WAMC UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SalTheTyrant

Reaction score
Date of submission: Primary in June/ Secondaries in late August
Overall GPA: 3.76
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score:
25AA / 24PAT / 25TS / 26OC / 30GC / 23BIO / 23RC / 22QR
State of Residence: WA

Undergrad Attended: Top 40 Uni
Major: Cellular and Molecular Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 7 dentists total; 4 GPs, 1 Perio, 1 Endo, 1 OMFS for 250 hours total (half in GP) across undergrad
Volunteering Experience: Alzheimer's Care Volunteer (40 hours), ESL TA (50 hours), Random outreach events through various Pre-health clubs (40 hours)
Employment: Desk Services Coordinator (360 hours)
Research: Ebio Research Assistant with butterflies (540 hours); no papers or presentation. Various community outreach events though.
Other Extracurriculars: VP of Administration for two dorms (200 hours), Cadaver Anatomy TA (50 hours)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Cum Laude, Dean's List, Senior Academic Award in Lab Proficiency
LOR type and strength:
Dentist (and dental prof) - Strong; 1 science from anatomy prof (4 classes with) - Strong; 1 science from Cell Bio prof (3 classes with) - Strong; 1 Non-Science from Ceramics/Pottery Prof (2 classes) - Moderate.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
- White Male, First-Generation, Graduated in three years, Working in non-dental field during gap.
- Terrible 1st year - 3.38 avg. GPA / 2nd year - 3.87 avg. GPA / 3rd year - 3.98 avg. GPA
- Cell bio masochist filled with upper level bios (genetics, molecular, cell, anatomy, head and neck anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, histology, microbiology, cancer biology, immunology, etc.)
- Went hard 2nd and 3rd year to try and recover from Bs and Cs in gen chem/intro to bio including one harrowing 6 stem 22 credit semester 3rd year.
- Just took the DAT Aug. 19th so I'm a little late getting to the party cause covid

School list:
- UNC ASOD (dream/reach)
- UW (in state)
- Creighton
- West Virginia
- Tennessee
- Louisville
- Marquette
- Colorado
- Oregon
- Case Western (Ohio)
- Kentucky
- Iowa
- Nebraska
- Virginia

Honestly, I didn't expect to do so well on the DAT so I had already pre-planned my school list for a 19-20 score. I don't really know much about the differences between UW and UNC because they both seem like great schools. The reason why I first applied was because the dentist who wrote my LOR is a UNC alumni and strongly advocated for going to school there over UW. I didn't think it was that realistic given my lack of dental assisting, low first-year GPA, and that I didn't cure oral cancer during undergrad. But with the DAT score, I'm not sure anymore. I'm looking for feedback on updating my school list to fit my goals of a possible perio, path, or omfs specialization and if I have a realistic shot at UNC.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah your app is strong. You stand a chance at UNC, despite the fact that they’re oos unfriendly. Nevertheless, I’m sure you’ll get into one of those schools. I’m guessing UW will take you on stats alone. If you were looking to add a couple of schools, penn, columbia, and uconn, since these are P/F schools with a solid rep that could help you in your journey to specialIze. Umich also might be a good choice for your overall profile and has a strong rep, but has a traditional grading system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users