MD WAMC? Texas Resident cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.94, MCAT 516

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTomFord11

Reaction score
cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.94 MCAT: 516 (127/130/129/130) BS in health promotion and behavioral science MHA (masters of healthcare administration) Graduate GPA: 4.0

Research: ~300 hours theoretical physics with 1 first author publication 120 hours sport psychology research

Leadership: president of multicultural fraternity, community service director for fraternity, philanthropy chair for fraternity, site coordinator for Boys and Girls Club

Volunteer: 540 hours for boys and girls club, numerous volunteer hours from fraternity in undergrad

Shadowing: ~200 hours (orthopedic surgeon, pediatric orthopedic surgeon, family medicine)

Extracurriculars: bass fishing team, Doctors Without Borders (local branch)

Employment: medical scribe through ScribeAmerica

White male from medically underserved area, FAP recipient.

Texas resident: Undergrad UT Austin
Grad LSUS

School List:

1. Baylor
2. Emory
3. Mayo
4. UTSW
5. UT Dell
6. Brown
7. Dartmouth
8. TCU and UNT
9. University of Houston
10. UTSA
11. UTMB
12. McGovern
13. Tulane
14. Georgetown
15. LSU - Shreveport (Good chance for tuition scholarship)
16. Texas A&M

Not sure if I am applying to enough schools to maximize my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS schools for TX applicants are hard to pick, but your choices look good.
I usually say that someone right for Dartmouth is also good for Brown, Mayo and OHSU.
Someone good for GT is good for Creighton, SLU and Loyola.
The real issue is that they are likely to have experienced the reality that TX applicants don't leave TX with a cash inducement.

OOS schools for TX applicants are hard to pick, but your choices look good.
I usually say that someone right for Dartmouth is also good for Brown, Mayo and OHSU.
Someone good for GT is good for Creighton, SLU and Loyola.
The real issue is that they are likely to have experienced the reality that TX applicants don't leave TX with a cash inducement.

I am worried that Texas schools might second guess my application with a 3.6 cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hadn't planned on applying DO. Is that something I should consider?
TX is a funny place. So few applicants matriculate elsewhere that your opportunities OOS have become limited.
You are an excellent applicant but TX puts a lot of emphasis on GPA. Hopefully they will see past this but you can't count on it, sadly.
Ask @wysdoc. Perhaps she has further insights.

Last edited:
TX is a funny place. So few applicants matriculate elsewhere that your opportunities OOS have become limited.
You are an excellent applicant but TX puts a lot of emphasis on GPA. Hopefully they will see past this but you can't count on it, sadly.
Ask @wysdoc. Perhaps she has further insights.

Noted. I appreciate the feedback. My medical school application kind of depends on medical schools looking past that cGPA, I hope my sGPA scores me some points too!

Reactions: 1 user
Add Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech El Paso and U Texas Rio Grande. Schools outside of Texas interview few Texas residents since they know from years of experience that Texas residents will attend a Texas school. You could try Tulane and some of the newer schools such as:
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user