• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC?? Texas Resident

tiggertingz

Apr 14, 2020
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello!

I'm an asian american female in Texas that was planning on applying broadly to MD/DO schools in this cycle.

521 MCAT

as of now I have a 3.5 cgpa and 3.48 sgpa with a very strong upward trend (freshman/first semester sophomore year in the 1/2s, got to a 3.1, then 3.6, then 3.89 then 4.0's from there on out with over 20 hours a semester until I graduate)

I'm not sure if I should wait till next cycle where my gpa may cross 3.6 so that I might have a better chance. Also not sure if I should just apply to an SMP.

for a little more context I majoring in Biology and have a minor in social work

I'm involved in:
  • clinical peds neuro research with well over 400 hours, three publications, and committee positions
    • involved in a study for COVID partnered with mayo clinic rn
  • biochem drug discovery research program through my school for about 200 hours
  • volunteering with sexual assault victims with over 200 hours
  • volunteering with the boys and girls club in my city ~75 hours
  • service learning positions for a breast cancer awareness npo (~50 hours) and an npo made to help previously incarcerated individuals (~50 hours)
  • volunteering in special needs classrooms ~100 hours
  • shadowing over 100 hours
    • pulm, peds, oncology, and obgyn
  • medical scribe for a year in the past (orthopedics)
  • leadership position (as a student employee) for a STEM innovation program for the past two years
    • part of the diversity and inclusion board for this department of my school
    • undergraduate TA for the health practicum courses
Any input on extracurricular areas that I need to round out is much appreciated!!

Additionally, I'm not sure if my clinical research is enough 'clinically relevant exposure', so I'm trying to get a job that is clinical. Is it bad that I don't have any hospital volunteering? Would it be better to volunteer rather than get a job that is clinical?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.