WAMC Thoughts on my change in direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAKRPH

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been pursuing a career in pharmacy for the past two years and I am currently working on my pre-reqs. I recently applied this cycle and I was accepted to a couple of different schools, however, with the way the job market is looking I am looking at switching to medicine.

I am a nontrad. I am a 27yo white male currently living in FL (wanting to move). My current cGPA is 3.56 and my sGPA is 3.86 both of which have an upward trend. The only B I received in a science class was a class called introductory chemistry to help get me caught up. I graduated high school a year early and started attending community college when I was 17yo and really didn't take it seriously, so I dropped out before I damaged my GPA any further.

I am currently at a state school and I will have my pre-reqs finished at the end of this semester. I was not planning on finishing my Bachelors since I managed my way into pharmacy school without it. To pursue medicine, however, I would transfer to the University and get my BS in BioMedical science.

I have been back in school now for two years and have received mostly A's with a couple B's and my current GPA at this school is a 3.81. As far as EC's go I have been tutoring math and chemistry for my schools Bridge to Baccalaureate program which is a nationally recognized LSAMP program and have participated in some research which I received one credit hour for I also shadowed at a nuclear pharmacy. Now that I am considering pursuing medicine I am thinking about getting a job as a scribe to pump up my EC hours.

I am sure there are a lot of things I left out. If there is any way I would be able to start a correspondence with someone knowledgable I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get 200 hours volunteering with the underserved (tutoring to poor kids, soup kitchen) 200 clinical (hospice, ER) 50 shadowing (include a primary care doc) do a little bit of research. Do well in the MCAT and keep your gpa up and you’ll be fine.

Also craft your essays well about your transition to med and be prepared to answer related questions and don’t just say job market

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get 200 hours volunteering with the underserved (tutoring to poor kids, soup kitchen) 200 clinical (hospice, ER) 50 shadowing (include a primary care doc) do a little bit of research. Do well in the MCAT and keep your gpa up and you’ll be fine.

Also craft your essays well about your transition to med and be prepared to answer related questions and don’t just say job market
I have an interview this coming Saturday to start working as an ED scribe so clinical will be taken care of. I will be starting to volunteer at the local hospice center shortly as well. I also got connected through a friend with a cardiologist and ortho that I will be able to start shadowing. The only thing I see a problem with is getting some more research done. I will also be studying for the MCAT to take in May. I am currently taking 21 credits so throwing in all this extra may make my head explode lol but I perform well under pressure.

Will the schools that I apply to be able to see that I have applied to pharmacy school? I was thinking I would just totally leave this out.

I know it's hard to say without an official MCAT score but do you think this would make me competitive for DO or MD? I don't really have any preference.

EDIT: If I did have to answer questions about my switch from pharm to med I would explain it has being able to have more direct care and impact in a patients life. (Which is another truthful reason for my change in heart.)

Last edited:
Does your GPA include all of your classes ever taken, including dual enrollment in HS (if any)and CC?
Yes the 3.56 is my current cGPA and the 3.86 is my current sGPA. Unfortunately my high school did not offer dual enrollment, (would have been great to have been challenged instead of being bored) so I left and went to a school that would allow me to graduate early.

These GPA's include a D in intermediate algebra and two C's in sociology and intro to philosophical reason. The next year and a half will be all science classes.
Currently taking:
Physics I w/ calc
Orgo II
Bio II
Gen Psychology
Low level MicroBio

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think it’d be bad to include your role as a pharmacist for 2 years just make a cohesive story as to why medicine. Also don’t overload yourself trying to do it all at once. If your gpa suffers that is bad. If you need another gap year to do it all that’s okay. If you’re doing ED I’d recommend doing some other non clinical volunteering as well. Also try to shadow a family med doc too. Your gpas are good. Just turn yourself into a well rounded candidate and ace the MCAT and you’re golden. Research is not essential just helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think it’d be bad to include your role as a pharmacist for 2 years just make a cohesive story as to why medicine. Also don’t overload yourself trying to do it all at once. If your gpa suffers that is bad. If you need another gap year to do it all that’s okay. If you’re doing ED I’d recommend doing some other non clinical volunteering as well. Also try to shadow a family med doc too. Your gpas are good. Just turn yourself into a well rounded candidate and ace the MCAT and you’re golden. Research is not essential just helpful.
Thanks for the advice!

I haven't been working as a pharmacist, I was just going in the PharmD direction and got a couple acceptances to some schools.

I was wondering if maybe they would be able to see my applications since it's the same CAS system.

I will definitely find a family med doc to shadow.

I have around 60 volunteer hrs tutoring math and chem for a minority program at my school and 30 hours at the salvation army. I know it wouldn't hurt to get more but do you think that will do?

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Thanks for the advice!

I haven't been working as a pharmacist, I was just going in the PharmD direction and got a couple acceptances to some schools.

I was wondering if maybe they would be able to see my applications since it's the same CAS system.

I will definitely find a family med doc to shadow.

I have around 60 volunteer hrs tutoring math and chem for a minority program at my school and 30 hours at the salvation army. I know it wouldn't hurt to get more but do you think that will do?

I’d recommend 150-200. Non clinical/underserved volunteering is a very important part of your app. Personally i would do hospice over ER scribe unless you really need the money. Even then I’d recommend a library job where you can study. If you’re taking a lot of classes having an ER job may push you over the limit because of bad hours/ bad pay. Then throw in some hospital volunteering and you’re goodZ

I’d recommend 150-200. Non clinical/underserved volunteering is a very important part of your app. Personally i would do hospice over ER scribe unless you really need the money. Even then I’d recommend a library job where you can study. If you’re taking a lot of classes having an ER job may push you over the limit because of bad hours/ bad pay. Then throw in some hospital volunteering and you’re goodZ
Ok. Money is not a huge issue but it wouldn't hurt. That being said, I was thinking only working one shift a week as a scribe but those 8 hrs might be better to do in hospice? I wouldn't have a commitment then either which might be nice the night before an orgo exam lol.

I had just heard that paid clinical hours looked better than volunteer since you were doing a good enough job to be getting paid. I also was thinking it might be a good way to network and meet some docs possibly for LoR's. Maybe just volunteer patient transport instead.

Ok. Money is not a huge issue but it wouldn't hurt. That being said, I was thinking only working one shift a week as a scribe but those 8 hrs might be better to do in hospice? I wouldn't have a commitment then either which might be nice the night before an orgo exam lol.

I had just heard that paid clinical hours looked better than volunteer since you were doing a good enough job to be getting paid. I also was thinking it might be a good way to network and meet some docs possibly for LoR's. Maybe just volunteer patient transport instead.

Patient transport would be good, hospice is really good because it’s like underserved and clinical. Those patients oftentimes have no one to comfort them but you. Paid doesn’t look any different than volunteer. I never had paid clinical. But if you can manage it it’s better to just volunteer because if you have a big exam you can delay volunteering and be more flexible. Scribing often has you working crazy hours like 6pm to 6am for basically minimum wage. You do get to see a lot but I can’t really recommend it while taking your course load

Don’t try to do everything at once, it’s a marathon not a sprint and overloading yourself can lead to a crash that’ll make everything harder.

Don’t try to do everything at once, it’s a marathon not a sprint and overloading yourself can lead to a crash that’ll make everything harder.
Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes being 27yo (28 in March) I feel way behind and I have to make up for "lost time" which I know isn't true if that makes sense. The reality is I will be able to start practicing at 36 at the earliest.

I was just hoping to be able to apply this coming cycle that's why I'm sprinting. It'll be a rough 5-6 months but afterwards summer semester and next year will seem like a breeze with only 15 credits

If you feel yourself overloaded the first couple weeks just drop classes and take another year. Protect that GPA. It’s hard to keep it up but easy to drop it.

If you feel yourself overloaded the first couple weeks just drop classes and take another year. Protect that GPA. It’s hard to keep it up but easy to drop it.
That actually brings another question to mind. Are W's looked down upon?

Thank you for being so helpful btw

That actually brings another question to mind. Are W's looked down upon?

Thank you for being so helpful btw

No problem I’m just killing time til med school starts in July. They don’t look good but I had a semester of W’s and no one looked down on them. I had a good excuse (family issues etc). Schools will understand if you dropped from 21 hours if I read your post correctly. Also at least at my school you can drop the first couple weeks without a W so try to dropping then if you can.

Ok I don't think this semester is going to be a problem but I do have 6 W's from 10 years ago when I was 17 and left before I wrecked my GPA any further lol but I figured if you look at those grades from that year compared to my almost straight A's now it would show my growth and how much I've matured.

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

Ok I don't think this semester is going to be a problem but I do have 6 W's from 10 years ago when I was 17 and left before I wrecked my GPA any further lol but I figured if you look at those grades from that year compared to my almost straight A's now it would show my growth and how much I've matured.

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

I doubt anyone will comment negatively about that or even consider it. Make sure to apply broadly but that’s in the future. Just take it a step at a time, you’ll be fine. Thanks bud.

I doubt anyone will comment negatively about that or even consider it. Make sure to apply broadly but that’s in the future. Just take it a step at a time, you’ll be fine. Thanks bud.
I know you really need to see an MCAT score to be able to say but GPA wise you think MD or DO? I can only see my GPA either staying the same or going up.

I know you really need to see an MCAT score to be able to say but GPA wise you think MD or DO? I can only see my GPA either staying the same or going up.

Average accepted MD is at about a 3.6. More weight is applied to sGPA and upward trends are important. I see you going MD all day. The MCAT is a big determinant. Get a 510+ if possible.

Average accepted MD is at about a 3.6. More weight is applied to sGPA and upward trends are important. I see you going MD all day. The MCAT is a big determinant. Get a 510+ if possible.
Nice. Thank you so much. Just gotta crush this MCAT lol

Nice. Thank you so much. Just gotta crush this MCAT lol

If you can do well in science classes and on exams in general the MCAT is just a big test. You’ll get out of it what you put into it. Work hard for a few months and you’ll be fine.

If you can do well in science classes and on exams in general the MCAT is just a big test. You’ll get out of it what you out into it. Work hard for a few months and you’ll be fine.
Besides classes and volunteering, preparing for the MCAT is all I will be doing. I'll be putting in 1-2 hrs a day at least for the next 5 months.