MD & DO WAMC sub 3.0 GPA, 4.0 masters, 511 MCAT, reinvention/mature student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_professor_cox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all. Wanting to see what you all think of my chances
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. Assuming my calculations are correct my overall GPA (including 32 units of grad GPA) is 2.93. Science of 2.97 and non-science of 2.90. Undergrad GPA was 2.60c/2.39s/2.76 non science.
    2. I graduated undergrad in 2015 and did an accelerated (9 month) masters program in microbiology and immunology where I got a 4.0 in all of my classes.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 504 in January 2018 (127/124/126/127)
    2. 511 in August 2019 (129/129/127/126)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Colorado
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White, Male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. UC Santa Barbara
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 911 EMT for 2.5 years, ~6500 hours
    2. EMT in the ED almost 1 year, 2 years by the time school would start, ~3500 hours
    3. Volunteering with Global Medical Brigades, trips to Africa and Central America, ~300 hours
    4. Volunteering with underserved medical organization, ~200 hours
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Currently working on a systematic review with a surgeon I work with, WILL be published but likely won't be until midway or later through the cycle.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. ED, Trauma Surgery, ~100 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. N/A
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. NCAA athlete first two years of undergrad
    2. Premedical fraternity in undergrad, on the leadership council for one year
    3. Martial arts for 6 years when younger. Got my black belt at 16.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Black belt, not really anything else
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I've been looking through everything I can find about what schools to apply to. I'm planning on mostly applying to DO but have also heard that some MD schools like reinvention so I will be applying to some of those as well.
    2. I'm applying broadly, essentially to all schools that will look over an application with a sub 3.0 GPA. I don't care where I get in, and I know I'll be able to handle school once I'm in, just need to get over that initial hurdle.
Definitely could do with help coming up with schools to apply to and any other advice that you can give me. Thanks a lot in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi y'all. Wanting to see what you all think of my chances
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. Assuming my calculations are correct my overall GPA (including 32 units of grad GPA) is 2.93. Science of 2.97 and non-science of 2.90. Undergrad GPA was 2.60c/2.39s/2.76 non science.
    2. I graduated undergrad in 2015 and did an accelerated (9 month) masters program in microbiology and immunology where I got a 4.0 in all of my classes.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 504 in January 2018 (127/124/126/127)
    2. 511 in August 2019 (129/129/127/126)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Colorado
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White, Male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. UC Santa Barbara
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 911 EMT for 2.5 years, ~6500 hours
    2. EMT in the ED almost 1 year, 2 years by the time school would start, ~3500 hours
    3. Volunteering with Global Medical Brigades, trips to Africa and Central America, ~300 hours
    4. Volunteering with underserved medical organization, ~200 hours
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Currently working on a systematic review with a surgeon I work with, WILL be published but likely won't be until midway or later through the cycle.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. ED, Trauma Surgery, ~100 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. N/A
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. NCAA athlete first two years of undergrad
    2. Premedical fraternity in undergrad, on the leadership council for one year
    3. Martial arts for 6 years when younger. Got my black belt at 16.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Black belt, not really anything else
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I've been looking through everything I can find about what schools to apply to. I'm planning on mostly applying to DO but have also heard that some MD schools like reinvention so I will be applying to some of those as well.
    2. I'm applying broadly, essentially to all schools that will look over an application with a sub 3.0 GPA. I don't care where I get in, and I know I'll be able to handle school once I'm in, just need to get over that initial hurdle.
Definitely could do with help coming up with schools to apply to and any other advice that you can give me. Thanks a lot in advance.
Are there any medical schools affiliated with the hospital (?) where you work (have worked)?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

MD schools are very unlikely with your GPAs. You could receive interviews at some DO schools since your MCAT is above the median for all DO schools and you have good ECs. You will need to apply broadly and I suggest all these schools:
RVUCOM (both schools)
PNWU-COM
ICOM
CHSU-COM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Any new schools that may open for 2021.

Are there any medical schools affiliated with the hospital (?) where you work (have worked)?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Not really? Kinda? I work for UC Health in Colorado and at one point it was University of Colorado Health but I think that affiliation is lessened. There’s not much at all on their website about it.