WAMC: What Are My Chances

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Therapist4Chnge, Dec 15, 2009.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. meyerj2

meyerj2

Oct 1, 2017
    I agree with you that it was partially a waste of money, however what I was aiming to do was get a rough baseline to see how much time I needed to invest to do well. I am a good test taker, but it doesn't help when you haven't taken a math course in five years and the vocabulary is very obscure lol.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. meyerj2

meyerj2

Oct 1, 2017
  4. psych.meout

psych.meout 2+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2015
    And why wouldn't a practice test have sufficed instead of what, $205?

5. meyerj2

meyerj2

Oct 1, 2017
    I think it was $206, looking back it wasn't the greatest decision but it doesn't make sense ruminating on the money lost when I should be focusing more on upping my scores and my portfolio rather than not being happy that I wasted what I can be making in two hours during a counseling session.

6. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    I wasn't suggesting you should ruminate about it, I'm saying it's an example of poor decision-making based on improper information. As another example, seethe bolded section.

7. meyerj2

meyerj2

Oct 1, 2017
    Well, not that I need to defend myself but yes it was a poor decision, and ultimately what I was doing was self-handicapping and not dedicated myself to the test, but It does not matter now. And I'm not sure as to what you meant in what you bolded.

8. KatieNo!

KatieNo!

Oct 2, 2017
    WAMC
    UGPA: 3.8
    GRE: Haven't taken yet, practice quant is distressing (147-152), V 157
    Good Letters of rec, one year research experience with a first author pub, 4 second author posters (national), 1 podium presentation (regional) and 1 poster first author regional (one first place at conference). I am also part of the IRB at a Naval Medical Center
    Clinical experience is lacking but extensive volunteer work with Red Cross and one year as a victim advocate
    Not that it matters but I am a veteran so funding isn't as big of an issue as it may be for some since I have a GI Bill.
    Applying to PsyD programs only. Widener, LaSalle, Antioch NE, and Chestnut Hill. Geographic flexibility is not an option. I am also applying to 2 very respectable MSW programs.
    Any insight is appreciated!

9. PsychPhDStudent

PsychPhDStudent 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Is any of your research experience similar to what you want to do in grad school (in either content area or methods)?

10. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    Are you going to be flexible when it comes to internship and post doc?

11. KatieNo!

KatieNo!

Oct 2, 2017
    Yes, although I would prefer be in the PA area. My husband is going to law school in PA.

12. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    Ok, just keep in mind that some of the programs you have listed have internship match rates that are unstable at best, while the others have good match rates, because they require you to use their captive internships. So, you're either rolling the dice that you'll get an internship at all or you're restricted to what they have chosen to offer you. Furthermore, while Widener's internship match rate is 100%, keep in mind that it is a captive internship half-time for two years instead of one year full-time.

I know that some people disagree with me, but I'm of the mind that captive internships are a bad thing, artificially inflating match rates and covering up for deficiencies and inconsistencies in training. If the students received good training, then they wouldn't need to use captive internships. They would be competitive with the graduates from other programs.

13. KatieNo!

KatieNo!

Oct 2, 2017
    I could try for some of the better programs in Philly but if I thought I had a shot I wouldn't be asking WAMC about programs with less than stellar match rates ;-)

14. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    But that's a false choice. It's not that you have to settle for "programs with less than stellar match rates (those are not the only problems, they indicators of other endemic issues) or risk getting rejected from quality programs. You seem to already have some good research experience, so deferring your applications for a year to get some more research productivity and beef up your GRE scores would definitely make you more competitive.

15. GrahamZenobe

GrahamZenobe

Oct 4, 2017
    WAMC?

UGPA: 3.71
    Masters in psychology (NYU), GPA - 3.97
    GRE: V 168, Quant 163, Psych GRE 790
    Good Letters of rec, 5 years of research experience (2 at a lab while in grad school, 3 employed as a research associate at a rehab hospital), 2 publications (1 first author), relatively little conference experience but a few posters here and there, research has mostly been on factors affecting outcomes for a high-acuity hospital population (stroke, TBI, cardiac/pulmonary). I'm also an adjunct faculty member at a local college where I teach undergraduate statistics, have no idea if that'll help my candidacy.
    Minimal clinical experience, but I have roughly 30 hours of observation with staff clinical neuropsychologists.

I'm applying to clinical PhD programs with neuropsych tracks or generally good neuropsych placements/opportunities
    Thoughts?

free99 likes this.
  16. free99

free99 SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Chances seem strong.

17. singasongofjoy

singasongofjoy 2+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Psychologist
    I agree that chances look good. And yeah, stats will prob help.

18. AllyPsy1114

AllyPsy1114

Oct 10, 2017
    Hello I am new to the forum I am wondering WAMC for getting into clinical and counseling Phd programs.

UG GPA-3.2
    Psych GPA 3.3
    Last two years UG GPA- 3.6
    M.A in Rehab CNSL w/ concentration in substance abuse and psychiatric disabilities- 3.7/4.0 (i took classes at two schools)
    State licensure - LGPC
    3 Poster presentations (2 at national conferences, 1 local)
    1 discussion based presentation at national conference
    4 years of research experience ( undergrad RA, senior thesis, 2.5 years as an RA at a well known hospital doing medical related research) currently an clinical research assistant in a clinical neurobehavioral lab focusing on alcohol related research in addition to doing different assessments working under psychiatrists and psychologists. Will be here for a 1.5 years by the time I apply.
    TA experience for a couple Introductory to Psychology courses
    VA clinical experience
    University counseling center experience
    Previous experience as a Manager at a non profit providing services to individuals with disabilities
    Certified Phlebotomy Technician ( I had to draw participants blood for some studies)

Unfortunately, no publications even though I think I am going to edit my thesis and send it in and see what happens.And i took the GRE twice (1st :143,144) 2nd :146/141). Im not sure if i should take it one last time and start preparing early. I can admit that I could have studied harder Please advise.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    What are your career goals?

Your grades and GRE scores are on the low end, and you will likely have trouble getting full consideration at some of the more competitive schools. I think it will come down to factors like fit, the strength of your recommendations, and how well you can articulate the case that a Ph.D. is a necessary and logical next step in your career development. If you are invited to interview, you'll need to know your research inside and out and be able to speak knowledgeably about the projects you've worked on and your own research interests.

Most of us were in school and/or working while preparing for the GRE. It's just something you have to make time for.

20. AllyPsy1114

AllyPsy1114

Oct 10, 2017

I want to be a research focused professor in addition to being a clinician. I know that I want to do assessments independently as well and that is not possible as a masters level clinician without a psychologist. As far a research i am interested in focusing substance abuse/use prevention with in ethnic minorities and in a college/university setting. It would be great to end up doing studies funded by NIAAA, NIDAA and NIH.

My PI's definitely said they would provide letters of recommendation. I dont think that would be a problem. If i could get my GRE scores up then maybe get past some cut offs. Not sure if my UG GPA would factor more.

21. MamaPhD

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    Some advice. Focus predominantly on one of those two goals in your statement and on interviews. Research or practice. I think the research focus would sell better, that is, if you are committed to it. You would need to be very conversant with the relevant theories, methods, intervention strategies, etc. given the amount of time you've been in the field. You also need to be able to tell a compelling story about why you initially pursued clinical training and then developed a goal of becoming an academic. I think it's fine to talk about your assessment interests as well, but you need to offer a stronger rationale than "I can't do it with a master's." Ideally, your clinical interests would be at least somewhat related to your research interests.

22. AllyPsy1114

AllyPsy1114

Oct 10, 2017

Okay great. Thanks MamaPhD. I'm leaning towards the research aspect as well. Assessments will go hand and hand when I do research anyway IMO. Are there any other things I should focus on? What schools so you think I would be able to be competitive in?

23. MamaPhD

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    I don't know. These are conversations to start having with your PI if not already.

24. xv2000

xv2000

Oct 11, 2017
    Hey all, would love some input with this. I'm applying for mainly Clinical PhD programs but with a few masters as well in case I don't make it this time around. WAMC?

UGPA: 3.98
    GRE: V-161, Q-158, Psych GRE 740
    Strong letters of rec, have worked on 3 or 4 research projects as well as a senior thesis (none of which were published, primarily just for experience. My school is pretty small and doesn't have a ton of money and doesn't publish much) 3 semesters of psychology club leadership, a bunch of volunteer hours in clinical settings, and over 300 hours shadowing in a clinical setting. My primary focus is on personality disorders, particularly narcissism and borderline and the schools I'm applying to have faculty whose research is in that area.

I'm worried I don't have enough research experience, my school is not particularly great for research and there are no TA positions.

25. PsychPhDStudent

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi xv,

Your "numbers" are good -- solid GPA and GREs. Your quant is a teeny bit low for some programs (I usually advise people to aim for 75th %ile), but likely won't be a dealbreaker at most places and probably isn't worth retaking. I'd compare your stats to recent acceptance stats for the programs that interest you most.

Are you still in undergrad? What kind of programs are you interested in?

I would not advise applying to masters programs. You have an excellent GPA. If you do not get in, you are better off securing a ~2-year full-time research assistant or coordinator position.

26. xv2000

xv2000

Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks so much, I appreciate you looking at my stuff! I'm still in undergrad, and my only real general goal is to apply to and get into a Clinical Psych PhD program that I can do research at and receive clinical training. Ultimately hoping to do both academia and private practice. Current programs are UMass Amherset, U Toledo, U Kentucky, U Georgia (PhD), U Texas Austin, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and maybe U Wisconsin Madison. Right now I'm just trying to get a few more programs in there but having some difficulty with the search.

27. PsychPhDStudent

Sep 5, 2009
    If you tell us your research
    Clinical and TA experience really don't matter much, so I'd de-emphasize those at this point and try to get more research experience. That way, if you don't get in this time, you have a little more experience going into the next round. Your chances likely depend on what you did as part of your thesis (empirical vs. lit review) and what your involvement was like as part of those 3-4 research projects you mentioned (data entry vs. statistical analyses vs. developing your own idea, etc.)

I'm more familiar with BPD than NPD research. Other schools that come to mind are Ohio State, Penn State, and University of Utah.

28. go_green

go_green

Oct 12, 2017
    Wondering what my chances are for clinical psych ph.d. programs:

UGPA(duke): 3.6
    psych GPA: 3.9
    GRE verbal: 168
    GRE quant: 158

1 publication
    2 poster presentations

Undergrad RA in cognitive psychology (aging, dementia, neuroimaging)
    Undergrad RA/thesis project in duke psychiatry clinic (mindfulness based cognitive therapy, anxiety, depression)
    Post bacc RA/lab manager in duke center for cognitive neuro. (aging, decision making, neuroimaging)

1 amazing recommendation letter, 1 very good, and 1 good but a little generic.

applying to programs with neuropsych concentrations or practicum placements.

29. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    I'd change that last recommendation. "Good, but a little generic" isn't what you want or need. You want your recommendations to be glowing, because that's what your competition will have.

30. goteli1993

goteli1993

Sep 15, 2017
    Looking for some advice from the forum regarding my chances of getting into PhD Clinical Psychology programs.
    Research interests: eye-witness testimony, difference between brainwashing and teaching.
    Applying to programs in NY, NJ, PA.

My info:
    Undergraduate - BA in Psychology with a cumulative GPA at UMBC of 3.53
    Graduate School - MSW from Adelphi University with a GPA of 3.8
    Was an RA in college for 6 months researching smoking cessation.
    Haven’t taken GRE yet but practice tests is 155 for both verbal and quantitative.
    Since college I’ve been working in a mental Health clinic for 1 year and I spent 1 and a half yearsworking with families of domestic violence

Thanks!

31. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    Sorry, but I'm not understanding how your research interests relate to clinical psychology.

What interests you about eye-witness testimony and the "difference between brainwashing and teaching (whatever that is)" that is related to psychopathology and mental health?

32. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Get ready for significant pushback from an IRB on any project involving "brainwashing." But yeah, that topic is probably better suited in a an experimental psychology or social psychology program, as in the psychology of persuasion. Although, if you're interested in brainwashing as a research topic, you could always join a lab researching religiosity.

psych.meout likes this.
  33. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    Boom, roasted!

34. idilfranko

idilfranko

Tuesday
    Hello,

I need some insight and honest advice about my chances of getting into Clinica Psyc PhD and PSYD programs for Fall 2018. My education info and experience is below. Thanks in advance everybody!

Citizenship: US dual citizen
    Undergrad BA (McGill Uni): 3.38
    MA in Developmental Psyc (Koc University, Turkey): 3.90 (with full merit-based scholarship)

3 years paid graduate research assistant at Koc University in Turkey (including 1 year as Lab Manager in the Language and Cognition Lab at Koc).
    1 summer unpaid research assistant at Stanford Psychophysiology Lab at Stanford University.

1 college psychology textbook translation from English to Turkish (one of the primary translators). Textbook published.
    2 international poster presentations
    1 national poster presentation
    1 article submitted

3 recommendations from my professors at Koc Uni who are my supervisors at the lab. 1 recommendation letter from a McGill Uni prof I conducted an independent study with in undergrad (this one will write a fantastic letter).

Schools I will apply to: UC Berkeley, USC, UCLA, palo alto university PhD, palo alto/stanford PSYD, St Johns University, Queens College, Rutgers PSYD, George Washington PSYD, Boston University, American University, Hofstra Unicersity

35. MamaPhD

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    That list is all over the map. What is your career goal?

36. psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    Yet also not enough all over the map. It's all Cali and major east coast cities. These are highly in-demand areas and very competitive, but the few that are less competitive are super expensive. Even the most competitive candidates are hamstringing themselves by geographically restricting their applications to these highly sought after areas.

MamaPhD likes this.
  37. MamaPhD

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    :smack: Of course. The old "coastal shotgun" pattern. How did I miss that?