic Chemistry I/II
* Teaching Assistant and Instructor for a First Aid and CPR Class.
* Adjunct Lecturer for Cellular and Organ Physiology
* Academic and Philanthropy Chair for Tau Kappa Epsilon.
* Member of the Golden Key International Honors Society.

That's about it. I know top tier schools would be extremely difficult based on the numbers and I am not even looking at those schools. With that said, any recommendations on some reach schools would be helpful. I am also considering DO programs, specifically NYITCOM and PCOM (Philadelphia). Thank you for any feedback!!

I think my top school would be Jefferson btw, love old city Philly and heard great things about the program there plus I would be able to move back home with friends and family, which is always a plus.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Penn State
George Washington
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
West Virginia
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
St. Louis
Any DO school

I had some help from @Goro already, much appreciated. I am a resident in PA but I did my UG/Grad in NY. I submitted my primary this past week after receiving my MCAT Score and I am awaiting for verification by AMCAS. I also have a committee letter (packet) that should be sent out to AMCAS this upcoming week. I received some secondaries back and completed them. I am pre-writing the rest of them during this verification process so I am ready to go by early August.

I have a 3.53 cGPA and a 3.62 sGPA. Without beating it around the bush, I had an inconsistent GPA my first two years UG. I did the numbers and since the summer 2015 semester I have maintained a cGPA 3.81 and a sGPA 3.83, which includes my masters course work (M.S. GPA 3.95). My MCAT score was good in the sciences but I dropped significantly in CARS from my practice tests. This is the section I'm worried about because I was averaging 128 for CARS but really shat the bed on test day. Overall 81st percentile (510 - 129/124/130/127). I know the CARS score hurts, but I hope I have a fighting chance with my science sections.

Clinical Experience = 700+ hours
* Medical Brigade and Water Brigade in Nicaragua
* Volunteered at and endocrinologists office and allergist/immunnologist's office for a couple of months.
* Volunteered at a Veterans Home for a couple of months.
* Worked at an orthopedic office (transcriptionist).

(Current)
* Potentially a full time position as a medical scribe (interviewed this past Friday).

Research Experiences -1300 hours
* Neurobiology and Behavior Lab (Summer 16'-Spring 18'). I still stop in when I have time.
* Co authored a poster and pending co author for a paper.
* Various responsibilities
(managed mouse colonies, surgeries, conducted optogenetic and behavioral studies, analyzed data, tissue extractions, genotyping with PCR, and more if you need me to elaborate further.

Education ECs

* Teacher Assistant for Organic Chemistry I/II
* Teaching Assistant and Instructor for a First Aid and CPR Class.
* Adjunct Lecturer for Cellular and Organ Physiology
* Academic and Philanthropy Chair for Tau Kappa Epsilon.
* Member of the Golden Key International Honors Society.

That's about it. I know top tier schools would be extremely difficult based on the numbers and I am not even looking at those schools. With that said, any recommendations on some reach schools would be helpful. I am also considering DO programs, specifically NYITCOM and PCOM (Philadelphia). Thank you for any feedback!!

I think my top school would be Jefferson btw, love old city Philly and heard great things about the program there plus I would be able to move back home with friends and family, which is always a plus.
You have a pretty good chance at Jefferson. Be sure to send thank you letters, updates, and LOIs. Jeff is one of those schools that love updates from students

@Faha appreciate the list, @Goro provided me with a very similar one with some additional schools.

@MedicineN'Jazz that's really encouraging. I am going to really do my research on Jefferson and make sure to keep in mind what you suggested.

Reactions: 1 user