WAMC (texas)- Should I Take Another Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plantsandpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.43 sGPA: 3.39 (about the same GPA with a 3.8 senior year). If I don't apply 2021, I'll be taking an extra semester which would bump to 3.49/3.5 respectively as long as I get A's)
  2. Major: Research Psych Minor: Biology
  3. MCAT: 518, CARS: 130, B/B: 129, C/P: 128, P/S 131
  4. TX Resident, Strong Utah ties (graduated hs + dad lives there)
  5. White gorl
  6. University of TX branch school
  7. Clinical Experiences: 1300 hours Anesthesia Tech, 2500 hours scribing (now a COVID ED unit specific scribe)
  8. Research: 5 months of Physio Psych Research, on hold due to COVID
  9. Shadowing: 24 hours ED shadowing, 12 hours Cardio ICU shadowing, 12 hours Neuro ICU shadowing, 60 hours Ortho Surgery Shadowing, could prob get some doctors from my anesthesia tech job to sign off on the informal shadowing I did with them (we didn't have anything to do in between surgeries so i quite often just watched surgeries and talked with the doc from behind anesthesia drape).
  10. Volunteering: SPCA Animal Socialization (500 hours), Veterans/Nursing Home Visits and Vision Health Education (100 hours), Held Nursing Home Social Events (50 hours). Currently working with TheraPet to become a therapy dog handler and visit patients in hospitals.
  11. Leadership: President of Order of Omega (honor society), VP Administration (secretary) for Panhellenic (sorority governing board), Academic Chair for my sorority x 2 years, VP Member Ed for my sorority, VP Recruitment for my sorority. Involvement: AMSA Member, Pre-Health org Member, Women in Stem Member, Psi Chi Psychology Major Org
  12. Dean's List, Greek Life high honors. Most Hardworking x 3 semesters in my sorority but that's a dumb one that won't be on the app prob lol
  13. My advisor stressed being well rounded and basically said GPA doesn't matter if your EC's and mcat are good so I got a B in like every science my first two years (was also working 60+ hours a week). All science classes recently have been A's. I'm a psych major- adding one more semester of science courses would bump it to a 3.5 since I have basically just the prereq's and genetics and biochem.
My school list would look like:
-All TX Schools (not baylor)
-University of Utah (strong ties)
-Hofstra
-Emory
-NYU LI
-Einstein
-OHSU (have family member with a ton of connections there)
-Dartmouth
-Miami
-Colorado
-Drexel
-Nova (MD + DO)
-Rush
-Illinois
-Loyola
-Albany
-Netter
-Tulane
-UNT (DO)
-Chicago (DO)
-NYIT (DO)
- Touro (DO)
-Rocky Vista (DO)
-Touro (DO)
-Pacific Northwestern (DO)
-Mount Sinai (have a really good LOR from an alum willing to write specifically for them, aware that it's a reach)
-Noorda (DO)

I qualify for FAP so I get 20 freebies so there's a few extra reaches. I feel like I'm pretty on par for DO, but having worked in surgery I have a good feeling I'll lean that way for specialty so I would prefer MD. I'd rather wait and be a better MD candidate than apply now with all MD's as a reach.

TIA for input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a good shot and that it's not worth it to let your MCAT get too old before applying. I can't comment much on your school list, other than to suggest that you throw in UIWSOM and AZCOM as well. UIW because they're in Texas, AZCOM because they use the same essays, basically, as CCOM and are similarly strong.