This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think it'll matter a lot if it doesn't relate to my specific interest though?

Of course, it helps if your job is related to what you'd like to study in graduate school. But if the alternative is a non-research related job, then it's OK to go a bit far afield of your specific interests. Just make sure the position entails skills or activities that might generalize to graduate school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Any advice would be helpful :) I think my advisors are way too nice to me and aren't being completely truthful so I need people who are willing to be brutal. I want to know if I have a chance of getting into any clinical Ph.D. programs.
I'm graduating next December and I'm hoping to find a research assistant job before attending grad school.
UG GPA: Currently have a 3.64. The highest I could get it to before December 1 Deadline is a 3.68, but I am more than certain I will graduate with a 3.7 (my last 40 credit hours I had a 4.0)
Psyc GPA: 3.9
GRE: V 158, Q 158, W 4.5
Research experience: undergraduate research assistant for two research labs, independent research as well and presented research at the state conference and school symposium (I know this sucks), and I also was a TA
Practical experience: Counseling center Intern, intern at a conflict resolution center, intern at a center for individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities
I was also selected by undergraduate faculty at my school to receive a scholarship award in psychology for exceptional performance and experiences amongst my peers (I'm not sure how, but extremely thankful).
I also started a fund for a middle school program in my area for at-risk students, and I tutor student-athletes in psychology, and I just applied to volunteer for a crisis hotline.
I go to school in NY and I would be willing to move anywhere on the East Coast... Is it worth trying to apply to doctorate level programs (even PsyD), or should I plan on shooting for Masters and even aim for a funded one such as William and Mary in VA?
THANK YOU!!

Hi! Any advice would be helpful :) I think my advisors are way too nice to me and aren't being completely truthful so I need people who are willing to be brutal. I want to know if I have a chance of getting into any clinical Ph.D. programs.
I'm graduating next December and I'm hoping to find a research assistant job before attending grad school.
UG GPA: Currently have a 3.64. The highest I could get it to before December 1 Deadline is a 3.68, but I am more than certain I will graduate with a 3.7 (my last 40 credit hours I had a 4.0)
Psyc GPA: 3.9
GRE: V 158, Q 158, W 4.5
Research experience: undergraduate research assistant for two research labs, independent research as well and presented research at the state conference and school symposium (I know this sucks), and I also was a TA
Practical experience: Counseling center Intern, intern at a conflict resolution center, intern at a center for individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities
I was also selected by undergraduate faculty at my school to receive a scholarship award in psychology for exceptional performance and experiences amongst my peers (I'm not sure how, but extremely thankful).
I also started a fund for a middle school program in my area for at-risk students, and I tutor student-athletes in psychology, and I just applied to volunteer for a crisis hotline.
I go to school in NY and I would be willing to move anywhere on the East Coast... Is it worth trying to apply to doctorate level programs (even PsyD), or should I plan on shooting for Masters and even aim for a funded one such as William and Mary in VA?
THANK YOU!!

Stats are fine to get over the cutoffs for a lot of places, GRE could be a touch better to be competitive at some of the top sites. It all depends on research POI match and how you sell yourself at this point. I'd be looking for RA type jobs and thinking about applying next December for some programs. May be tough the first go round, but you'll get a feel for interviewing hopefully, if you don't get any offers, beef up the CV with some more research work and give it a go in the next year. Also, consider applying to schools beyond the East coast. The coast schools get A TON of applications because everyone wants to be on the coast. Uphill battle there, might as well look a little more broadly if this is something that you really want.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stats are fine to get over the cutoffs for a lot of places, GRE could be a touch better to be competitive at some of the top sites. It all depends on research POI match and how you sell yourself at this point. I'd be looking for RA type jobs and thinking about applying next December for some programs. May be tough the first go round, but you'll get a feel for interviewing hopefully, if you don't get any offers, beef up the CV with some more research work and give it a go in the next year. Also, consider applying to schools beyond the East coast. The coast schools get A TON of applications because everyone wants to be on the coast. Uphill battle there, might as well look a little more broadly if this is something that you really want.
Thanks for the feedback!

Hello! I'm hoping to get an understanding of where I fall. Do you think a masters will be necessary for getting me into a funded program?
I just finished undergrad at UCLA (I graduated a quarter early) majoring in Psych and minoring in Gender Studies
GPA: 4.0 (community college) , 3.69 (UCLA)
-I am a Regent Scholar at UCLA (800 incoming students are invited to apply for the scholarship and 100 are chosen)
*GRE: I haven't taken it yet, will be taking it in June after giving myself all of next quarter to study for it

Research Experience:
2 years undergrad: 1 year in a lab, unable to get super involved due to a large amount of RAs, 1 year working hands-on with a project and I was able to conduct my own hypothesis and will be presenting a poster on the findings next quarter
*I'm planning on taking a gap year to be a full-time RA somewhere to obtain more research experience

Extracurriculars:
I just started working as an ABA behavior therapist for students with developmental deficiencies at an elementary school
I've been volunteering at a domestic violence shelter for the past 4 years
I was a coordinator for a program that trained liaisons from sorority and fraternity chapters in sexual assault awareness, intervention, and prevention
Part of a peer counseling network that facilitated weekly group meetings that used iCBT online training to help students with depression
Aside from all this, I've held various jobs throughout college that I think provided me with other tools and qualities that are beneficial though not directly relevant (marketing assistant, pilates studio manager, etc.)

I will be looking at programs/faculty who have an interest in PTSD/Anxiety and personal growth
Some of the schools I'm currently interested in are:
Columbia, Duke, USC, U of Washington, BU

Hello! I'm hoping to get an understanding of where I fall. Do you think a masters will be necessary for getting me into a funded program?

I will be looking at programs/faculty who have an interest in PTSD/Anxiety and personal growth
Some of the schools I'm currently interested in are:
Columbia, Duke, USC, U of Washington, BU

I don't see a good reason for you to pursue a master's degree. I agree with your plan to get an RA position (preferably paid!). You don't need to be concerned about getting more clinical experience. Assuming you perform well on the GRE, I think you are in a good position to apply this fall.

You have a nice list of schools but I would suggest you apply to some less competitive programs too.

Hi, I'm planning on applying for Fall 2019 matriculation, so it might be a little early, but I wanted to get an idea of where I stand in terms of competitiveness, especially to clinical psychology programs. I'm planning on applying to Clinical, Counseling, and stand alone Social/Health Psychology, Health Psychology, and Experimental Psychology PhD programs. I'm not purely set on just pursuing clinical psychology programs and becoming licensed since my interest is in research, but I don't also don't mind being licensed. It would broaden my career outcomes as I will be able to do both clinical and research work, which I am completely okay with. My research (and clinical if I pursue a clinical program) interest is working with sexual and ethnic minority groups.

Major: B.A Psychology
Minors: English and Philippine Language & Culture
Undergraduate GPA: 3.71
Psychology GPA: 3.60
GRE: V=157 Q=138 W=4.0 (This was my first time taking the GRE and I only studied the week prior to taking it & I do plan on retaking it as many times as I need until the Dec 1, 2018 deadline for the programs)

EXPERIENCES:
- I am currently working as a Research Coordinator for Neurology at a medical center. By Fall 2019, I would have been working at this position for 2.5 years.
- Conducted 2 independent studies while in undergrad (one led to a poster presentation at national conference and an oral presentation at a local conference, the other was an oral presentation at a different local conference)
- Co-author to a poster by a grad student I worked with that was presented a national conference
- Co-author to a poster by the PI's I work at my job with that was presented by a national symposium.
- 2 years as an undergraduate research assistant (will have a total of 4.5 by Fall 2019 when including my position as a research coordinator)
- Will complete a graduate certificate in Clinical Research Methods by Spring 2019.
- Work as a substitute teacher teaching GED preparation classes to adult students. Working with individuals with intellectual abilities for a non-profit, worked as an editor for my college newspaper, was involved as a peer mentor/academic tutor in the LGBT center, counseling center, and various departments while I was in undergrad.
- Leadership positions: Vice President & Treasurer for Psi Chi, Treasurer & Fundraising Chair for Mortar Board (Senior Honor society), Committee chair for Colleges Against Cancer and helped organize Relay for Life
- Honor Societies: Phi Beta Kappa, Psi Chi, Mortar Board, Golden Key
- I was born in the Philippines and moved to the U.S. while in elementary. I am fluent in English & Tagalog.

That’s a wide spread of types of programs. I suspect your cover letters will vary quite a bit, which makes me wonder if you are looking too broadly?

I’m looking up programs by faculty research match. My interest is in psychoneuroimmunology, cardiovascular psychophysiology, and stress and I want to focus on miniority groups. I’ve found faculty in clinical, health, and occasionally in experimental and social psychology programs who all do research within this area. I think my chances increase if I apply to the non-clinical programs since it’s less competitive and I’ve built my experiences mostly in research, but I also don’t want to put down the possibility of getting into a clinical program if I can since I don’t mind the clinical aspect as well. I’m equally interested in both clinical and research. if I had to pick one, I’d pick research, but if I could do both, that would be fantastic. When I’ve looked at the faculty with similar interest who are in clinical programs, it seems like they’re not as active in the clinical aspect of their career as other faculty who primarily do research on interventions, obesity, tobacco, marriage, etc.

MOD NOTE: We are now going to have one thread for all of the inquiries for competitiveness, what are my chances, do I have a shot, can I get into ABC University, etc. Most of the other SDN forums have found success with having one thread, so we are going to adopt that going forward.

1. Please post your WAMC questions in here ONLY, as any outside thread will be combined with this one.

2. Do not make additional threads to ask about competitiveness for specific schools.

-t4c

3. Regarding privacy in WAMC threads specifically, please see the advice and information posted here: Regarding privacy: information on the internet is there forever. It is in the pre-med forums, but many of the tips listed are helpful to remember regardless of the type/location of post.

-AA

Hello I am currently a senior and in my last semester of senior year. I am applying to a couple of MA programs my psychology undergraduate major GPA is at a 3.1 and have been a RA for two years in a neuropsych lab. I have presented at two conferences.
As for experience, I have volunteered at a mental health clinic as a translator and have volunteered at a crisis hotline.
I also minored in biology and my GPA for the minor is a 3.0.

I did not take the GRE for the reason that the program I am applying to does not require it.
Do I have a chance at an MA program? also what else can i do to become a more competitive applicant?
I appreciate any advice ,thank you!

Hi there! So, reading board this has really made me question any chance I had at getting into any kind of doctoral program in clinical psych- but, figured I throw if out there and see what you guys think!! I was thinking of applying to primarily psyD programs; I am not fond of research, and honestly don't think I have sufficient experience be even somewhat competitive for a PhD program. I was planning on applying to a bunch of the top ones (Baylor, Rutgers, LaSalle, Denver) although, like I said, am now questioning my chances after seeing the high quality of applicants on here. I also may apply to some PhD programs just for the sake of it despite my lack of quality research experience. Okay, here goes:

GPA (top undergrad institution): 3.68, graduated cum laude
GPA in psych: ~3.8-3.9 (don't remember exactly), awarded distinction in major upon graduation
GRE: 165 V/158 Q/5.5 writing
Research experience:
-Spent a summer during college as a research assistant in a psych lab at NYU
-As part of a 4-person research group, was the recipient of an internal grant from my college for psychology research that we ultimately presented at a conference
Other experience:
-Psychology tutor for two years in college
-Member of the Psi Chi Honors Society
-Volunteered for ~1.5 years during college at a nonprofit for victims of domestic abuse
-In the process of applying for a volunteer position at a crisis hotline
Current experience: Since graduating from college (almost 4 years ago), I have worked as a grant writer at two large hospital (one extremely highly ranked) where I help PIs prepare and write federal and foundation grant applications

Of possible note, I would be applying for Fall 2019 so there is still time to gain additional experience/re-take tests if needed. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
Hi there! So, reading board this has really made me question any chance I had at getting into any kind of doctoral program in clinical psych- but, figured I throw if out there and see what you guys think!! I was thinking of applying to primarily psyD programs; I am not fond of research, and honestly don't think I have sufficient experience be even somewhat competitive for a PhD program. I was planning on applying to a bunch of the top ones (Baylor, Rutgers, LaSalle, Denver) although, like I said, am now questioning my chances after seeing the high quality of applicants on here. I also may apply to some PhD programs just for the sake of it despite my lack of quality research experience. Okay, here goes:

The reputable PsyDs will have just as much in the realm of research as good balanced PhD programs, so I would look at both. Your GRE scores are good, so I wouldn't worry much there. The grant writing job definitely helps. The relative lack of research may be a slight knock. All in all, you should still apply broadly according to fit. You'd still stand a good chance, if the fit is right, especially at places that don't get a crapton of applications mostly due to location.

Members don't see this ad :)

GPA in psych: ~3.8-3.9 (don't remember exactly), awarded distinction in major upon graduation
Research experience:
-As part of a 4-person research group, was the recipient of an internal grant from my college for psychology research that we ultimately presented at a conference
Other experience:
-Volunteered for ~1.5 years during college at a nonprofit for victims of domestic abuse
Current experience: Since graduating from college (almost 4 years ago), I have worked as a grant writer at two large hospital (one extremely highly ranked) where I help PIs prepare and write federal and foundation grant applications

Of possible note, I would be applying for Fall 2019 so there is still time to gain additional experience/re-take tests if needed. Thank you in advance!!
"Top" PsyD programs are very competitive (on par with funded PhD programs) and often emphasize research to a degree on par with many scientist-practitioner programs.

http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2013/10/Admissions-Rates.pdf

Thus, you may be underestimating the commitment to research required of you, as well as how much research experience you need to be competitive.

Instead of volunteering for a crisis hotline, you'd get more value for your time and energy by getting more research experience.

Research experience:
Other experience:

I would echo what others are saying. Your GREs and GPA are all fine, I would focus on research experience. (Not to say the crisis hotline isn't good additionally). But I would say that during the interview process, the top PsyDs were way more focused on my research experience than clinical
Also - I'm sure Denver has good match rates/outcomes, but that price tag would make me consider it not a top program
I would throw in IUP, ISU, and Georgia Southern which have much higher funding opportunities.

I would echo what others are saying. Your GREs and GPA are all fine, I would focus on research experience. (Not to say the crisis hotline isn't good additionally). But I would say that during the interview process, the top PsyDs were way more focused on my research experience than clinical
Also - I'm sure Denver has good match rates/outcomes, but that price tag would make me consider it not a top program
I would throw in IUP, ISU, and Georgia Southern which have much higher funding opportunities.
Thank you all for the incredibly helpful responses!! Might anyone have suggestions as to how to improve research experience? Apart from leaving my job to became a research assistant, I'm having trouble thinking of any others (like I said, my knowledge on the research world is definitely lacking)

Edited to add: thank you for the program recs as well! :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the incredibly helpful responses!! Might anyone have suggestions as to how to improve research experience? Apart from leaving my job to became a research assistant, I'm having trouble thinking of any others (like I said, my knowledge on the research world is definitely lacking)
-Volunteering in a lab at a local university in your off-time (this might be difficult, depending on the lab, if you work 9-5, because that may be when they would need you)
-Switching to a non-RA or even clinical job that has some research component or opportunity (E.g., I worked as a psychometrist and jumped on a couple of peripheral opportunities to be part of research at the site)
-Completing a post-bacc program and joining a professor's lab
-Completing a terminal master's degree with a thesis component

Considering a PHD in Quantitative Psychology

Background:
I attended the University of Tennessee - Knoxville

Relevant Coursework - Psychology (27 hours, 3 hours per course)
Psych 110 - General Psychology - 3.0
Psych 330 - Abnormal Psychology - 4.0
Psych 360 - Social Psychology - 4.0
Psych 220 - Humanistic Psychology - 4.0
Psych 385 - Stats is Psychology - 4.0
Psych 395 - Methods of Research in Psychology - 4.0
Psych 489 - Supervised Research - 4.0
Psych 445 - Measurement and Testing - 4.0
Psych 310 - Learning and Thinking - 3.0
Overall Psych GPA: 3.78

Mathematics Coursework:
Calc I: B
Calc II: B+
Calc III: D+ (Bad I know....)

Statistics Coursework:
STAT 320 - Regression/Correlation Methods: A
STAT 265 - Statistical Process Control: A-
STAT 330 - Experimental Methods: A
STAT 461 - Statistical Models: C+ (Also Bad ... Same Semester/Life Happens)
STAT 474 - Intro to Data Mining - B+

GRE:
Verbal 155 69%
Quant 164 87%
Writting 4.0 60%

What can I do academically to increase my chances of admission?

Background:
I attended the University of Tennessee - Knoxville

Relevant Coursework - Psychology (27 hours, 3 hours per course)
Psych 110 - General Psychology - 3.0
Psych 330 - Abnormal Psychology - 4.0
Psych 360 - Social Psychology - 4.0
Psych 220 - Humanistic Psychology - 4.0
Psych 385 - Stats is Psychology - 4.0
Psych 395 - Methods of Research in Psychology - 4.0
Psych 489 - Supervised Research - 4.0
Psych 445 - Measurement and Testing - 4.0
Psych 310 - Learning and Thinking - 3.0
Overall Psych GPA: 3.78

Mathematics Coursework:
Calc I: B
Calc II: B+
Calc III: D+ (Bad I know....)

Statistics Coursework:
STAT 320 - Regression/Correlation Methods: A
STAT 265 - Statistical Process Control: A-
STAT 330 - Experimental Methods: A
STAT 461 - Statistical Models: C+ (Also Bad ... Same Semester/Life Happens)
STAT 474 - Intro to Data Mining - B+

GRE:
Verbal 155 69%
Quant 164 87%
Writting 4.0 60%

Your coursework looks good (I'm betting the vast majority of people are going to have trouble with Calc III) and your GRE scores are probably fine (though I know far less about quant programs than clinical ones), but do you have any research experience?

I see you have "supervised research" listed among your courses. Was this just for a semester or do you have a longer record of involvement in a lab? Research experience is the main thing missing from your application.

Why quant, btw?

I see you have "supervised research" listed among your courses. Was this just for a semester or do you have a longer record of involvement in a lab? Research experience is the main thing missing from your application.

Why quant, btw?

Thanks MamaPhD! Yes research experience is definitely missing from my resume. I'm not sure how to pursue it at this point. I have two Masters options that I have been accepted into: 1) Master of Public Health in Biostatistics and 2) Master of Science in Business Analytics. Both require a consulting project that I hope will lead to good recommendations. Do you think admission committees would favor one program over the other? I did not apply for purely statistics masters programs because I thought my lack of linear algebra and weak Calc III grade would disqualify me.

I am attracted to quantitative psychology because I am interested in educating the public on efficient ways to identify and solve public health concerns. (i.e. using statistical methods to illustrate the $ value of the burden of mental health disease in the United States, recommending best practices for dealing with missing data related to participant withdrawals in research studies, and strengthening and promoting the use of mental health screening tools). I was torn between quantitative psychology and clinical psychology as I am interested in both the people and the statistics; however, I really cannot see myself providing counseling services.

Your coursework looks good (I'm betting the vast majority of people are going to have trouble with Calc III) and your GRE scores are probably fine (though I know far less about quant programs than clinical ones), but do you have any research experience?

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I am significantly lacking on the research experience and am at a loss for how to get it now that I am out of school. I have been accepted into two Masters programs: 1) Master of Public Health in Bio-statistics and 2) Master of Science in Business Analytics. Both require consulting projects that I am hoping will lead to positive letters of recommendation; however, I am torn between the two programs. On one hand, I believe Biostats is more relevant. On the other hand, I am not sure how well I would fair in the workplace with a MPH in Biostats if the PHD proves to be unobtainable (i.e. I never get in).

Hi guys I am interested if anyone can provide me some insight on my chances of getting into the following phd clinical psychology programs:

Teachers College, Columbia
City College (CUNY)
Fordham
LIU brooklyn
Adelphi
St. Johns

These schools have faculty whom highly match my research interests: psychotherapy (dynamic).

Anyways, I spent 2.5 years at a community college where my grades were not so great due to personal issues. I luckily was able to transfer to a very well known/well respected 4 year school, majored in psych where I pulled off excellent grades. I will graduate next year. My GPA will likey be >3.7. I landed a summer RA position in a ivy league university as well as an RA position at a well known veterans hospital. I am also an aba therapist for autistic children. I have yet to take the GREs, I am a little nervous but i will be studying for the next 6 months.

Any thoughts? Would I be a strong enough candidate to get accepted, and maybe funded?

Hi guys I am interested if anyone can provide me some insight on my chances of getting into the following phd clinical psychology programs:

Teachers College, Columbia
City College (CUNY)
Fordham
LIU brooklyn
Adelphi
St. Johns

These schools have faculty whom highly match my research interests: psychotherapy (dynamic).

Anyways, I spent 2.5 years at a community college where my grades were not so great due to personal issues. I luckily was able to transfer to a very well known/well respected 4 year school, majored in psych where I pulled off excellent grades. I will graduate next year. My GPA will likey be >3.7. I landed a summer RA position in a ivy league university as well as an RA position at a well known veterans hospital. I am also an aba therapist for autistic children. I have yet to take the GREs, I am a little nervous but i will be studying for the next 6 months.

Any thoughts? Would I be a strong enough candidate to get accepted, and maybe funded?

Your GPA seems fine. I would say it would all depend on your GRE scores and whether you could get some publications/presentations out of your RA positions. A summer wont be enough research experience. You'd want to be there enough time that you could show on your resume you can produce something either in the form of a poster, co-author, or paper presentation at a conference.

Also, I'm not sure if you already researched this or not, but most if not all of the programs on your list are partially funded. I know at last this is the case for the CUNYs, TC, Adelphi, LIU, and St. Johns. I think I saw on this forum a while back that Fordham is fully funded but I'm not sure how that is now. I don't know if you were only looking for at least some funding or hoping for full funding. I might recommend adding some fully funded programs to your list. In addition, all of your programs are in NYC, a HIGHLY competitive region. Are you geographically limited due to personal reasons? Or simply prefer to stay in NYC? Because even people with amazing stats can't get into an NYC program because it's such a desirable area. I'd recommend branching out geographically to other cities and less desirable geographical areas. That would increase your chances a great deal AND increase your chances of landing a FULLY funded program.

Sorry for asking this question here but I wasn't sure where to post this :shy:

I noticed there are a lot of faculties that list having a research interest in certain ethnic group or race.
For an example, faculty A may have a research interest in masculinity and gender norm in hispanic communities.

If a student were to apply to work with faculty A because they have an interest in masculinity and gender norm but not necessarily with the hispanic communities, would that not be considered a "good fit"?

How specific does an applicant have to be when they explain their "fit" with the faculty?

I noticed there are a lot of faculties that list having a research interest in certain ethnic group or race.
For an example, faculty A may have a research interest in masculinity and gender norm in hispanic communities.

If a student were to apply to work with faculty A because they have an interest in masculinity and gender norm but not necessarily with the hispanic communities, would that not be considered a "good fit"?

How specific does an applicant have to be when they explain their "fit" with the faculty?

That may be up to the individual faculty member. Have you tried reaching out to that person? That's a good way to start a rapport with your potential POI.

Last edited:
That may be up to the individual faculty member. Have you tried reaching out that person? That's a good way to start a rapport with your potential POI.

No I haven't! I plan on start applying this fall and thought it may be a bit too early to contact them. I wanted to see what the "general rule of thumb" is before I finalize on my list of programs.

In my experience, that would be a good fit. Usually, the faculty does not want their student to be an exact clone of their research. There should be a good deal of overlap, but not 100%.

In my experience, that would be a good fit. Usually, the faculty does not want their student to be an exact clone of their research. There should be a good deal of overlap, but not 100%.

Is there a reason why they wouldn't want an exact clone to their research?? :wideyed:

Is there a reason why they wouldn't want an exact clone to their research?? :wideyed:

It doesn't open up any new avenues. And, if they only take grad students doing the exact same thing, you end up with a lab of everyone fighting each other to do the same things. Some variability is good. Every lab in the grad programs I was in had students with offshoots of research.

I wouldn't apply to or attend either of those programs. The PhD and PsyD programs at each school are prohibitively expensive (>$28,000/year for tuition alone) and have poor internship match rates.

Fake news?
Rosemead's Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs have an 88% and 91% match rate from 2012-16... The Ph.D. program does better with accredited internships (~75% vs 55%). It is certainly expensive and excuse my apologetics in my first post, but Rosemead's EPPP pass rate was 100% (10/10) and 89% (8/9) for PhD and PsyD programs in 2016.

I leave this here with the hopes that if anyone is interested, they can make an informed decision based on accurate info. Fuller is considerably more expensive than Rosemead as well due to their master's in Theology requirement. Cheers

Fake news?
Rosemead's Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs have an 88% and 91% match rate from 2012-16... The Ph.D. program does better with accredited internships (~75% vs 55%). It is certainly expensive and excuse my apologetics in my first post, but Rosemead's EPPP pass rate was 100% (10/10) and 89% (8/9) for PhD and PsyD programs in 2016.

I leave this here with the hopes that if anyone is interested, they can make an informed decision based on accurate info. Fuller is considerably more expensive than Rosemead as well due to their master's in Theology requirement. Cheers

Not fake news. Generally, when people talk about match rates, they talk about accredited match rates as they are the only ones that matter for the majority of people. Rosemead PsyDs accredited match rates topped out at 56% for the last 4 years reported buy APPIC. That is straight up embarrassing. The PhD program does better, but has some extreme variability that is concerning in the past several years (50-90%). The information is available through APPIC for whoever wants to look at it. Heck, they can get it all the way back to 2000 if they want. Aside from the nearly unfathomable 32k in tuition per year alone, the 70% licensure rate for a PsyD is especially concerning. Just as long as we're concerned about accurate information.

Reactions: 2 users
Fake news?

"Fake news?" Seriously?

As Wisneuro put so well, your "accurate info" is the same misleading BS offered by these expensive, poor quality programs that try to trick prospective students by either citing their overall match rate, not their accredited match rate, or downplaying the importance of accredited matches.

Not fake news. Generally, when people talk about match rates, they talk about accredited match rates as they are the only ones that matter for the majority of people.

Is this based on data, or some unwritten rule? I will certainly plead ignorance if such is truly the case. I know many colleagues that simply wanted to become private practitioners and didn’t even seek out accredited internships, opting for more psychodynamically-inclined internships that don’t have to jump through the APA standardization hoops.

"Fake news?" Seriously?

As Wisneuro put so well, your "accurate info" is the same misleading BS offered by these expensive, poor quality programs that try to trick prospective students by either citing their overall match rate, not their accredited match rate, or downplaying the importance of accredited matches.

What did I say that was misleading? I’m not equating accredited and non-accredited internships. Some simply don’t seek out accredited internships even with knowledge of the consequences. Depending on goals, there is variability in the “importance of accredited matches,” and this is coming from someone who went through one.

Is this based on data, or some unwritten rule? I will certainly plead ignorance if such is truly the case.

It's based on logic. You have one chance to do an internship and if you don't do an accredited one, it permanently locks you out of many employers (which are generally those with better pay and benefits, e.g., AMCs and VAs) and allows those who would still employ you to take advantage of this fact (i.e., you have very few places else to go) to subject you to substandard remuneration.

I know many colleagues that simply wanted to become private practitioners and didn’t even seek out accredited internships, opting for more psychodynamically-inclined internships that don’t have to jump through the APA standardization hoops.

If you know what the consequences are for unaccredited internships, you'd be stupid to not go for an accredited internship. Just because you want to be in private practice now doesn't mean you will always want to be, nor does it mean it's a wise decision to permanently close off your career options. Furthermore, if you really just want to do private practice therapy, it would be much smarter to go for a master's level degree and licensure. Depending on the state, there are marginal differences in reimbursement, which are far eclipsed once you factor in the debt level of programs like Rosemead. Just do the math on the monthly student loan payments for that much debt.

What did I say that was misleading? I’m not equating accredited and non-accredited internships. Some simply don’t seek out accredited internships even with knowledge of the consequences.

Are they really "not seeking out" accredited internships or is that just what they say after they don't receive any interview offers to accredited sites?

Depending on goals, there is variability in the “importance of accredited matches,” and this is coming from someone who went through one.

Yeah, that variability comes from people who don't understand the gravity of not matching to an accredited site and those who didn't match, but rationalize it as not important to their "goals."

If you know what the consequences are for unaccredited internships, you'd be stupid to not go for an accredited internship. Just because you want to be in private practice now doesn't mean you will always want to be, nor does it mean it's a wise decision to permanently close off your career options. Furthermore, if you really just want to do private practice therapy, it would be much smarter to go for a master's level degree and licensure. Depending on the state, there are marginal differences in reimbursement, which are far eclipsed once you factor in the debt level of programs like Rosemead. Just do the math on the monthly student loan payments for that much debt.

Narrowly-focused maybe, but stupid?
If reimbursement and money is your main motivation. Money is generally a huge factor, but for some not the preeminent one. A huge factor that many Rosemead grads value is the personal growth via going through their own psychotherapy, taking theologically integrated course material, psychotherapy and assessment lab training, and the supportive community found at Rosemead.

“Are they really "not seeking out" accredited internships or is that just what they say after they don't receive any interview offers to accredited sites?”

I’d hypothesize this is genuinely a significant part of the apparent disconnect between our views and likely the cultures we are coming from. I can say without much doubt having seen a rather large sample size of Rosemeaders go through the program, that many apply to more non-accredited than accredited internships with private practice specifically in mind. This has shifted somewhat with the recent increase in availability of APA internships.

Some of it may be a learned helplessness of not even wanting to compete with more known or prestigious programs. Regardless of internship, Rosemead grads are known in the LA/OC area for producing really quality practitioners in psychotherapy and assessment.

A side note... Is it fair to assume with the increase in availability of APA accredited internships and subsequent decrease in the imbalance, utilizing this as a distinguishing metric is losing its validity in assessing the quality of an institution?

Last edited:
Narrowly-focused maybe, but stupid?
If reimbursement and money is your main motivation. Money is generally a huge factor, but for some not the preeminent one. A huge factor that many Rosemead grads value is the personal growth via going through their own psychotherapy, taking theologically integrated course material, psychotherapy and assessment lab training, and the supportive community found at Rosemead.

If you want personal growth through psychotherapy, you can go to a psychologist or counselor on your own. You don't need to pay more than $100,000 in tuition alone to get that experience.

Furthermore, lots of doctoral programs are very supportive without costing an arm and a leg like this. My program is fully funded and incredibly supportive.

You can be as idealistic as you want, but there are still bills to pay and education debt to be repaid. Hamstringing your career options and earning potential seems like an especially problematic thing to do if you attended an unfunded program.

“Are they really "not seeking out" accredited internships or is that just what they say after they don't receive any interview offers to accredited sites?”

I’d hypothesize this is genuinely a significant part of the apparent disconnect between our views and likely the cultures we are coming from. I can say without much doubt having seen a rather large sample size of Rosemeaders go through the program, that many apply to more non-accredited than accredited internships with private practice specifically in mind. This has shifted somewhat with the recent increase in availability of APA internships.

Huh, how interesting that students from a relatively non-competitive program are shifting to APA accredited internships now that there are significantly more of them available than six years ago at the height of the "internship crisis." It's almost like your students apply to non-accredited sites to hedge their bets against not matching to an APA accredited site, but are somewhat pulling back from that now that there are more sites available.

Some of it may be a learned helplessness of not even wanting to compete with more known or prestigious programs.

So, your program and its community are so "supportive," but not enough to make substantive changes to do something about this?

Regardless of internship, Rosemead grads are known in the LA/OC area for producing really quality practitioners in psychotherapy and assessment.

Ah, so not only are you often restricted in terms of setting/context, but you're also geographically restricted to an oversaturated area? How fun!

A side note... Is it fair to assume with the increase in availability of APA accredited internships and subsequent decrease in the imbalance, utilizing this as a distinguishing metric is losing its validity in assessing the quality of an institution?
Nope, it's even more important now. At least when there were more applicants than accredited sites, a student and/or program could attribute their match problems to simply demand outstripping the supply. Other, more competitive programs and applicants may have beat them out, but it didn't necessarily mean they were of poor quality.

Once the supply exceeds demand, that explanation largely goes away. The important thing to understand is that sites don't have to rank applicants. If they feel an applicant is a poor fit or doesn't have sufficient education and training, they don't have to rank that applicant at all, which means that the applicant will not be considered as a match to their site. If you look at the stats for this past cycle, there were APA accredited sites with slots that went unfilled.

Thus, if a program is consistently having a difficult time matching a significant portion of its students in this climate, it means that there is something wrong with the program and the training being provided to their students.

If you want personal growth through psychotherapy, you can go to a psychologist or counselor on your own. You don't need to pay more than $100,000 in tuition alone to get that experience.

Furthermore, lots of doctoral programs are very supportive without costing an arm and a leg like this. My program is fully funded and incredibly supportive.

You can be as idealistic as you want, but there are still bills to pay and education debt to be repaid. Hamstringing your career options and earning potential seems like an especially problematic thing to do if you attended an unfunded program.

Huh, how interesting that students from a relatively non-competitive program are shifting to APA accredited internships now that there are significantly more of them available than six years ago at the height of the "internship crisis." It's almost like your students apply to non-accredited sites to hedge their bets against not matching to an APA accredited site, but are somewhat pulling back from that now that there are more sites available.

So, your program and its community are so "supportive," but not enough to make substantive changes to do something about this?

Ah, so not only are you often restricted in terms of setting/context, but you're also geographically restricted to an oversaturated area? How fun!

Nope, it's even more important now. At least when there were more applicants than accredited sites, a student and/or program could attribute their match problems to simply demand outstripping the supply. Other, more competitive programs and applicants may have beat them out, but it didn't necessarily mean they were of poor quality.

Once the supply exceeds demand, that explanation largely goes away. The important thing to understand is that sites don't have to rank applicants. If they feel an applicant is a poor fit or doesn't have sufficient education and training, they don't have to rank that applicant at all, which means that the applicant will not be considered as a match to their site. If you look at the stats for this past cycle, there were APA accredited sites with slots that went unfilled.

Thus, if a program is consistently having a difficult time matching a significant portion of its students in this climate, it means that there is something wrong with the program and the training being provided to their students.

I may have asked for this with the fake news jab, but your tone... yikes

Maybe it’s idealism, but it seems like it’s more just accepting that we have different values and perspectives. I reiterated the expense part and that is something everyone considering a program such as Rosemead should take an honest look at.

Regarding the shift, I was thinking more that some of the programs are now just getting accredited, not that the applications are moving. I imagine it’s a complex picture.

I offered a possible interpretation. Maybe they are making “substantive changes.” Both programs are at 80% APA match rate the last two years, so that seems promising as well. The patronizing responses are helpful though.

Only restricted due to lack of being known. Rosemead is more known in SoCal and the west coast, just like Adelphi or The New School are more well known in NYC and northeast. Sure, there are names that transcend, but that was my point.

And to your last point, I see what you’re saying. I’m not convinced places wouldn’t consider applicants from places they wouldn’t have normally, if not just based on lack of familiarity or name recognition, and applicants from places such as Rosemead get a chance. Time will tell.

Hope I’m clear in conceding the point if we are talking match rates meaning APA, Rosemead (the PsyD at least) needs improvement, but I’m optimistic considering the last two years.

Is this based on data, or some unwritten rule? I will certainly plead ignorance if such is truly the case. I know many colleagues that simply wanted to become private practitioners and didn’t even seek out accredited internships, opting for more psychodynamically-inclined internships that don’t have to jump through the APA standardization hoops.

Plenty of data out there supporting this. One being that the largest employers of psychologists institutionally will not hire people without accredited internships. Also, there are tons of psychodynamically oriented internships that still adhere to APA accreditation guidelines. It's no excuse. Feel free to provide opinion and some data, but to call out someone for "fake news" for merely pointing out statistics that actually exist and are accurate is duplicitous.

Last edited:
I may have asked for this with the fake news jab, but your tone... yikes

Maybe it’s idealism, but it seems like it’s more just accepting that we have different values and perspectives. I reiterated the expense part and that is something everyone considering a program such as Rosemead should take an honest look at.

Regarding the shift, I was thinking more that some of the programs are now just getting accredited, not that the applications are moving. I imagine it’s a complex picture.

I offered a possible interpretation. Maybe they are making “substantive changes.” Both programs are at 80% APA match rate the last two years, so that seems promising as well. The patronizing responses are helpful though.

Only restricted due to lack of being known. Rosemead is more known in SoCal and the west coast, just like Adelphi or The New School are more well known in NYC and northeast. Sure, there are names that transcend, but that was my point.

And to your last point, I see what you’re saying. I’m not convinced places wouldn’t consider applicants from places they wouldn’t have normally, if not just based on lack of familiarity or name recognition, and applicants from places such as Rosemead get a chance. Time will tell.

Hope I’m clear in conceding the point if we are talking match rates meaning APA, Rosemead (the PsyD at least) needs improvement, but I’m optimistic considering the last two years.
I'm struggling with your attachment to this program. Based on your career goals, it seems fairly clear that a masters would be the best route. Everything you like about Rosemead can be found at a different program. An expensive PsyD with mediocre match rates is a trap for students who are misinformed. If private practice is your goal, a doctorate is not worth your time, and in the case of Rosemead, the expensive price tag. The supportive community and personal therapy that Rosemead offers can be found everywhere.

Plenty of data out there supporting this. One being that the largest employers of psychologists institutionally will not hire people without accredited internships. Also, there are tons of psychodynamically oriented internships that still adhere to APA accreditation guidelines. It's no excuse. Feel free to provide opinion and some data, but to call out someone for "fake news" for merely pointing out statistics that actually exist and are accurate is duplicitous.

I have openly admitted there are consequences that should be considered. I would challenge the notion that there are "tons of psychodynamically oriented internships." That is just not true and we literally had a discussion about this at Division 39 last week. And yes, my fake news comment would only be justified if we were considering APA+APPIC internships. The discussion then leads to the value of APA internships and the restrictions in place for not having one.

The original comment said the PhD and PsyD programs both have "poor match rates," which I would still contest, especially for the PhD program.

I'm struggling with your attachment to this program. Based on your career goals, it seems fairly clear that a masters would be the best route. Everything you like about Rosemead can be found at a different program. An expensive PsyD with mediocre match rates is a trap for students who are misinformed. If private practice is your goal, a doctorate is not worth your time, and in the case of Rosemead, the expensive price tag. The supportive community and personal therapy that Rosemead offers can be found everywhere.

I don't know where I mentioned my career goals. If my attachment hasn't been inferred, it's that I have completed the program, found it immensely valuable and worth it (maybe some financial cognitive dissonance is at play), and would recommend it highly, after an honest look at finances has taken place. I didn't have trouble getting an APA internship, the EPPP went smoothly, and I've had no trouble finding jobs.

"Everything you like about Rosemead can be found at a different program." This is simply not true. There are only 6 APA-accredited institutions that explicitly incorporate issues of Christian faith into their program. Programs that require students go through there own psychotherapy are in the increasing minority. I don't doubt there are highly supportive programs out there that are secular, more research-focused, and well-known. I would, however, argue Rosemead offers something unique and valuable, particularly to someone who wants to incorporate their worldview into their learning environment and community, but that you all may see it differently.

Overall, I don't think I have offered anything misleading, Rosemead is doing increasingly well in APA-internships, and I just wanted to offer prospective students a different perspective from someone who actually went through the program. I realize I am in the minority here and I can accept that.

The anonymity here does seem to breed a condescending and haughty environment, but I can deal ;).

I have openly admitted there are consequences that should be considered. I would challenge the notion that there are "tons of psychodynamically oriented internships." That is just not true and we literally had a discussion about this at Division 39 last week. And yes, my fake news comment would only be justified if we were considering APA+APPIC internships. The discussion then leads to the value of APA internships and the restrictions in place for not having one.

The original comment said the PhD and PsyD programs both have "poor match rates," which I would still contest, especially for the PhD program.

Challenge away, I can name 4 VAs and an AMC off the top of my head with strong psychodynamic components that are also APA accredited. I'd be a little surprised if the only ones out there are the ones that I have had direct exposure to. There are plenty of places that offer both CBT and dynamic supervision and experiences. And many of them are APA accredited.

You can contest away about the "poor" label, and I guess it does matter whet you see as poor. But, even when there were many more applicants than spots, a sub 80% was seen as poor, sub 70 was seen as abysmal. In the new era of more spots than applicants, anything less than 90% is pretty much unacceptable. Also, the consistency of a program's match rates matter. While they may have had one year that would be considered "good," it doesn't erase the previous decade of "poor to abysmal." If they can keep it up, great, but one data point does not a trend make.

Challenge away, I can name 4 VAs and an AMC off the top of my head with strong psychodynamic components that are also APA accredited. I'd be a little surprised if the only ones out there are the ones that I have had direct exposure to. There are plenty of places that offer both CBT and dynamic supervision and experiences. And many of them are APA accredited.

You can contest away about the "poor" label, and I guess it does matter whet you see as poor. But, even when there were many more applicants than spots, a sub 80% was seen as poor, sub 70 was seen as abysmal. In the new era of more spots than applicants, anything less than 90% is pretty much unacceptable. Also, the consistency of a program's match rates matter. While they may have had one year that would be considered "good," it doesn't erase the previous decade of "poor to abysmal." If they can keep it up, great, but one data point does not a trend make.

Fair enough. Thanks for the dialogue. Hopefully, we will be in the good-enough range soon. No one wants to be poor or abysmal. Those adjectives do seem rather harsh.

Fair enough. Thanks for the dialogue. Hopefully, we will be in the good-enough range soon. No one wants to be poor or abysmal. Those adjectives do seem rather harsh.

They're just adjectives. You can sugar coat it, or be blunt about it. Either way, the actual numbers are there for potential applicants to view for themselves. And, in an era with more internship spots than applicants, low numbers are that much more telling.

Okay, reading this has me searching for advice, as I feel I lack all the experience I need. I am in my third year of my B.A and this is where I am at, interested in Neuropsych (looking at mainly Psy.D programs, but browsing the forums has me adding some Ph.Ds to my list as well):

No GRE yet, will study and take next semester, if possible.

GPA of 3.6 overall

Relevant courses:
Abnormal Psychology (B)
Electrophysiology (currently enrolled)
Psychopharmacology (currently enrolled)
Lifespan Development (A)
Social Psychology (A)
Biological Psychology (A)
Physiological Psychology (A)
Health Psychology (A)
Peak Performance Psychology (A)
And many more Psy classes that aren't too relevant.

Research experience (my main fear):
Will have a summer of research with a Sociology professor (as I initially planned on double-majoring and signed up for this over a year ago), but that is all

Clinical Experience:
Over six months of behavioral therapy work with autistic children, currently searching for a drug inpatient clinic to volunteer at.

That's really it, I have been so caught up with working full time to make rent/tuition that I feel I am gravely lacking in research. Also, the counselors here have been hyping my work thus far up as though I was on track to actually have a chance at getting into a good Ph.D program (which I now realize is improbable) - so, where to go from here?

Okay, reading this has me searching for advice, as I feel I lack all the experience I need. I am in my third year of my B.A and this is where I am at, interested in Neuropsych (looking at mainly Psy.D programs, but browsing the forums has me adding some Ph.Ds to my list as well):

GPA of 3.6 overall

Relevant courses:
Abnormal Psychology (B)
Lifespan Development (A)
Social Psychology (A)
Health Psychology (A)

Will have a summer of research with a Sociology professor (as I initially planned on double-majoring and signed up for this over a year ago), but that is all

Clinical Experience:
Over six months of behavioral therapy work with autistic children, currently searching for a drug inpatient clinic to volunteer at.

That's really it, I have been so caught up with working full time to make rent/tuition that I feel I am gravely lacking in research. Also, the counselors here have been hyping my work thus far up as though I was on track to actually have a chance at getting into a good Ph.D program (which I now realize is improbable) - so, where to go from here?
You definitely need more research experience and your time would be far better spent doing that than volunteering at a substance abuse program. Clinical experience can be helpful, but there are few jobs at the undergraduate level where you can get the requisite experience for it to be really worth your time.

You also need to understand that you don't need to have this all done by the time you graduate. It's very common to get admitted after taking a couple of years to build up your CV after you finish undergrad. E.g., in my cohort, less than 1/3 came in straight from undergrad. The rest had psychology related jobs of some kind (mostly RAs and psychometrists) before getting admitted.

GPA of 3.6 overall

Relevant courses:
Abnormal Psychology (B)
Lifespan Development (A)
Social Psychology (A)
Health Psychology (A)

Clinical Experience:

I would second what Psych.Meout said. My cohort is 6 people and there is only one person who came straight from undergrad. All the rest took AT LEAST one year off. It's likely the same, if not more true in PsyD programs where people might come in with master's degrees, who are older and looking for a career change, etc... Programs like to see research experience AND they like to see maturity (after all it is a 5-7 year commitment). Time out of undergrad to figure our life out, decide on what you REALLY want to be researching for the next 5-7 years, and getting more specific with your goals makes you a) a more attractive candidate and b) a better adjusted individual.

There is NO RUSH at all to run straight into a PhD post undergrad and you will be no less competitive because there was time between degrees. I would emphasize this especially if you don't have the research experience by next fall to make you an attractive candidate during the application process. If you're already working really hard to pay for school and stay afloat, you don't want waste the easily over $1000 it'll take just to apply. I am not exaggerating. Application fees are typically 50-100 dollars and most people apply to at least 10 programs. Then add in the cost of taking the GRE and you'll be dumping at least $1000 into a rushed process that you will likely have to do again, unless you decide to go to an unfunded program where you'll wrack up >100k in debt. Keep in mind, that $1000 is just applying. That doesn't include travel costs for interviews.

Not trying to scare you man. Just saying. Take your time. Haste makes waste. Go find a neuropsych lab if that's what you enjoy. Decide WHAT within neuropsych you want to research. It wont matter if you go PsyD or PhD. All programs require a dissertation and all well rounded programs will have a fair emphasis on research and practice.

Thank you both, I am worried about the impact the 5-7 years will have on my life and maybe a year off to evaluate my circumstances would be better for me. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

I'm sorry you've been on the receiving end of some well-intentioned but bad advice. Here's what to do:

1. Try to get a volunteer research assistant role at a psychology lab, beginning this summer or at least next fall. If you do your homework you can probably find out what the "good" labs are. Who is getting undergraduate research awards or honors, and which labs are they involved in? Which labs include undergraduates on conference presentations? These are good things to find out before you commit to a lab. You may not be able to get involved in higher-level activities right away, but you also don't want to get into a lab that has a reputation for treating their RAs as data entry clerks and nothing more.

2. Looking beyond graduation, try to find a research coordinator position or similar paying job where you might have an opportunity to co-author conference presentations and publications. Exhaust every avenue, including your school's career services center, job boards, word of mouth, etc.

3. Do very well on the GRE.

4. Do clinical volunteer work if it is personally important to you AND you have time for it (ie, time left over after doing all of the above), but don't invest the time because you think it's going to help your application. This isn't like applying to medical school. You are allowed to be more focused in your interests.