WAMC -URM, low MCAT, decent GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

br2pi5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm applying this cycle but trying to get some feedback regarding which schools to apply to. I'm URM, bilingual (Spanish), SES disadvantaged according to AMCAS, 3.54 GPA (upward trend also for the last 2 years), 3.26 sGPA, 501 MCAT (september 2016) though retaking in 1 week shooting for a 507+, MA resident, good ECs. I was thinking:

BU (undergrad done here)
Rosalind Franklin
George washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
NY medical college
Rush
U. Massachusetts
U of Illinois
Howard
Morehouse
Temple
Jefferson
Meharry

Any other suggestions? Thank you a ton!!
PS. I'm taking a risk of applying before taking the MCAT but if I don't apply until I get my scores, it will be too late :/
@gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM @PreMedMissteps @DokterMom @Faha @all things possible

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What ethnic community do you represent? Ands please do not say Roxbury.

delete Meharry, Morehouse and Howard.

Consider the three PR schools that accept mainlanders.

I'm Bolivian. My pre-med advisor thought I would be considered URM.
Reasons why I would delete Meharry, Morehouse and Howard? And any other suggestions for MD schools that are not in PR?

Thank you for your help Goro! I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Bolivian. My pre-med advisor thought I would be considered URM.
Reasons why I would delete Meharry, Morehouse and Howard? And any other suggestions for MD schools that are not in PR?

Thank you for your help Goro! I really appreciate it!
Go read the mission state ments and look at the web pages of those schools

Bolivianos are not considered URM. Spanish skills are always appreciated.

Your current MCAT score is lethal for MD schools, except perhaps your state school. You're fine for any DO school, except maybe Touro-CA

Go read the mission state ments and look at the web pages of those schools

Bolivianos are not considered URM. Spanish skills are always appreciated.

Your current MCAT score is lethal for MD schools, except perhaps your state school. You're fine for any DO school, except maybe Touro-CA

I just graduated university this May and I have been working around 40 hours a week for my university since so I have not been able to focus completely on the MCAT, though I have been studying every day after work. I think with enough time (no job, no school) I could get a much higher MCAT score than a 501. Would you recommend I don't apply this cycle but rather next year? Though my sGPA isn't stellar (3.26), would universities view my application differently with a big jump on my MCAT score (ex. 501 --> 515+)?

I guess I just keep wondering what to do at this point. I've been working really hard for the MCAT and since I won't know my score I'm taking a risk in applying this cycle. I was okay with a gap year but taking 2 gap years seems like a such a long time (considering I have taken 3 gap years after high school). Maybe I take the MCAT in a week and do much better than I think and when my scores come out universities will look at it and it might help? Or maybe I do same as the first time in which case it won't help me and I'll be a reapplicant next year with 2 same low MCAT scores. Or maybe I don't apply at all, take the next few months to ace it and apply next week with a jump on the MCAT but taking 2 gap years.... difficult decisions

Last edited:
I just graduated university this May and I have been working around 40 hours a week for my university since so I have not been able to focus completely on the MCAT, though I have been studying every day after work. I think with enough time (no job, no school) I could get a much higher MCAT score than a 501. Would you recommend I don't apply this cycle but rather next year? Though my sGPA isn't stellar (3.26), would universities view my application differently with a big jump on my MCAT score (ex. 501 --> 515+)?

I guess I just keep wondering what to do at this point. I've been working really hard for the MCAT and since I won't know my score I'm taking a risk in applying this cycle. I was okay with a gap year but taking 2 gap years seems like a such a long time (considering I have taken 3 gap years after high school). Maybe I take the MCAT in a week and do much better than I think and when my scores come out universities will look at it and it might help? Or maybe I do same as the first time in which case it won't help me and I'll be a reapplicant next year with 2 same low MCAT scores. Or maybe I don't apply at all, take the next few months to ace it and apply next week with a jump on the MCAT but taking 2 gap years.... difficult decisions
Do not take the MCAT again until you are confident of a score consistent with success. 505 would be good for DO.
A string of weak MCAT's is far worse than a single bad score.
To agree with @Goro, Bolivianos are not a target constituency for the HBCU's. In fact, non-African Latinos are not a target.

Reactions: 1 user

If you're boning for the MD, skip this cycle, retake the MCAT and apply next cycle.

Do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready.