WAMC- top-heavy school list, high stat, high research, medium volunteering, low clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorFate

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.99 MCAT: 520
Double Major: Data Science and Biology
Double Minor: Healthcare Management and Chemistry

Research:
I'm extremely research heavy. I have exceptional research recommendation letters, 7 presentations at national conferences, my own research grant etc. I only have 1 publication currently, but several currently being worked on and submitted. Much of my research also occupies a special niche- it's highly computational and programming-related, ranging from working with large national databases to using deep learning, machine learning, and parallel processing. I have also worked in a traditional wet lab, but it comprises a much smaller portion of my research and is less remarkable.

Extracurricular of Note:
I built an app that was ranked a Finalist for a $50k grant from the American Heart Association that aimed to decrease cardiovascular issues in undeserved communities. This involved direct interaction through many focus groups and interviews with underserved populations.

Non-Clinical Service:
I have a leadership position (VP) in our university's largest organization, a Thon for CHOP, but included working with hospitalized children.

Clinicals:
I have 150 hours of very strong clinical experience in India. Unfortunately, I hear international work is generally looked down upon unless you have a clear connection to the cause. Fortunately, I have such a connection, as the sponsoring organization and activity occurred very close to my maternal hometown and I tied it into my application very strongly. However, it is still international and experience under the American system is preferred.
There are some other activities (all relatively strong), but I didn't want to clutter this post.

I also have 100-150 hours of shadowing (which led to conference presentations and publications- first author) from potential problems I identified in procedures I observed.

My concern is that since my only listed clinical volunteering occurred occured internationally, I may be filtered out of consideration. I also volunteered for 200 hours at two hospitals, but it was standard volunteering and I made a terrible decision to exclude it in favor of more research on my AMCAS activities.

However, many of my activities involved clinical interaction. In the Thon, I worked with hospitalized children. As part of my neuromotor research, I worked with many physically disabled subjects. In my research grant I perform ultrasounds on 15 patients and gather much other medical data. I have designed consent forms and work with highly sensitive patient data.

Finally, I primarily applied to higher-ranked research-heavy institutions (33 schools) and my app shows me to be focused on academic medicine. I'm hoping my app is at least good enough for an interview so that I can clarify my additional clinical experiences. I applied to about 20 schools between rank 1 and 35, and about 10 between 35 and 55, and 3 unranked.

Let me know what you guys think, if you're free!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pennsylvania, applied to 20 schools between rank 1 and 35, and 10 between 35 and 55.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pennsylvania, applied to 20 schools between rank 1 and 35, and 10 between 35 and 55.
Your lack of shadowing and clinical exposure in this country will limit your chances for interviews but with your stats you should receive several interviews.

Your lack of shadowing and clinical exposure in this country will limit your chances for interviews but with your stats you should receive several interviews.
Oh sorry, I should have added 100-150 hours of shadowing (which led to conference presentations and publications from a problem I identified in procedures I observed.

Thank You!