• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Feb 13, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone!

I'm a Texas resident applying this cycle to medical schools (preferably MD). I got a 509 on my MCAT (128/126/126/129) and have a 4.0 GPA. I did worse on CARS and BB than I was on my practice exams. I have lots of clinical experience (volunteering/shadowing/working), but am lacking research. I was planning on doing research my junior/senior year but COVID stopped that from happening. I'm taking a gap year so I will try to get some then. (I'm graduating this May, finishing my BS in 3 years instead of 4). Does anyone have any recommendations for research experience btw?

I'm debating retaking my MCAT this April before applying in hopes of getting a better score, but I'm worried I won't get a much higher score and honestly, am not feeling very motivated. What are my chances at getting into TX medical schools with my current score? Not necessarily UTSW or Baylor but maybe McGovern, Long, or UTMB.

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback/advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Apply to all your Texas schools (both MD and DO) and you should receive several interviews. Texas schools like applicants with high GPA's. You could also try AMCAS schools such as TCU-UNT, Tulane, Oakland Beaumont, Seton Hall, NOVA MD and Quinnipiac.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.