WAMC Texas 517 MCAT (Retake) & 3.79 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mean Green Raider

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a reapplicant. I applied to only the TMDSAS schools in 2018 with a 3.8 GPA and a 504/505 MCAT. In the interim, I have done a lot more shadowing and volunteering as well as enrolled in a 2 year masters program where the first year we take 3 of the 4 first year blocks with the MS1s and then the 2nd year we TA those same blocks to the incoming MS1s. So here are the juicy details:
1)Overall cGPA: 3.79
Overall sGPA: 3.77
Undergrad cGPA: 3.79
Undergrad sGPA: 3.76
Grad cGPA: 3.79
Grad sGPA: 3.78
2) MCAT Scores:
01/2018: 504 (124,127,126,127)
04/2018: 505 (126,125,126,128)
06/2020: 517 (129,127,131,130)
3) I'm a Texas resident (Howdy y'all)
4) I am white
5) I went to a state school
Other Stuff:
Approximately 500 hours of neurophysiology research & 40 hours of biochemistry research.
70 hours of EM shadowing, 20 hours of neurosurgery shadowing, and 5 hours of ENT shadowing.
Approximately 200 hours at a charity that provides food to food insecure elementary kids.
Approximately 300 leadership hours between 2 positions.
I scored in the 97th percentile on the NBME "Physiology Only" Subject Exam.
I finished in the top quartile against medical students during the Major Organ Systems block.
I talked about my journey of going from 380 pounds to 220 pounds over 2 years and everything I have learned from it.
Disadvantaged Status: I come from a medically underserved area. Growing up we received food stamps and I received free/reduced lunch at various times. I went to very small school (Approximately 10-15 people in my class) so I talk about entering college and not knowing what a cell is. I was also homeless during my senior year of high school and had to work to support myself.
LoR: 2 from medical school professors (1 used to be dean of admissions of the school and in charge of student academic affairs) and 1 from volunteering chair.
Personal Statement: Probably a solid 8+/10 got really good reviews.
School Lists:
  • Already Applied:
    • UT Rio Grande Valley
    • Texas Tech - Lubbock
    • Texas Tech - El Paso
    • Texas A&M
    • Dell
    • Long SoM (San Antonio)
    • McGovern (UT Houston)
    • UTMB
    • UT Southwestern
  • Thinking About Applying To:
    • Baylor
    • Colorado
    • Yale
    • Stanford
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Let me know what you think. What schools should I add? What schools should I take away? What are my chances at interviewing/getting accepted at any of these schools? Thank you so much and pls stay safe out there.

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive interviews from your Texas schools. You could add Baylor, TCU-UNT and Tulane.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive interviews from your Texas schools. You could add Baylor, TCU-UNT and Tulane.

Would tulane yield protect stats like these?

Is there a reason why you’re not applying to all TX MD programs?

What about the University of Houston?

I saw you recommended a 4.0 /518 apply Tulane as well. Would Tulane yield protect those stats? Or is it less of a worry with Tulane.

No. Tulane has a 90th percentile of 518.

When comparing to the medians/percentiles, should the highest mcat be used when there are multiple MCAT scores? Also since their 90th percentile gpa is 3.95, would you say GPA is less of a factor for yield protection?

I would not be concerned about yield protection at Tulane unless the MCAT is 520+ with a GPA over 3.9 and very good ECs.