SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

WAMC: What Are My Chances

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Therapist4Chnge, Dec 15, 2009.

1. FuturePsyD_

FuturePsyD_

Dec 21, 2017
    Not sure that this will be helpful feedback as I am applying myself, but a comparison is better than nothing right?

I'm applying to Georgia Southern with similar stats. 3.7 Undergrad and Psych GPA, 155V 156Q 4.0A, and over a year and half of experience administering neuropsych assessments full time. I still haven't heard from Georgia Southern, but I have an interview for another PsyD program with similar admissions stats so I am hopeful about Georgia Southern! Completely understand your anxiety about the process! I feel the same way. It seemed like a big factor for Georgia Southern's program was a willingness and desire to work with rural populations so I'm sure that will play into their decision. Best of luck!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. studentofthemind

studentofthemind

May 31, 2017
    Thank you so much for your reply! And congrats on getting one interview so far. You'll do great! I've been accepted into 1 master's program so far, and have an interview with another one (GA State) at the end of this month. That being said, a master's is my backup.

I definitely made my willingness and desire to work with rural and underserved populations clear in my SOP. I didn't dedicate paragraphs or anything to it, though- I hope that will be okay!

Good luck to you!

FuturePsyD_ likes this.
  4. studentofthemind

studentofthemind

May 31, 2017
    P.S. Someone told me that they'd be sending out invites next week!!! Thought you'd like to know.

FuturePsyD_ likes this.
  5. psyguy83

psyguy83 2+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2015
    If I were you....I would retake the GRE it if you don't get in because your quant score is low. I would also volunteer at a lab/produce a 1st-author poster before the next cycle. Last but not least, I would be applying to at least 10 schools per application round because the competition is fierce.

If you do not have it already, I recommend buying "Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology" which outlines a great overall strategy for applying, in addition to providing useful statistics of all of the schools. Good luck

6. PsyD2019

PsyD2019

Friday
    Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and was hoping someone can chime in on this. I am currently studying Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness (MA) at NYU. I am working at a substance abuse outpatient clinic as an Intern and will be done in May this year. If all goes well I will be graduating with a 4.0GPA. I am then planning on working at a child welfare agency while getting ready to apply to PsyD programs in New York, Rutgers being my top choice. I am slightly older and my undergraduate degree is in political science, so I have had no experience in the field before starting my Master's Degree. I decided not to apply Dec 2017 and work for a year after graduating. I have no research experience, which I hear is not a must for PsyD's but was wondering if that is truly the case? Many of my classmates have said that it is almost impossible to get into Rutgers so I am starting to panic esp since English is not my first language and I am worried about my essay's, GRE etc. I know I have a lot of time but I am also a mom, so I am trying to plan accordingly and not get overwhelmed by the time applications are due in December.

Anyone here currently attending Rutgers or know anyone who applied to the clinical psych PsyD program and can give some feedback?

Many Thanks!

7. biscuitsbiscuits

biscuitsbiscuits 2+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Rutgers clinical PsyD is a very competitive program (admissions data: https://gsapp.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/doc/admissions_data_2015.pdf ) and they're going to want to see research experience. Is there any way you can connect with some of the NYU faculty while you're still there and volunteer as a research assistant?

It might be a good idea to take two years (or more) instead of one, add as much research experience to your CV as possible, earn outstanding letters of rec, study hard for the GRE, and apply when you have a really strong application package.

I'm also a mom and in my second semester of a doctoral program. You are smart to look ahead and plan out the application process for yourself. I spread the application process out over about two years (I already had research experience at the time I started), just because I knew I couldn't count on having the time and I didn't want to rush it or cut corners. I was very careful about the process because, as you know, life with kids is unpredictable. They get sick, there's a snow day, and suddenly a work day is lost. So you have to be very organized, start early, and leave yourself time for the unexpected. Good luck!

8. logicpsych2012

logicpsych2012

Nov 9, 2017
    Yeah definitely would echo what the previous poster said.
    Rutgers is a PsyD, but they are a heavily research focused PsyD - so I don't think it's likely to get in without research experience.

I applied for this upcoming cycle. Interviews usually go out in the next two weeks. I can let you know if I am offered an interview or not and give you my gpa/gre/resume so that you can judge..
    But other than Baylor, Rutgers is the most competitive PsyD so it's hard for anyone to get into. I would suggest applying to at least a handful of programs to have a better shot!

9. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist Moderator Psychologist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread.

10. fluidityt

fluidityt 5+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Hey everyone, I hope this is the right thread..

Some background, I've graduated from community college, and am planning to start university this fall. It's taken me about 5 years to get my degree due to various life events, but I'm 100% back in the game now and plan to move forward at a regular pace.

Credits completed: 90

GPA: 3.93
    sGPA: 4.0 (including psych classes)

GRE (expected to do well, or at least somewhat competitive)

Research (at community college):
    - first semester designed my own survey related to poverty awareness, with help of my psych 101 professor. Presented on campus
    - one year of microbiology research in lab, collecting live samples and performing PCR and DNA extractio. 2 posters off campus

Volunteering:
    - 100 hours at food bank
    - 4 years of tutoring, mentoring, and assisting students with mental disorders (autism, brain surgery patients, etc) ((done through the school and local churches / libraries)) (((does this count as a clinical as well?)))

Work:
    - Military (1 year -- medical discharge)
    - 3 food service jobs (1 year each)
    - Private tutor (2 years)

LOR:
    1 very strong from a social science professor / mentory who's known me 5 years
    1 good / strong from science professor

EC:
    - Amateur motorcycle racer
    - Powerlifting
    - Computer programming / app developer
    - Creative writing (fiction)

Career interests:
    - Clinician but still involved actively in research, if available.

Schools interested in:
    - I really could use some direction here, as I have many research interests. I honestly don't think it will be difficult for me to find many programs I would love. My heart ultimately lies with underserved population, though suicide prevention is also very relevant, as well as anything related to perception, personality, beliefs, or disorders like major depressive and ASD....

Goals by summer '19:
    - Work / volunteer at suicide hotline (something I've wanted to do for years, and is very meaningful to me)
    - Find a professor to do research with at university, hopefully something related to clinical psychology.
    - Build good relationship with someone at university who wants me to be a doctor, so they will want to write me a strong letter

- Lay the smackdown on the GRE
    - Find out what I'm most interested in research-wise
    - maintain GPA

How am I doing, and (roughly) what are my chances if I apply next year ?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 10:43 AM
  11. FuturePsyD_

FuturePsyD_

Dec 21, 2017
    I highly recommend purchasing the Insiders Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology to help you choose programs! It lists every school, their research and clinical interests, and admissions stats. They also rank how heavily research or clinically focused the programs are. It answered a lot of my questions as I was applying this year. Best of luck!

artsyann and fluidityt like this.
  12. psych.meout

psych.meout 2+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Some work at a suicide hotline may be helpful, especially since it is related to long-term interests, but the issue with most clinical experience before grad school is that it quickly leads to diminishing returns. At that stage, you just don't have the experience and training to do the higher level work that is more amenable and impressive to grad programs. There are some positions at that level out there with more advanced responsibilities, e.g., psychometrist positions, but they are relatively few and far between compared to the number of people applying for grad programs.

You'll probably get better returns on your investments of time and energy if you focus more on getting clinically-oriented research experience. This will get you the requisite research experience while simultaneously working with clinical populations and issues. Furthermore, the more research work you do, the more likely it is that you will get posters and pubs from it. These research products are impressive in and of themselves, but they also offer opportunities to network with people in the field who might eventually become POIs for your eventual grad school apps.

fluidityt likes this.
  13. fluidityt

fluidityt 5+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Thanks =]

My plan was kind of to do both. I'm worried that if I don't do the hotline training though, over the next X years I will have to deal with a scenario where I am trying to help someone without any training again... and that is one of the worst feelings, when someone comes to you saying they want to do those things to themselves, and you just have to wing it in hopes of convincing them to get help, call a hotline or police... That's happened a few too many times to me... I really feel like I need to do this.

I don't have much going on this semester... just working and brushing up on some stuff for the fall. Will start sending messages to people at the university though, maybe I can get in on something early research related!

14. artsyann

artsyann

Dec 21, 2017
    Crisis Text line is a good one to volunteer for. I volunteer with them.

fluidityt likes this.
  15. Indiana_Jane0411

Indiana_Jane0411 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I also volunteered with Crisis Text Line before applying (and throughout my first year of a PhD program). I think you definitely want to make sure whatever you’re doing allows you to get experience but does not take away for more beneficial app boosters (read: research experience). CTL fit that role for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

fluidityt and artsyann like this.
  16. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Research experience will be crucial to strengthening your application for grad school. Get yourself into a research lab ASAP. This might take a little legwork on your part but the sooner you get started, the better. I also transferred as an undergraduate from a smaller campus to a large research university, and despite plentiful opportunities there I still had to knock on several doors before finding a match. Even if there is not a suicide prevention researcher on campus, you could find some related experience working for someone who studies depression, self-harm behaviors, underserved populations, etc. Good luck!

fluidityt likes this.