WAMC, upward trend, urm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tband

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
posted this in goros thread about reinvention, posting here for more feedback

i had a pretty subpar gpa throughout my time at a state college due to not applying myself as much as I should have. I've transferred to a university now and im doing a lot better.

in total from my state college, over 68 credits i've gotten an amcas cGPA of 2.88 and a sGPA of 2.6
this is including 3 withdrawals, 2 from calc 1, and 3 retakes: bio 1 + lab, and intro chem

my first semester after transferring was in summer

chem 2: A+ (a retake from getting a D in my old college)
phys 1 : B+
phys 1 Lab : A
bio skills (1 credit elective): A
semester gpa was 3.74 with 8 credits

for my second semester which im finishing now, these are the grades i will be getting

orgo 1 + lab : A
calc 1: A-
anthropology : A
social psych: A
REL (mcat elective) : A
total of 17 credits with a 3.95 gpa

this leaves me with a 3.15 cGPA and 2.92 sGPA over 93 credits
I still need 52 more credits for my bachelors, and im planning to take 16-18 credits per semester
if I average a 3.85 over them ill have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.23 sGPA with a total of 145 credits

my ECs would be nothing special by the time i graduate, around 500 hours of hospital volunteering and 50 hrs of shadowing.

I am a cuban immigrant (I know this wouldn't count as urm in florida, but would it help in northern schools?), florida resident, first generation college student, and fluent in spanish.

I haven't taken the mcat yet, but for examples sake lets say I get a 515.

what would my chances at MD/DO be with these stats? should I do a post-bacc/smp? also im planning on waiting until I graduate to apply, is this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro has said you need a 513+ for MD schools, a 510+ for your state schools, and a 505+ for DO schools. A couple years of good grades, like you've been pulling, could make you a solid MD candidate. You should probably plan on a gap year - you need it to showcase your upward trend. You don't need a postbacc with two years (60 credits) of 3.8+ behind you. The fact that you speak Spanish fluently and are a first-generation college student could buy you a little slack as well. I don't think Cubans count as URM but I'm not entirely sure. Service to the Hispanic community might help your case. Good luck. Some nonclinical volunteering might be a good idea as well.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro has said you need a 513+ for MD schools, a 510+ for your state schools, and a 505+ for DO schools. A couple years of good grades, like you've been pulling, could make you a solid MD candidate. You should probably plan on a gap year - you need it to showcase your upward trend. You don't need a postbacc with two years (60 credits) of 3.8+ behind you. The fact that you speak Spanish fluently and are a first-generation college student could buy you a little slack as well. I don't think Cubans count as URM but I'm not entirely sure. Service to the Hispanic community might help your case. Good luck. Some nonclinical volunteering might be a good idea as well.

thanks for the response I appreciate it a ton, i'm going to try to strengthen my ECs a bit before I graduate