WAMC - Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chazz21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Academic History - B.S. Biology; M.S. Toxicology

Country/state of residence - Texas

Schools to which you are applying –

All Texas MD and DO Schools

MD – CU Denver, U South Florida, U Central Florida, Arizona (Tuscon), Tulane, Loyola

DO – RVU Colorado, RVU Utah, Nova, Incarnate Word, AT Still-AZ, Chicago COM, Philadelphia COM, Touro Nevada

Cumulative GPA – 3.45 (upward trend - 4.0 in Master's)

Science GPA – 3.4

MCAT Scores – 513 (130/127/128/128)

Research – 1 semester interning in graduate school Reproductive Science Lab (~200 hrs); 2 poster presentations

Volunteering (clinical)– 1 time EMT Volunteer instructor (4 hrs); ~20 hours EMT standby on campus events

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties – 40 hrs at oncology clinic as well as 2 years spent working in 2 different clinics (~4000 hrs spent working with physicians)

Non-clinical volunteering - ~100 hrs at Food Bank

Extracurricular activities:- EMT-B certified; 1 summer spent as a religious youth counselor (it was a volunteer position so I hope this is counted as volunteer hours because that would add 100 hrs)

Employment history – Golf course guest services (~30 hrs/week x 2.5 years during undergrad), ophthalmic assistant (~30 hours/week x 1 year during undergrad), full time medical assistant for 1 year post-undergrad, full time drug testing technician during graduate school and post-graduate school

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) - no

Specialty of interest – EM, gen surgery, primary care

Interest in rural health (y/n) - yes

I'm going pretty heavy on DO schools but would love feedback on my list. I know some schools (CU Denver) is a hell of a reach but I have ties to the area and it is a top choice. Any feedback would be welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Very few TX residents matriculate OOS. Since we all know this, unless you attended an OOS school or have some compelling reason to attend, you are unlikely to get OOS MD interviews unless you are recruitment material.
Thank you for the response. Yeah, I received my Masters degree OOS, so I was hoping that would help for certain schools. I know my best bet is going to be in TX schools and OOS DO schools

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response. Yeah, I received my Masters degree OOS, so I was hoping that would help for certain schools. I know my best bet is going to be in TX schools and OOS DO schools
Go ahead and apply to schools in that state, then.

Go ahead and apply to schools in that state, then.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback. One more quick question if you don't mind. Would you consider me competitive for my in-state Texas schools? I've heard mixed reviews, many stating that my community service hours may not be up to par, but numbers-wise my MCAT can compensate for my GPA woes.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback. One more quick question if you don't mind. Would you consider me competitive for my in-state Texas schools? I've heard mixed reviews, many stating that my community service hours may not be up to par, but numbers-wise my MCAT can compensate for my GPA woes.
I've tried to understand TX for decades. No luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Yous should get some love, but not from Baylor, UTSW or UT-H.

"Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) - no"

For now...