• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC? Thanks so much!

D

deleted992680

Hi! I just got back my MCAT score and I received a 510 (127/125/128/130), is this bad? My cGPA is a 3.816 and my sGPA is around a 3.75. I'm applying to the following schools this cycle, and because of money, I want to reduce the number of DO schools I'm applying to from 10 to 5, would that be alright with my stats, or should I keep it at 10? Here are the schools:

DO:
  • AT Still Arizona
  • Midwestern (Chicago)
  • Des Moines
  • Kansas City
  • Burrell New Mexico
  • Lincoln
  • Nova
  • PCOM
  • NYIT COM
  • UNECOM
  • William Carey COM

MD:
  • Rush
  • St. Louis
  • Creighton
  • Loyola
  • Hackensack-Meridian
  • Sidney-Kimmel Jefferson
  • Drexel
  • Tulane
  • Albany
  • Frank Netter
  • UConn (my state school)
  • UVM
  • Emory
  • Rochester
  • Einstein
  • Georgetown
  • George Washington
  • Virginia Tech Carillion
  • Penn State
  • Wake Forest
  • MC Wisconsin
  • Tufts
  • Brown
  • Boston University

Thank you all so much, I'm particularly worried about the 125 CARS score. Even though I was born here, English is my second language and I didn't start learning it until I was 6-7 years old. Sorry if this comes off as me justifying/trying to get brownie points, but CARS has genuinely been difficult for me. Thank you again!

D

deleted992680

@Faha Hello! My state of residency is Connecticut! When you say hours, do you mean current or do you want a combined total of those anticipated and current?

So I'm a rising senior at UConn undergrad and there are the things I've done.:

Undergraduate Student Government -- 200 hours
Research Assistant -- doing research and will write a Thesis -- 300 hours (anticipated and current)
Mentor for 5th and 6th graders of underserved communities -- 150 hours; worked with kids to help them develop social skills
Volunteer at Cancer center @ hospital -- working with cancer patients from medically underserved populations -- 300 hours (done 150 hours, anticipate 150 hours)
TA for Biochem -- 250 hours (done 150, anticipate 100 hours)
Stop the Bleed Instructor -- 200 hours (done 100 hours, anticipate 100 hours)
Resident Assistant -- 500 hours (done 250 hours, anticipate another 250 hours)
Honors for Diversity (club that works with racially underrepresented Honors students at UConn) -- 200 hours
Certified Nurse Aide -- 250 hours
Shadowed 2 Doctors for a total of 125 hours (1 pediatrician and 1 internal medicine -- b/c I'm interested in primary care)
Research Program at UCSF - 300 hours; conducted public health research and did a poster presentation (no publication)
Crisis Counselor w/ Crisis Text Line -- currently at 50 hours, but I anticipate to complete 250-300 hours by the time I enter med school.

About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
You have several schools on your list that are reaches with your MCAT of 510. I suggest these schools:
UConn
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
You can remove Burrell, Lincoln and William Carey from your DO list.

Reactions: 1 user

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
I'm heavily considering applying Early Decision to my state school as it's my top choice, would you suggest I do that? @Faha
The disadvantage of applying early decision is that if you are not accepted then you may be late in the application cycle for other MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.