MD & DO WAMC Texas ORM reapplicant, 3.54/511, school list help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBS4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently on 2 WLs in Texas and am planning on reapplying. I only applied to TMDSAS schools to save money, but am expanding my school list this cycle. I graduated Dec. 2017 and have used my gap years to build my clinical experience as a caregiver and continue my research experience through pursuing a MS.

I would like to add more DO schools, but I do not have a LOR from a physician I shadowed which is a requirement at most schools except a few. Is it worth it to acquire one from a physician whom I shadowed 3 years ago? Or from one I only shadowed for 12 hours?

About me
1) GPA trend
(both sGPA & cGPA) - 3.6 > 3.9 > 3.2 > 3.45 > final 3.54 ... graduate GPA = 4.0
2) MCAT
511 (128/126/129/128)
3) TX resident
4) White male
5) Clinical Experience
1000 hours (caregiver job) --> recent 100 hours as peds dept. tutor
6) Research
1000 hours --> 2000 hours (nothing to show for it other than a MS I should receive in May 2021)
7) Shadowing
80 hours (derm) --> 104 hours (ortho + geri)
8) Non-clinical volunteering
300 hours (tutor/mentoring & leading a fundraiser) --> no recent hours
9) Extracurriculars / misc. / leadership
3 years of DIII Athletics, led fundraisers for my fraternity, marathon running

My List (ordered from highest to lowest GPA/MCAT to Texas to AACOMAS)
What should I subtract and/or add?

Baylor
Case
Einstein
Darmouth
Brown
NYU-Long Island
Kaiser
Cincinatti
Georgetown
Jefferson
Tufts
Saint Louis
Wake
GWU
Rush
Quinnipiac
Creighton
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Nova
EVMS
NYMC
Medical College Wisconsin
Commonwealth
Albany
Tulane
Penn State
Temple
Oakland
TCU/UNTHSC

UTSW
Dell ----- current WL
McGovern
Long ------- current WL
UTMB
TA&M
UHouston
TTU-EP
TTU-Lubbock
UNTCOM (does not require MD/DO LOR this year)

MSU COM (does not require MD/DO LOR)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You really need to change your list. Baylor is out of the picture with your MCAT and GPA. I'd remove all the private OOS schools where your MCAT/GPA is not at their median.

I think your best chances are with TMDSAS schools. Include SHSU, TCOM, and UIW. DO letter is not needed but does increase your chances at II.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS MD schools tend not to interview Texas residents since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas schools. The exception would be if you have a connection to another state such as former residency or attending undergraduate school in the state. You could try a few AMCAS MD schools such as:
TCU-UNT
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Most DO schools do not require a DO letter. Include TCOM, SHSU-COM and UIWSOM. You can add any OOS DO schools that do not require a DO LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS MD schools tend not to interview Texas residents since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas schools. The exception would be if you have a connection to another state such as former residency or attending undergraduate school in the state. You could try a few AMCAS MD schools such as:
TCU-UNT
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Most DO schools do not require a DO letter. Include TCOM, SHSU-COM and UIWSOM. You can add any OOS DO schools that do not require a DO LOR.

Noted. That could save me some in application fees. Do you know if there's any nuance in that tendency when it comes to TX resident reapplicants? I can't attend a Texas school if I'm not accepted there.

Also, on the AACOMAS website, it states that most schools require a MD or DO letter, neither of which I have. Would I even get an interview to any of those schools if I applied?

The MD schools I listed are fine to apply to. You need to obtain a MD or DO letter so see if one of the physicians you have worked with will write one for you.