This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

Here is a concise questions I'm hoping to get some oppinions on...

GRE- 1150 (Math and verbal both about equal)
GPA- 3.48

Based on ONLY this information what do you think my chances are for getting past that VERY FIRST cut off for equal emphasis clinical PhD programs (not research oriented programs, equal emphasis ones).
Again, I am not asking what my chances are of being accepted or invited for an interview, I'm asking based on only those stats- what percentage of equal emphasis APA accredited programs will actually look more into my application credentials after seeing my GRE's and GPA?

Also, I am applying to some programs that offer full funding and others that offer only partial funding if that helps with your oppinions :)

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am going to be in my 4th/last year of undergraduate this upcoming semester. I'm most likely applying to grad school this fall, but I'm not 100% about whether I should apply to a PhD program in clinical psych. Right now, I don't think my chances are very good.
I should probably mention that I am definitely more concerned about conducting research, but I would like to be able to practice as well. I guess I'm aiming for schools that adhere to the scientist-practitioner model.

Psychology Major/Studio Art Minor (haha)
Undergrad GPA: 3.63
(I took some hard science classes when I was pre-med that totally lowered my GPA :(.)
Psychology GPA: 4.0
GREs: Taking both very soon! :scared:

Research Experience:
I'm currently an RA in two labs.
- I've been in one lab for about 6 months now, but I don't think I will have the chance to do anything independent there.
- I have been in another lab for only a 1 1/2 months so far, but I will be working on an independent project starting late August (with a presentation at a conference at the end of the spring semester). I am also helping on other studies. (I got into a paid program funded by the National Science Foundation; I'm not sure how relevant this is?)

Clinical Experience:
I don't have any experience in a mental hospital, but I'm planning to volunteer at one as soon as their spots for autumn opens. I volunteered in the ER in a hospital for almost two years.

Other:
I'm a member of Psi Chi, APA, and APS. I was President, VP, and Secretary twice (all of different clubs, but I've been involved in each for a long time). I also have leadership experience from before undergrad, but I don't know if that should be included. I have two scholarships, and I'm in my school's honors program. Dean's list for almost all semesters except 1.

LoR:
I definitely have one professor (experimental psych) that promised me a stellar letter. The other two will most likely to come from my labs, but I'm not sure about it yet since I haven't been there too long.

Many people have told me it's better if I take a year off in order to strengthen my CV. I agree wholeheartedly that my CV needs to improve, especially in research. I would like to have a few posters/presentations by the end of next year. I think it would probably be advantageous to stay in the labs a year longer to get better letters.
But I want to apply to a Masters program in experimental psych if I don't get into a PhD program (which is probably what will end up happening). Would it be a bad idea to get my Masters first (if I can't get into a PhD program)? Should I try applying to any PhD programs or would it be a waste of money/time?

Thanks in advance! :)
All your help will be 100% appreciated!

Hey all,

GPA- 3.48

Based on ONLY this information what do you think my chances are for getting past that VERY FIRST cut off for equal emphasis clinical PhD programs (not research oriented programs, equal emphasis ones).
Again, I am not asking what my chances are of being accepted or invited for an interview, I'm asking based on only those stats- what percentage of equal emphasis APA accredited programs will actually look more into my application credentials after seeing my GRE's and GPA?

Also, I am applying to some programs that offer full funding and others that offer only partial funding if that helps with your oppinions :)

This isn't a cut and dry question - different programs have different cutoffs and standards. My personal suggestion would be to take a look at the required APA program data on the websites of the school you're interested in, which should include at the very least the average GPA/GRE scores of admitted students. If your scores are more than .25 GPA points or 150 GRE points south of the average, you may get weeded out.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't a cut and dry question - different programs have different cutoffs and standards. My personal suggestion would be to take a look at the required APA program data on the websites of the school you're interested in, which should include at the very least the average GPA/GRE scores of admitted students. If your scores are more than .25 GPA points or 150 GRE points south of the average, you may get weeded out.

Thank you. Helpful advice.

I was an air traffic controller in the Navy for 5 years and am now 2 semesters from finishing my undergrad in psych. Unfortunately I screwed off in school for 2 years before joining the Navy and after mostly straight A's for the past year I only have a 3.2 and potentially only about a 3.3 upon graduation. Without having taken the GRE yet, are my chances in getting into a Ph.D or Psy.D pretty much nil? I am entertaining the idea of entering a grad. program for clinical mental health counseling but looking at the pay, I think that I'll just continue on the the FAA as a controller if the Ph.D isn't a real option. I was looking at Nova for school. I know the tuition turns off a lot of people but I have a few years left on the GI bill, so that will get me a ways through before I have to pay anything. I just recently started thinking of the Ph.D/Psy.D route so no, I don't have any research experience. Thanks for the help.

They're going to move it anyway, but you need to post this in the WAMC thread rather than making a separate thread...

Hey all,

GPA- 3.48

With GREs below 600 and GPA just below 3.5 I'd say chances are slim, but I wouldn't say they are zero.

Hello, I am currently a rising senior in college. I am a psychology major as well as an English Creative Writing major and an aspiring clinical psychologist. I gave a lot of thought to my future and would like to go on to graduate school for a PsyD.

I took the old GRE exam today (July 2011) and received an unfavorable score.
Q: 650
V: 430

I am aware that a person is allowed to take the GREs once a month, no more than 5 times.
The problem is, the GRE is being changed into the New Revised GRE starting next month, August 2011.

This is really a stressful situation regarding the fact that 1200 is the magical number graduate programs for PsyD really consider; any lower would be unacceptable.

I have 3~4 experience in internships being a research assistant for a psychology professor on-campus, an intern for a nonprofit organization treating depression and anxiety called Freedom From Fear, and will also be interning for four months (Sept to Dec 2011) at a local school called Headstart for Mentally Challenged children.

My GPA is currently a 3.3 and I plan to raise it higher during my senior semester.
Would there be any chance for me to be accepted into a graduate program offering PsyD?
Any advice, thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I just need some clear choices to clear up my current messy situation.

Hello, I am currently a rising senior in college. I am a psychology major as well as an English Creative Writing major and an aspiring clinical psychologist. I gave a lot of thought to my future and would like to go on to graduate school for a PsyD.

I took the old GRE exam today (July 2011) and received an unfavorable score.
Q: 650
V: 430

I am aware that a person is allowed to take the GREs once a month, no more than 5 times.
The problem is, the GRE is being changed into the New Revised GRE starting next month, August 2011.

This is really a stressful situation regarding the fact that 1200 is the magical number graduate programs for PsyD really consider; any lower would be unacceptable.

I have 3~4 experience in internships being a research assistant for a psychology professor on-campus, an intern for a nonprofit organization treating depression and anxiety called Freedom From Fear, and will also be interning for four months (Sept to Dec 2011) at a local school called Headstart for Mentally Challenged children.

My GPA is currently a 3.3 and I plan to raise it higher during my senior semester.
Would there be any chance for me to be accepted into a graduate program offering PsyD?
Any advice, thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I just need some clear choices to clear up my current messy situation.

What kind of verbal scores were you getting on practice GREs?

I was receiving 600s on my verbal score on practice GREs. I took Kaplan to help me study ...
Unfortunately, I received such a low score; I don't know what happened?

I was receiving 600s on my verbal score on practice GREs. I took Kaplan to help me study ...

I think it's still possible for you to get into a free standing for-profit Psy.D program. Unfortunately you may go into $200,000 of debt, receive substandard training and have little chance of an APA accredited internship thereby hamstringing your career prospects. As others will point out, these negative outcomes are not a foregone conclusion but are a significant risk. You should talk to some current (3rd-4th year) Psy.D. students at the schools you're applying to about the downsides of their program and what happens to students after graduation.

I am hoping to get into a good PsyD program. My stats are not great like some of the other people here! It is kinda making me nervous!

GPA- 3.95
GRE- 590v 600q
Subject test- I got a 680 on the practice test...I take the test in Oct. so my score should improve somewhat.

I am interning at an addiction recovery center this summer and will be interning at another clinical facility this fall.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any research experience yet although I will be conducting independent research in the spring. A little late for the application process.
I am pretty sure that I will have good LORs.
I am looking to apply to: University of Indianapolis, IUP, Marshall, Marywood and possibly Antioch.
I know I am lacking in the research department and my quantitative score is low but do I stand a chance at these schools? I am a non traditional student and I have worked full time in a semi-professional position for 8 years, however it is not a psychology related field. I have wondered how much that is going to help/hinder my application.
Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping to get into a good PsyD program. My stats are not great like some of the other people here! It is kinda making me nervous!

GPA- 3.95
GRE- 590v 600q
Subject test- I got a 680 on the practice test...I take the test in Oct. so my score should improve somewhat.

I am interning at an addiction recovery center this summer and will be interning at another clinical facility this fall.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any research experience yet although I will be conducting independent research in the spring. A little late for the application process.
I am pretty sure that I will have good LORs.
I am looking to apply to: University of Indianapolis, IUP, Marshall, Marywood and possibly Antioch.
I know I am lacking in the research department and my quantitative score is low but do I stand a chance at these schools? I am a non traditional student and I have worked full time in a semi-professional position for 8 years, however it is not a psychology related field. I have wondered how much that is going to help/hinder my application.
Any feedback is appreciated!

Hey there-
Take my advice with a grain of salt here because I am also going through the application process myself right now. I would think because you have a killer GPA and GRE's only 10 points below 1200 you should at least get invited for a couple interviews to the schools on your list. You also have good clinical experience which PsyD's value quite a lot so I think it's perfectly realistic to expect to get into at least one school. You probably konw this, but keep in mind that Marshal (being in west VA) looks for students who are primarily interested in serving rural&underserved populations.

Overall, I would not be too concerned. Does anyone else think differently?

I honestly know little about PsyD programs, but if I were an english major who scored in the 600s on practice exams and got in the 400s...I'd retake it. It was prob just a fluke. Sorry you didn't plan for 2 tests before the big switch, but the score is likely to limit you a lot. Studying for a few extra weeks on the new test is worth getting into a better program that will set the trajectory for the best of your career.

Also - elliiee - if you need any advice on bringing up that verbal score, I'm glad to link you up to some resources. I don't know a ton about the new test, but I did a lot of drilling before I re-took my GRE and I probably still have all my bookmarks saved -- just send me a PM.

Hi Everyone!

I have a question about my chances based on GRE scores.... So, I'm pretty bad (that might even be an understatement) at standardized tests and I've taken the GRE four times since 2008. Here are my respective scores:

2008 (1): 490V, 570Q = 1060
2008 (2) 500V, 420Q = 920
2010: 590V, 510Q = 1100
2011: 620V, 500Q = 1120

I have a 4.0 graduate GPA (clinical psyc masters program), a 3.5 (undergrad overall), and 3.6 (psych) GPA. I have a little over two years experience as a research assistant- and it's completely relevant to my interests. And I am finishing up my masters thesis right now.

I was going to apply for Fall 2012 admission to Clinical Psychology Phd programs, but based on my most recent scores I think that my chances are next to nil. I am thinking of making the decision to hold off and continue working for another 3 to 4 years, take the GRE's again (by then my 2008 scores will have fallen off) and hope for the best.... Does this sound like an appropriate plan? As in, am I right to think I shouldn't even bother for Fall 2012 admission?

This is my dream and I will not give up, so any other alternative (in terms of education) is a no-go.

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions/comments!

Hi Everyone!

I have a question about my chances based on GRE scores.... So, I'm pretty bad (that might even be an understatement) at standardized tests and I've taken the GRE four times since 2008. Here are my respective scores:

2008 (1): 490V, 570Q = 1060
2008 (2) 500V, 420Q = 920
2010: 590V, 510Q = 1100
2011: 620V, 500Q = 1120

I have a 4.0 graduate GPA (clinical psyc masters program), a 3.5 (undergrad overall), and 3.6 (psych) GPA. I have a little over two years experience as a research assistant- and it's completely relevant to my interests. And I am finishing up my masters thesis right now.

I was going to apply for Fall 2012 admission to Clinical Psychology Phd programs, but based on my most recent scores I think that my chances are next to nil. I am thinking of making the decision to hold off and continue working for another 3 to 4 years, take the GRE's again (by then my 2008 scores will have fallen off) and hope for the best.... Does this sound like an appropriate plan? As in, am I right to think I shouldn't even bother for Fall 2012 admission?

This is my dream and I will not give up, so any other alternative (in terms of education) is a no-go.

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions/comments!

Hi Passionista! How do you plan on getting your GREs up? Your most recent verbal is okay. Also, what kind of research assistant experience do you have? Have you done any independent projects (like is your masters empirical?) Any pubs or presentations?

Hi Passionista! How do you plan on getting your GREs up? Your most recent verbal is okay. Also, what kind of research assistant experience do you have? Have you done any independent projects (like is your masters empirical?) Any pubs or presentations?

Well, I am hoping to keep the verbal up- throughout the 4 times I've battled with the GRE I've consistently scored in the 600's on verbal in practice tests but for some reason until this most recent time have not been able to reproduce that on test day. As for the quantitative, I guess just hard work. Math has never been my strong suit but it is something that you can practice, practice, and practice. I'll have to build up those skills and if I plan on taking time off- I'll have a long time to do that.

I was a student research assistant at Hopkins for 1.5 years on three studies- responsibilities included everything from data entry, working with participants, and creating cognitive tasks (we created a mental stimulation task). Additionally, I have been working with veterans for 9 months (about to start full time) and the research is focused on developing mental health services for veterans diagnosed with severe mental illness (such as new behavioral interventions, family interventions, etc.).

My masters thesis is empirical and data is almost done being gathered from participants. I will submitting it for publication this semester and hopefully a presentation in the Spring. But yes, I realize that this has not happened yet- so no pubs or presentations under my belt just yet :-/

Hope that answers your questions!

Thanks for your reply :)

Hi everybody, I'm new to this thread and am not quite sure where to post this question. I am a rising senior psychology major and hope to become a clinical neuropsychologist. This was the first year I have been back to school in three years. I got sick while in college and for a long period of time the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. All is well now, but during the year of my illness my grades were greatly affected. I then took a long break from school to fully recover. I am doing very well in school now. However I am very worried about the admissions process and being weeded out based on my GPA. According to my calculations even if I get A's in all of the rest of my classes, which is hopefully very likely, my GPA will only be about a 3.15. However, my Psychology GPA will be about a 3.8 as all of my Psychology classes have been taken post illness. Additionally my overall GPA post illness will be about about a 3.65.

I was wondering is there a way to call attention to the difference in my overall GPA and recent GPA early in the application process so I don't get weeded out. Additionally, should I mention that I got sick? I don't like sharing too much personal information yet I don't want to hurt my admissions chances.

Another Clinical PhD rejectee from last year here...

Like many of you, I've started to reevaluate my career options. Do I really have what it takes to even make it in to a Clinical PhD program? If not, where does that leave me.

Last fall I applied to 6 clinical programs and didn't receive one interview request. I did apply to mainly top notch programs, but I was expecting at least one interview. Here are my stats:

GRE: V-530 Q-770 (I plan to take it again as last year as there was a computer problem that froze all the computers for ~1hr)
GPA: Overall- 3.2, Psych: 3.7 (I was an Engineering-Physics major for my first 2 years. Finished the last 3 semesters with a 4.0 in mainly upper level Psych courses)
Publications - handful of abstracts and poster presentations at EPA and RSA and just first-authored a review article on alcohol pharmacotherapy
Experience - 1 year as undergrad in a Human Factors lab (paid position) and 9 months in a health psychology lab (basic grunt work). I currently have full time RA position for a year now working on a alcohol pharmacotherapy clinical study. I also just started volunteering in a mindfulness/meditation lab, but haven't done anything substantial as of yet.

Fortunately I received some direct feedback from 2 of my POIs and they said 2 things. I lacked relevant research experience (I am interested in mindfulness, strength-based therapies, etc). My overall GPA wasn't good enough to qualify for their university fellowship and that is how this particular school funds the vast majority of their students.

With this volunteer experience I am trying to gain some relevant research experience, so hopefully that should help with the first issue. As for my GPA, there is nothing I can do. Is this going to be a problem for all the schools? What should I work on to become more competitive? Should I focus on less competitive programs?

Any other suggestions?

Just retook the GRE and did improve: V:610, Q:780. I still worry about my GPA. What's the best way to address the lower cumulative? Also, I've been emailing some potential advisors and while I have a few that have responded kindly about accepting new students, most either haven't replied or aren't interested in a student this year. I want to apply to 10+, but how should I go by doing that if the people I am interested in working with simply aren't taking new students? I guess my question is, how wide should I cast my 'research interest net'? I'm interested in mindfulness and substance abuse (MBSR for example). Should I look at people only doing one as well? Because they are generally not seem as similar, I find alcohol researchers aren't that interested in mindfulness and vice versa. Thanks!

Sounds like your research experience should be pretty competitive by the time you apply! And if you can drill that math and get it up, you will probably be set (or as set as you can be in this crazy process.) Just be sure you're doing something different with the math -- more of the same won't get that score up.

I do think you've taken that test a bit much. If you have 5 on there at the time of application, it might not look so hot. On the other hand, the POIs/committees might not see your score reports themselves -- a grad student likely will screen and possibly set up a data sheet. I'd speak to your PIs at the research job and get their honest feedback on what to do.

good luck!!!

Well, I am hoping to keep the verbal up- throughout the 4 times I've battled with the GRE I've consistently scored in the 600's on verbal in practice tests but for some reason until this most recent time have not been able to reproduce that on test day. As for the quantitative, I guess just hard work. Math has never been my strong suit but it is something that you can practice, practice, and practice. I'll have to build up those skills and if I plan on taking time off- I'll have a long time to do that.

I was a student research assistant at Hopkins for 1.5 years on three studies- responsibilities included everything from data entry, working with participants, and creating cognitive tasks (we created a mental stimulation task). Additionally, I have been working with veterans for 9 months (about to start full time) and the research is focused on developing mental health services for veterans diagnosed with severe mental illness (such as new behavioral interventions, family interventions, etc.).

My masters thesis is empirical and data is almost done being gathered from participants. I will submitting it for publication this semester and hopefully a presentation in the Spring. But yes, I realize that this has not happened yet- so no pubs or presentations under my belt just yet :-/

Hope that answers your questions!

Thanks for your reply :)

Does graduating from a university as an undergrad in psych help my chances of being selected for the Psy.D program at the same school?

Hi,

Can anyone give me a little insight or advice on how I should proceed?
(My post is the really long one on this page...)

Thank you so much.

Hi,

Can anyone give me a little insight or advice on how I should proceed?
(My post is the really long one on this page...)

Thank you so much.

Hi Tamini!

Just looked at your post from earlier... I feel like I was in the same position as you 3 years ago when I was thinking of applying to graduate programs. I had some experience but not a lot and nothing independent. I decided to apply for masters programs in Clinical Psych. I DEFINITELY needed that program. I found it very beneficial for several reasons:

1) Allows you to get graduate level coursework under your belt. Sure, it wasn't very intensive (my program was full-time but we were only on campus 2.5 days a week for classes). But it was educational and relevant, I believe that what I learned was beneficial.

2) I went in sort of having an idea about my interests clinically and research-wise. The masters program allowed me to confirm those interests and gain experience in those areas.

3) I opted for an empirical masters thesis and have been conducting my own research and will write it up and submit for publication and a presentation in the Spring.

The program was great stepping stone and the two years flew by- I mean, flew. So, the time off didn't actually feel like time off (it isn't really).

However, one thing to consider is money. I am fortunate enough to have tuition remission to the school I went to, but many of the students in my program did not and took out loans. There is not too much you can with a masters degree, so you might want to ask yourself whether it is worth taking out loans for a masters program. You may decide that it would a better idea to work for a year or two (if you become an RA, you'll get research experience) and save the money.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helped! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Just retook the GRE and did improve: V:610, Q:780. I still worry about my GPA. What's the best way to address the lower cumulative? Also, I've been emailing some potential advisors and while I have a few that have responded kindly about accepting new students, most either haven't replied or aren't interested in a student this year. I want to apply to 10+, but how should I go by doing that if the people I am interested in working with simply aren't taking new students? I guess my question is, how wide should I cast my 'research interest net'? I'm interested in mindfulness and substance abuse (MBSR for example). Should I look at people only doing one as well? Because they are generally not seem as similar, I find alcohol researchers aren't that interested in mindfulness and vice versa. Thanks!

I didn't apply to 10+ programs, only 8. I mean, it's a risk, but you also don't want to waste money applying somewhere you wouldn't want to attend.

I didn't apply to 10+ programs, only 8. I mean, it's a risk, but you also don't want to waste money applying somewhere you wouldn't want to attend.

It's a personal decision. I applied to...a lot. All people and places I'd be happy to go for. The money I spent on apps/interviews is made up for by the stipend I nabbed. To the OP, if you could apply to people who were flexible enough for you to "add in" the other interest, you should be fine. Mentors definitely want people with shared interests, but an exact clone isn't always the best either. :)

On that note, I would make sure that they have mindfulness knowledge. Just because designing mindfulness studies tends to be tricky and it's helpful to have some expertise you can consult.

no need for this to be up any longer.

Last edited:

GPA: 3.47 cumulative (2 bachelor's degrees; the first was cum. GPA ~3.2, but my second BA in psychology (2 years of coursework, including stats) was a 4.0 and dragged it up to the 3.47)

Research work experience: 4 years of work experience as RA on a number of studies with some impressive institutions, research coordinator, and manager/creator of two studies in my field of interest (I basically created and implemented them, tons of freedom, the PI said I was her honorary post-doc).

Question: Is it going to be hugely problematic that I will have an MD and a non-psych PhD (instructor in psychiatry/neuroscience) write me a letter? They can attest to the fact that I think very psychologically and have brought this to our research, but they are not in fact in the field. Will it be enough to have the other two psychologists, who I have only known about a year and a half, write me letters? I also have my senior thesis advisor from my first BA who thought very highly of my work, but that was in a social science field (history) and not of much help here, and a sociologist who could write a recc (have worked with the sociologist most closely as they were the PI for the research I conducted), but I think that's even weaker than the psychiatry instructor and MD.

I am not comfortable sharing the schools I am applying to, however they are all heavily research oriented and tend to be on the east coast-ish (CT, FL, MA, NJ, NC). Several are top-tier, several are not, but all are highly competitive (as is the standard).

Hi there and welcome to SDN, rubybloom. These are just my opinions:

GPA: You are below what some programs would have as their cutoff. This will be a problem at some places but not insurmountable overall. I'd suggest making contact with POIs to get your name out there so they'll be looking for your app. That way, they are more likely to get dug out of the "low GPA" pile if that exists at the institution. It's close enough to a 3.5 that I wouldn't say NOT to apply anywhere. It is an obstacle, but like I said, probably not a deal-breaker as long as you apply widely enough.

Research work: Is that all as an undergrad or is any of it full-time? It sounds like you have good research experience.

Letters: I honestly couldn't really follow your letter writer paragraphs. Maybe a list would make more sense to me. What I think is most important is that you get letters from people who know you in some sort of psychological capacity (ie, if they are an MD who does psych or related research, that is fine.)

I'd be happy to discuss your app if more detail if you want - I also applied to top-tier R1s. Just drop me a PM. :)

Hey guys, I took the GRE today and was less than thrilled with my scores. 640V and 580Q. I felt like I did pretty well on the writing and am expecting a 4.5-5.5. I don't want to retake the GRE since I'd like to start grad school in fall of 2012 and the scores for the new GRE won't be in until November. I also have 1 year of undergrad research experience, 1 year of experience working with patients who have psychopathology at a crisis stabilization center, and my undergrad GPA is currently 3.55, but I have one more semester to bring it up to 3.6+. With the lower GRE scores and GPA, do I have any chance of finding a PhD program that will want me?

Thanks.

Last edited:
mbeck: I got interviews and one acceptance with similar GRE scores, so I don't think it will keep you out. I would apply to at least some programs with no or low GRE cutoffs, though.

Hello all!

Been creeping around here for awhile and finally decided to post.

I graduated in 2010 and I'm planning to apply to Clinical PhD programs for the upcoming cycle. I'm applying to research focused clinical programs, many are competitive. So far I have a mix of ~15 schools, all research matched. My current mentor is the DCT at my university and I'm mostly applying to schools where she has contacts (former students, co-workers, etc.). There are a few schools that are definitely out of my reach but she advised me to apply to them anyway.

My stats -

Psychology Major, Specialization in Bioethics, Humanities, and Society.

GPA: 3.74 cum, 3.85 psychology, 3.89 last 2 years

GRE: 2008 - 490 verbal, 620 quant. 5.0 aw. I originally planned to apply straight out of undergrad. Nixed that and took some great time off.
2011 - 580 verbal, 740 quant. My verbal isn't great but I'm ecstatic about quant.

Psych GRE: 670. Again, not fantastic but I'm happy enough with this.

Research Experience: I started doing research my junior year and have been consistently working on multiple projects ever since. I've been really lucky that my university has a huge program for my area of interest (intimate partner violence, sexual assault, trauma).

Currently working with 3 studies, one is volunteer. All are related to my area of interest. I do basic RA tasks in two (interviews, recruitment, data entry). I'm a major contributor in the third. I help with analysis, writing papers, lit reviews, really anything that's needed.

Senior honors thesis - Area of interest. 2 years of formulation, data collection, analysis, paper writing, etc.

1.5 year experience with study in area of interest. Basic RA but also had some administrative duties.
2 years experience with study not in my area of interest
7 months working on a grad student dissertation study. Area of interest, did interviews, data entry, recruitment.

Publications: My first-authored, senior thesis was just accepted in a major journal (so pumped!!).
I also have a third-authored pub that will be submitted next week. Probably not out by app time but at least in the process.

Presentations: First author at an undergrad fair.
First author and 2 third author abstracts submitted but still haven't heard from the conference.
I was part of a 5-part symposium and my name is on all of the presentations (mostly last author).

Clinical experience: 2 years volunteering with the Sexual Assault Program at my school. I manned the hotline and was on call at the hospital to provide resources to sexual assault survivors.
1 year working with the CMH in my area. I worked with kids with behavioral and emotional issues who were at risk of being placed outside their home.
Summer internship with a substance abuse clinic. I co-facilitated a support group, sat in during intakes and therapy sessions, and assisted with data entry.

LOR 3 great letters from DCT of clinical training/clinical faculty, clinical social worker faculty, and community psychology faculty.

So. I know I have decent enough stats but I am applying to some programs where EVERYONE has amazing credentials. Is there anything I should take special note of? I know it's a bit late to add things to my application but I would like to be prepared if I do have any big issues or weak areas.

Thank you so so much for your help. This whole process is scary and humbling as hell and I really appreciate all the help I can get from such a knowledgeable community.

Last edited:
Hello all!

Been creeping around here for awhile and finally decided to post.

I graduated in 2010 and I'm planning to apply to Clinical PhD programs for the upcoming cycle. I'm applying to research focused clinical programs, many are competitive. So far I have a mix of ~15 schools, all research matched. My current mentor is the DCT at my university and I'm mostly applying to schools where she has contacts (former students, co-workers, etc.). There are a few schools that are definitely out of my reach but she advised me to apply to them anyway.

My stats -

Psychology Major, Specialization in Bioethics, Humanities, and Society.

GPA: 3.74 cum, 3.85 psychology, 3.89 last 2 years

GRE: 2008 - 490 verbal, 620 quant. 5.0 aw. I originally planned to apply straight out of undergrad. Nixed that and took some great time off.
2011 - 580 verbal, 740 quant. My verbal isn't great but I'm ecstatic about quant.

Psych GRE: 670. Again, not fantastic but I'm happy enough with this.

Research Experience: I started doing research my junior year and have been consistently working on multiple projects ever since. I've been really lucky that my university has a huge program for my area of interest (intimate partner violence, sexual assault, trauma).

Currently working with 3 studies, one is volunteer. All are related to my area of interest. I do basic RA tasks in two (interviews, recruitment, data entry). I'm a major contributor in the third. I help with analysis, writing papers, lit reviews, really anything that's needed.

Senior honors thesis - Area of interest. 2 years of formulation, data collection, analysis, paper writing, etc.

1.5 year experience with study in area of interest. Basic RA but also had some administrative duties.
2 years experience with study not in my area of interest
7 months working on a grad student dissertation study. Area of interest, did interviews, data entry, recruitment.

Publications: My first-authored, senior thesis was just accepted in a major journal (so pumped!!).
I also have a third-authored pub that will be submitted next week. Probably not out by app time but at least in the process.

Presentations: First author at an undergrad fair.
First author and 2 third author abstracts submitted but still haven't heard from the conference.
I was part of a 5-part symposium and my name is on all of the presentations (mostly last author).

Clinical experience: 2 years volunteering with the Sexual Assault Program at my school. I manned the hotline and was on call at the hospital to provide resources to sexual assault survivors.
1 year working with the CMH in my area. I worked with kids with behavioral and emotional issues who were at risk of being placed outside their home.
Summer internship with a substance abuse clinic. I co-facilitated a support group, sat in during intakes and therapy sessions, and assisted with data entry.

LOR 3 great letters from DCT of clinical training/clinical faculty, clinical social worker faculty, and community psychology faculty.

So. I know I have decent enough stats but I am applying to some programs where EVERYONE has amazing credentials. Is there anything I should take special note of? I know it's a bit late to add things to my application but I would like to be prepared if I do have any big issues or weak areas.

Thank you so so much for your help. This whole process is scary and humbling as hell and I really appreciate all the help I can get from such a knowledgeable community.

Stats look fine to me. Are you aiming for a research career or a clinical career?

Stats look fine to me. Are you aiming for a research career or a clinical career?

Right now I'm definitely interested in a research career. I do like that clinical programs leave the option open for practice.

To be honest I have no clue what my end goal is. However, I love the research I've done and would be more than content to continue.

Right now I'm definitely interested in a research career. I do like that clinical programs leave the option open for practice.

To be honest I have no clue what my end goal is. However, I love the research I've done and would be more than content to continue.

The reason I asked is because TWU's Counseling Psych program would be a very good fit for your interests in violence and trauma. But it's not mentor model and is slightly practice-focused. Which means if you're a research nut you may need to seek out extra research in addition to what's required by the program. Also requires that you have a master's though.

Hey folks,

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere on this site and I missed it, but does anyone know how competitive Pepperdine's PsyD program is? Any stats on ratio of applicants to admits?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Everyone,

First off, I just want to wish everyone luck throughout their applications! The following are my stats...I am looking for any suggestions or any opinions concerning my application. Thanks to all of you in advance!

GPA:
- Overall: 3.86
- Psychology: 3.88

GRE:
- Verbal: 660 (94th percentile)
- Quant: 710 (73rd percentile)
- Analytical Writing: 4.5
- Psychology GRE scheduled for October

School:
- Received Highest Honors in Psychology for my thesis, which I completed with funding through a small fellowship I was awarded at the school.
- Summa Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Worked in a research lab for 3-3.5 years in a topic unrelated to my focus in graduate school. Developed a great relationship with him as a mentor.
- Worked in another research lab my final year in a topic somewhat related to my focus. Developed a decent relationship with this mentor.

Publications and Presentations:
- Two publications in peer reviewed journals (3rd author and 5th author)
- Two manuscripts in preparation (3rd author and 6th author)
- Seven Book Chapters in Edited Volumes (four 1st author and three 2nd author)
- Eight Poster Presentations at National Conferences (all ABCT) (two 1st author, one 2nd author, five posters 5th or 6th author)

LORs:

Two glowing recommendations and one good/semi-strong recommendations. All recs are full professors in various clinical psychology research departments.

Research experience: I currently work at a psychiatric hospital doing research and have been there for the past year and a half. I started immediately after I graduated school. The experience has provided me with opportunities to work with my population of interest (as it relates to my focuse in graduate school), publish, and develop strong and satisfying mentor relationships.

I am applying to schools in the research focused vein of clinical psychology. All schools have a very strong to a good fit with the POI.

Below is a short list of some of the schools I will be applying to:

University of Colorado Boulder
UCLA
Northern Illinois University
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
University of Montana
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Michigan State University
University of Iowa

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

First off, I just want to wish everyone luck throughout their applications! The following are my stats...I am looking for any suggestions or any opinions concerning my application. Thanks to all of you in advance!

GPA:

GRE:

School:
- Received Highest Honors in Psychology for my thesis, which I completed with funding through a small fellowship I was awarded at the school.
- Summa Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Worked in a research lab for 3-3.5 years in a topic unrelated to my focus in graduate school. Developed a great relationship with him as a mentor.
- Worked in another research lab my final year in a topic somewhat related to my focus. Developed a decent relationship with this mentor.

- Eight Poster Presentations at National Conferences (all ABCT) (two 1st author, one 2nd author, five posters 5th or 6th author)

LORs:

Two glowing recommendations and one good/semi-strong recommendations. All recs are full professors in various clinical psychology research departments.

Research experience: I currently work at a psychiatric hospital doing research and have been there for the past year and a half. I started immediately after I graduated school. The experience has provided me with opportunities to work with my population of interest (as it relates to my focuse in graduate school), publish, and develop strong and satisfying mentor relationships.

I am applying to schools in the research focused vein of clinical psychology. All schools have a very strong to a good fit with the POI.

UCLA
University of Montana
University of Iowa

Looks good. I would perhaps consider adding a few other schools if they are good fit and you can afford it, but you are definitely highly competitive based on what you've listed here.

You look on track. If you don't get in, it's likely due to the crapshootish nature of the beast. Do any of those programs require the Psych GRE? Lame if they do.

Love the screen name.

Hi Everyone,

GPA:

GRE:

School:
- Summa Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa

LORs:

UCLA
University of Montana
University of Iowa

Alright, took the GRE today and the format was completely different than all the practice tests I took (avg'd about 520V, 690-Q). Also, I'm the first to admit I should have put more of an effort on raw definitions. Anyway, (seems to be a theme of alliteration of A's)I felt like I was taken off my element and underperformed.

1070 (440-V, 630-Q)-all unofficial

I was so upset, knowing how competitive PhD clinical programs are.

Currently I at ECU I have:
3.7 GPA(hoping to finish with >3.82)

3.625 psych GPA (A in stats, yet to take research methods and 4 other reaming psych courses)

I have 1 semester in the lab about 9hr/week (presented a poster publication at UNC)

I am waiting to hear back about volunteering at REALcrisis center during my upcoming senior year. I will continue doing research and plan on completing a thesis for graduation (I have rattled my scientific mind and believe I found something a professor would love to support).

Now, what to do what to do....I am retaking the revised GRE on Sept 30 since the old will no longer be available (and students love saving money-50% off Aug/Sept). MY QUESTION-if I don't do significantly better on this GRE WAMC????

I am a 25 year old transfer student who has completed my A.A. so I have only been at ECU for 1 year and I am trying to build stronger relationships with professors; and believe I will have LORs covered.

I'm not your typical student and it is expressed, explained, and then approved (by a good number of eyes) in my SOP. Lost father in 05 to lung cancer, was his executor and friend-took a while to get my academic career on track, but now have caught back up with my potential, etc....

Here are a list of programs I like and feel would be a good fit:

UofA (Tuscaloosa)
USC (South Carolina)
UNC-G
UNC
UT Knoxville
WV
Wake Forest (MA-they train almost exclusively for admission to PhD programs)
Fordam
FSU
UGA
Uof Illinois
UNL (Nebraska-Lincoln)
Syracuse
Kentucky
UVA

Also, any other solid MA programs preparing students for PhD study? Discovered some info on a PhD in clinical counseling, what is this all about (looks like it involves research-usually need MA to apply)?

Any help, advice, etc will be received favorably-I'm sooo distraught by my scores today

Hello Everyone,

I recently graduated with a bachelors in psychology and I am in the process of applying for experimental psychology programs across the country (Not clinical psy which typically has more applicants). I am in a very bad dilemma due to my bombed GRE score. I am horrible at standardized tests and I rushed my study time because of the cutoff date for the revised GRE in August, and I freaked out with time management during the test; I received a 900 (400 verbal/500 quantitative). At this point, I realize my score is not even close to be competitive in these programs, but here's the catch: my academic resume is near flawless. I am literally a contradiction on paper.

For the purpose of understanding my situation, here is my brief CV beyond my GRE score:

I graduated magna cum laude (3.8 gpa) , with honors; I created and defended an individual honors thesis which I published in several journals as an undergraduate. I presented my research at national and regional conferences and symposiums. I also have been working in a research lab at my school for over a year and I've received psychology achievement awards in my school for my research. My 3 letters of recommendation are from, perhaps, the most prestigious professors in their field at my school who I've worked personally with. According to what they wrote, they are literally throwing their life out for me to these graduate schools I am applying to and guaranteeing them my success in their programs. In addition, my life experiences as a Marine combat veteran integrated with my passions from experience to teach and do research as an experimental psychology professor has aided me in writing a wonderful statement of purpose (fingers crossed for this one).

So basically my academic resume is awesome, but my GRE doesn't just suck- it is an abortion.
Since my program of interest is mainly orientated towards molding students for research and academic teaching careers, almost all of the programs I am applying to only offer admittance into PhD programs (no masters programs as a climbing step), which makes competition narrower (anywhere from 40-90 applicants a year), but harder (accepting anywhere between 4-18 students a year).

IN ESSENCE, do you think I have enough here to compensate for this pathetic GRE score to actively compete in this narrow program at very good schools? :thumbup: Or is it just not enough? :thumbdown:

I would be pleased to hear your opinions based off of accurate knowledge or first-hand related experiences ...

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I recently graduated with a bachelors in psychology and I am in processof applying for experimental, cognitive, and social psychology programs acrossthe country (NOT the more popular clinical psy). I am in a very bad dilemma due to my EXTREMELY LOW GRE score. I rushed my study time due to the cutoff datefor the revised GRE, and I freaked out with time management during the test, so I received a 900. (400 verbal/500 quantitative). At this point, I realize my score is not even close to be competitivein these programs, but here's the catch: my academic resume is near flawless. I am literally a walking contradiction on paper.

For the purpose of understanding my situation, here is my brief CVbeyond my GRE score:

I graduated magna cum laude (3.8 gpa) , with honors; I created and defended an individual honorsthesis which I published in several journals as an undergraduate. I presented my research at several nationaland regional conferences and symposiums. I also have been working in a research lab at my school for over a yearand I've received psychology achievement awards in my school for my research. My 3 letters of recommendation are from, perhaps, the most prestigiousprofessors in their field at my school. I'veworked personally with them who, according to what they wrote, are literally guaranteeingtheir life that I will be a success for the graduate research programs I am applying to. In addition, my life experiences as a Marine combat veteran integrated withmy passions from experience to teach and do research as an experimentalpsychology professor has aided me in writing a wonderful statement of purpose (fingers crossed for this one).

So basically my academic resume is awesome, but my GRE doesn't just suck- it is an abortion.
Since my program of interests are mainly orientated towards moldingstudents for research and academic teaching careers, almost all of the programsI am applying to only offer admittance into PhD programs (no masters programsas a climbing step), which makes competition narrower (anywhere from 40-90 applicants a year), but harder (accepting anywhere between 4-18 students a year).

IN ESSENCE, do you guys think I have enough here to compensate for thispathetic GRE score if I was to apply to really good schools? Could I compete with other applicants who have wayyy better gre scores by surpassing them with my published thesis work and yearly research experience? :thumbup: Or is it just not enough? :thumbdown:

I would be pleased to hear your opinions based off of accurate knowledge or first-hand related experiences ...

I am sorry to say that the way GRE scores are weighted in graduate schools is that they look at them as a way to weed students out. Unfortunately your strong CV probably wont matter because they will throw out your application before they even look at your cv because your gre score doesnt meet really any schools cutoff. I would highly recommend taking it again and not rushing this time.

Thanks for the response, and I agree with you as the general guideline for GREscores, but:

1. I technically do not have time to set a realistic 20 hour-a-week study run and take the GRE again. Its one of the reasons I rushed in the first place- because I was too stupid to not take it last summer when I would've had much more time to prepare. I have to start refining my admissions packages and revising my personal statements to submit before appropriate deadlines. Also, the new revised version of the GRE goes in effect in August and thats a whole new ball game for which you have to wait a few months to get your score back, and it currently has no proven prep tools (this goes beyond my deadline times). Hindsight is 20-20!

2. All the schools I'm considering have no GRE cutoff. They mention they observe the entire application package with some stressing more significances on research experience, recommendation letters, and the statement of purpose over the GRE. This is not to say I will get in, of course, but it serves as hope that at least one of these schools may overlook my one extraneous weakness in the GRE with my pertinent research strengths in my honors thesis and my publications as an undergrad which actually prove I am capable of producing in my field- or am I still being too quixotic? :rolleyes:

Some of the more competitive schools I want to apply to are:
South florida
Chicago
Indiana
Purdue
Boston
Brown
Vermount
Hawaii
FSU
Alabama
etc, etc...

I would be happy to get into just ONE of these schools, but just in case every single one of these schools laugh at me (and I expect some will, which is fine), I am in process of definitely looking at smaller tier 3&4 schools for backup plans FOR SURE. Its just hard to find these particular schools because of the lack of publicity. So on a side note, does anyone recommend any hidden jewel schools out there which have a good experimental/ social/ or cognitive psychology program(s) that most likely may accept someone like me? I'm applying for fall 2012. There has to be some respected solutions out there!

Again, thank you for your info guys :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I recently graduated with a bachelors in psychology and I am in the process of applying for experimental psychology programs across the country (Not clinical psy which typically has more applicants). I am in a very bad dilemma due to my bombed GRE score. I am horrible at standardized tests and I rushed my study time because of the cutoff date for the revised GRE in August, and I freaked out with time management during the test; I received a 900 (400 verbal/500 quantitative). At this point, I realize my score is not even close to be competitive in these programs, but here's the catch: my academic resume is near flawless. I am literally a contradiction on paper.

For the purpose of understanding my situation, here is my brief CV beyond my GRE score:

I graduated magna cum laude (3.8 gpa) , with honors; I created and defended an individual honors thesis which I published in several journals as an undergraduate. I presented my research at national and regional conferences and symposiums. I also have been working in a research lab at my school for over a year and I've received psychology achievement awards in my school for my research. My 3 letters of recommendation are from, perhaps, the most prestigious professors in their field at my school who I've worked personally with. According to what they wrote, they are literally throwing their life out for me to these graduate schools I am applying to and guaranteeing them my success in their programs. In addition, my life experiences as a Marine combat veteran integrated with my passions from experience to teach and do research as an experimental psychology professor has aided me in writing a wonderful statement of purpose (fingers crossed for this one).

Since my program of interest is mainly orientated towards molding students for research and academic teaching careers, almost all of the programs I am applying to only offer admittance into PhD programs (no masters programs as a climbing step), which makes competition narrower (anywhere from 40-90 applicants a year), but harder (accepting anywhere between 4-18 students a year).

IN ESSENCE, do you think I have enough here to compensate for this pathetic GRE score to actively compete in this narrow program at very good schools? :thumbup: Or is it just not enough? :thumbdown:

Hi there!

I just went through the experimental phd program app process last year and I'll be heading off to a PhD program in cognitive neuroscience this fall.

I am sorry to say that you almost have to retake the GRE again. Yes, there is a small chance a school might look past it but it is unlikely. You'd be taking a huge risk in applying if you didn't break 1000. Many applicants have scores of 1300+.

More bad news (sorry!) but your CV, though impressive, is not that much different from many competitive experimental psych applicants. In fact, if you've only been working in a lab for a year then many applicants will have more research experience than you.

Your best bet is to try to take the GRE again. Even with minimal studying you might be able to break 1000. The good news is that there are many schools out there and I would recommend looking through the insider's guide to psychology graduate programs. If you find a good fit with a program and bump up that GRE score you have a decent shot.

Good luck!!

In my experience C.V. doesn't matter. The only thing that makes you noticed in the early stages of admission process is the GRE. If you dont have a good score- you get cut and then your accomplishments don't get noticed. Although you aren't going clinical- competitive experimental programs still have high GRE scores.

Take it again is my advice.

You need to retake that GRE. Lots of applicants will be similarly competitive, and your app won't get looked at unless you have some sort of stellar personal connection to a program, given your GRE score. Some schools won't be able to fund you with a GRE below a certain cutoff, and in that case they just don't even offer admission. You need to find a way to study, whether it's now or over the next year.

Last edited: