WAMC: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpvoxman13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is already an existing thread. I will gladly post this in there if someone lets me know to do so.

Anyways,
I am interested in pursuing a degree in clinical social work and would like work with adolescents in a residential treatment setting and eventually work in a private practice alongside this. I have a list of schools that I am looking at but do not know average GPAs, GREs, and things along those lines so any advice, suggestions, and help would be greatly appreciated.

My info:
Undergrad GPA-3.3 with a major in Psychology
GRE Scores- 159 verbal, 151 Quant. 4.5 in the essay
Psych GRE Score-640
I have 1 1/2 years working at a Residential Treatment Facility and about 6 months of volunteering at a mental health facility, American Cancer Society, and a group that researches and fights against child abuse.

Schools (These are all MSW degree programs):

Boston College
Boston University
Salem University
George Mason University
Howard University
Fordham University
New York University
Columbia University
cuny hunter college
Portland State University
Yeshiva University
Stony Brook University
Rhode Island College
Touro College
University of Denver

Thanks everyone for any insight into these programs and where I stand on getting into one.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, you'll do fine. You definitely don't need to apply to that many schools. And take Touro off your list quickly. Though if you are worried, as long as your check cashes, you'll be admitted there for sure.

Of the NYC programs, Hunter is considered to provide the best return on investment, especially if you are paying in state tuition. NYU and Columbia have great programs with different emphases, but I don't think that kind of tuition is really viable in the social work field. I hear Yeshiva can be generous with scholarships, but if they aren't for you, there I don't see a reason to go there over the "big name" nyc msw programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will do fine. You pretty much aced the writing component on the GRE, so writing papers (a big part of a msw program) should be cake. You may even get a advanced practicum as a first year (fight for it) with your past experience. How are you when it comes to working in groups with other ppl? (I could not stand this part of the school experience). Last but not least, try to get your education paid for; a lot of the ones you list are private, which will be a lot of money.

You will do fine. You pretty much aced the writing component on the GRE, so writing papers (a big part of a msw program) should be cake. You may even get a advanced practicum as a first year (fight for it) with your past experience. How are you when it comes to working in groups with other ppl? (I could not stand this part of the school experience). Last but not least, try to get your education paid for; a lot of the ones you list are private, which will be a lot of money.

Definitely dont go into too much debt over a masters OP.

Thanks for the replies. Feeling better about my chances. Anyone know anything about Portland State or University of Denver? I had some situation changes and will not be applying to basically all New York school now. Still wouldn't mind many of the New York schools though. I didn't really mind group work in school. I am pretty good about making sure things get done and getting the group to work well together.

One of my MSW cohort went to university of Denver before our program. Her only complaint was the cost, thus the transfer.

What is a fair price for a program. I thought that University of Denver gave stipends and scholarships for their social work program.

Hello,
I just recently graduated from a university as a psych major/biological science minor. I was originally going for a pre-med route and taking all the pre-reqs for medical schools and biological science courses killed my gpa. It was already too late to bring up my overall gpa and I wish I gave up the pre-med route sooner.
After graduation, I realized that I enjoyed studying psychology and began researching for different Master's Programs. I want to apply for IO Psych and clinical psych for incoming fall and I wanted to see what my chances would be.
The following are my stats:

2010-2013
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biological Science
Undergrad GPA: 2.59
Major GPA: 3.22
(56 credits of science courses: gchem, ochem, bio, physics)
Experience: ~2 years as a research assistant, 7 months as college counselor (intern), volunteers at hospital, 2 years as an interpreter
Programs I'm applying to:
1. NYU: IO psych
2. Pepperdine: Clinical
3. CSU Northridge: Behavioral psych
4. CSU San Bernardino: IO Psych
5. PCOM: organization psych
6. Columbia: S/O Psych
7. George Mason: IO
8. Drexel: Gen. Psych

(worked part-time while taking 20 credits for 3 quarters/family troubles, which reduced my gpa.)

I am currently studying for GRE and will be working as a behavior interventionist next month to gain experience.

Please provide me with an advice on what I can do to improve my chances. Would taking some grad-level courses at a near university help? I have already asked three psych professors for LOR.

Thank you and any advice will be appreciated.

Hi (apologies for the length in advance),

I am looking into applying to a few I/O and Clinical Psych Masters(Columbia, SF State, NYU) programs and 2 Psyd programs (PGSP-Stanford and Yeshiva). I am geographically limited to New York or California. Hoping to hear from you on whether or not I should continue to apply. My stats:

Undergrad GPA (over 10 years ago): 3.0
Graduate GPA (1 year ago- MPH from a well respected Ivy League grad school) :3.4
GRE: V:720 (168), Q:750(159), A/W:5. 98%,75% and 93%, respectively.

RESEARCH: Virtually no research experience except what I did over a decade ago in undergrad or for courses and short term projects/internships in my MPH program. But definitely no publications. I also have no debt, had scholarships.

LORS: I have 4 LOR - 2 Phd psychologists (one of whom is my academic rec), an MD,MPH psychiatrist and an LMFT. The LMFT has supervised me in my previous employment. One Phd was my professor. The MD,MPH was a colleague in public health who I worked on several student group projects with (and oddly supervised him) and the other Phd is really more of a friend for whom I volunteered in his floor time therapy groups just a couple of times.

EXPERIENCE: I have extensive (over a decade) work and leadership experience working as social worker/community health worker (but am not licensed nor do I have a social work degree so limited in scope) in a government public healthcare setting providing case management, program coordination, healthcare coordination, counselling, project management, trainings and seminars at national and local conferences, creating new programs, etc working with the homeless. I also worked as a case manager in a homeless women's shelter for over a year. Was the president of a mental health group in my graduate program, etc. So I have done direct services work with patients but also worked at a systems level. My goal is to have a set of skills, education and licensure that will further my interests in public mental health policy and advocacy, ability to practice and do clinical assessments/therapy and research. I know that with the I/O degree I would forgo the clinical piece.

I have had the misfortune of a parent becoming ill and passing away while I was in undergrad and another one in grad school and that contributed to my dips in GPA. (If the consensus is that I should apply- should I add an explanation in my SOP?) I'm in my mid-30's if that matters.

Is it worthwhile for me to try to apply? Or are my stats just not worth the effort at this point, especially the low GPAs and lack of research experience and perhaps not the strongest LORs?

I am applying for masters program in marriage and family therapy

I graduated with B.S in Psychology and minored in Sociology
My cum GPA: 3.7
Major GPA:3.94
GRE: V-159(81%) Q-153(53%) AW-4.0 (54%)

I have two really good letters of recommendation, but then I ended up having to use my old general manager as my third recommendation because one of my professors died. But my manager knows me well, has worked with me for a long time, and thinks highly of me.

But basically I'm worried that since I don't have any research experience that this will automatically put me out of the running for most good graduate programs. I have worked a lot in customer service type jobs. I have a lot of experience dealing with people and I paid my way through undergrad-worked two jobs and always maintained status as a full time student.....but I don't know if that even means anything.

My reach schools are:
Drexel
Purdue
Auburn (no hope here)

I haven't decided on any safety schools yet, but I'm scared I have no chance of getting in anywhere. I have no idea how competitive MFT programs are, or how important research experience is in the master's level of these programs, especially right out of undergrad.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...I just have no idea where I stand

I am applying for masters program in marriage and family therapy

I graduated with B.S in Psychology and minored in Sociology
My cum GPA: 3.7
Major GPA:3.94
GRE: V-159(81%) Q-153(53%) AW-4.0 (54%)

I have two really good letters of recommendation, but then I ended up having to use my old general manager as my third recommendation because one of my professors died. But my manager knows me well, has worked with me for a long time, and thinks highly of me.

But basically I'm worried that since I don't have any research experience that this will automatically put me out of the running for most good graduate programs. I have worked a lot in customer service type jobs. I have a lot of experience dealing with people and I paid my way through undergrad-worked two jobs and always maintained status as a full time student.....but I don't know if that even means anything.

My reach schools are:
Drexel
Purdue
Auburn (no hope here)

I haven't decided on any safety schools yet, but I'm scared I have no chance of getting in anywhere. I have no idea how competitive MFT programs are, or how important research experience is in the master's level of these programs, especially right out of undergrad.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...I just have no idea where I stand

Have you looked into Pepperdine University? They have a similar program there

I am also applying for Master's programs in Marriage and Family therapy at CSU Long Beach, CSU LA, CSU Northridge, and Mount St Mary's

I graduated with B.S in Recreation Therapy and minored in Psychology
My cum GPA: 3.3
Major GPA:3.5

Healthcare Experience:
1 year as a clinical research coordinator for varying pharmaceutical companies
3 years as a Recreational Therapist in a clinical behavioral health setting (1 year post undergrad in a Recreation Therapy Fellowship at UNC Hospitals in the Psychiatric Hospital, 1 year at the state psychiatric hospital in North Carolina and now I am currently in California at a private psychiatric hospital.)

Since a lot of people have never heard of Recreation Therapy - in an inpatient behavioral health hospital, I conduct the groups teaching patients healthy coping skills such as relaxation, exercise, stress management, anger management, expressive arts, etc. The patients I work with have varying psychiatric illnesses: psychosis, SI/HI, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, PTSD, etc.

I have two really good letters of recommendation from my supervisor during my Fellowship at UNC Psychiatric Hospital and another supervisor during my Recreation Therapy internship.

I appreciate your feedback ahead of time :)