This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! Thank you in advance for reading. I'm very much still in the exploration / consideration phase and am looking for some guidance. I am 26, having worked for a few years in a completely non-Psychology related field and am considering going back to school with the intention of eventually going into private practice.

Academic Background:
3.85 GPA from an Ivy League school (H/Y/P), but I majored in History (I took only a couple Psych classes, received As).
Planning on taking a few evening courses in Psychology at a local college this summer and fall.

GRE:
Verbal 170, Quant 162, Analytical Writing 4.5

No research experience, I've been volunteering at a crisis hotline for the past 2 years.

My main questions are:
1. Given my lack of Psych background, would you recommend applying Fall 2018 or taking more classes and applying Fall 2019?
2. With my background and career goals, would you recommend pursuing a Masters or a PsyD (I assume a PhD is out of the question given my lack of research experience)?
3. Can I directly pursue a PsyD or would you think I need to obtain a Masters first?

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the wisdom!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Thank you in advance for reading. I'm very much still in the exploration / consideration phase and am looking for some guidance. I am 26, having worked for a few years in a completely non-Psychology related field and am considering going back to school with the intention of eventually going into private practice.

Academic Background:
3.85 GPA from an Ivy League school (H/Y/P), but I majored in History (I took only a couple Psych classes, received As).
Planning on taking a few evening courses in Psychology at a local college this summer and fall.

GRE:
Verbal 170, Quant 162, Analytical Writing 4.5

No research experience, I've been volunteering at a crisis hotline for the past 2 years.

My main questions are:
1. Given my lack of Psych background, would you recommend applying Fall 2018 or taking more classes and applying Fall 2019?
2. With my background and career goals, would you recommend pursuing a Masters or a PsyD (I assume a PhD is out of the question given my lack of research experience)?
3. Can I directly pursue a PsyD or would you think I need to obtain a Masters first?

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the wisdom!

If you just want to do private practice therapy, you should look into master's degree programs that lead to licensure (e.g., counseling, MFT, social work). It will be easier and far cheaper in terms of time and money than a PsyD program.

If you're also interested in assessment, research, teaching, specialties (e.g., neuropsych, forensic) then you should be looking at funded doctoral programs. Unfunded or minimally funded doctoral programs of any kind are prohibitively expensive, easily amounting to more than $100,000 in tuition costs alone before factoring in cost of living and other expenses.

Why is it that you are not considering getting research experience and applying to funded PhD programs?

Hello everyone! Wanted everyone's honest thoughts. I'm still putting a list of Clinical Pysch PhD schools together and would love to get y'alls input!

Undergrad School:
Big Ten School
Undergrad GPA/Psych GPA: 2.749/3.2 -- I had a rough sophomore year, but from that point it was only trending upwards (switched majors from pre-med/science to psych after sophomore year)
Major/Minor: BS Psychology, Minors: Stats and Bio
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.9
Grad Studies (if applicable): MPH Global Health at Emory, Certificate in Mental Health
GRE: Q-162, V- 157, W- 4.5 (thinking of maybe retaking to get my verbal and quant up a few points to make up for my low undergrad GPA- thoughts?)
Experience/Research:
- 1st Author of Abstract, poster presentation (national and local conference) and publication (Research for 2.5+ Years in Echo Lab)
- 1st Author of another Abstract/poster presentation (national and local conference) for same echo lab
- Summer research on Mental Health for nonprofit- currently using data writing masters thesis and will be submitting to poster presentations
- Summer research at major Childrens Hospital- will end up with 1st author abstract, poster presentation, and authorship on publication (projected goal for summer)
Special factors???
- Current Researcher at Emory Hospital (1 year)
- Volunteer at a mental health org
- Volunteer at a Crisis Center for 2 Years
- Intern at a Crisis Center for half a year
- High up position of a National Organization and position on grad school's mental health org
- asking LORs from Thesis Professor (PhD), Research Coordinator Echo Lab (Pediatric Cardiologist Head, MD), and Intern Supervisor at Childrens MN (Researcher, PhD)
- SAS, R, EpiInfo Background

Research Interests: South Asian and Cultural Mental Health, Depression/Anxiety Mood Disorders, Suicide, and Schizophrenia (Undergrad Thesis was on Schizophrenia)

I know my undergrad GPA is a bit of a mess, which is what is really worrying me but I have really found passion and my way, and really want to get in somewhere. Any thoughts on what I should be doing or my profile? Thank you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! Wanted everyone's honest thoughts. I'm still putting a list of Clinical Pysch PhD schools together and would love to get y'alls input!

Undergrad School:
Big Ten School
Undergrad GPA/Psych GPA: 2.749/3.2 -- I had a rough sophomore year, but from that point it was only trending upwards (switched majors from pre-med/science to psych after sophomore year)
Major/Minor: BS Psychology, Minors: Stats and Bio
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.9
Grad Studies (if applicable): MPH Global Health at Emory, Certificate in Mental Health
GRE: Q-162, V- 157, W- 4.5 (thinking of maybe retaking to get my verbal and quant up a few points to make up for my low undergrad GPA- thoughts?)
Experience/Research:
- 1st Author of Abstract, poster presentation (national and local conference) and publication (Research for 2.5+ Years in Echo Lab)
- 1st Author of another Abstract/poster presentation (national and local conference) for same echo lab
- Summer research on Mental Health for nonprofit- currently using data writing masters thesis and will be submitting to poster presentations
- Summer research at major Childrens Hospital- will end up with 1st author abstract, poster presentation, and authorship on publication (projected goal for summer)
Special factors???
- Current Researcher at Emory Hospital (1 year)
- Volunteer at a mental health org
- Volunteer at a Crisis Center for 2 Years
- Intern at a Crisis Center for half a year
- High up position of a National Organization and position on grad school's mental health org
- asking LORs from Thesis Professor (PhD), Research Coordinator Echo Lab (Pediatric Cardiologist Head, MD), and Intern Supervisor at Childrens MN (Researcher, PhD)
- SAS, R, EpiInfo Background

Research Interests: South Asian and Cultural Mental Health, Depression/Anxiety Mood Disorders, Suicide, and Schizophrenia (Undergrad Thesis was on Schizophrenia)

I know my undergrad GPA is a bit of a mess, which is what is really worrying me but I have really found passion and my way, and really want to get in somewhere. Any thoughts on what I should be doing or my profile? Thank you!

Overall you sound like you have done a lot of good work since your undergrad. Nonetheless, as you say your GPA in undergrad was poor. You sound like a strong applicant, but you will definitely want to explain the poor GPA in your statement of purpose. Don't spend a ton of time going into the details of what was going on, but give some context on what caused the grade slip, and then really hit home your experiences since then.

Hi all - applying to clinical/counseling programs in the fall. I haven't finalized my list of programs at this point, but was hoping to see where I could best apply my efforts based on my disposition. Only interested in university based phd or psyd programs with at least partial funding. Definitely not on the R1 level, but thinking I may have a shot at R2,R3 universities and maybe some high regarded PsyD programs.

Undergrad School:
Umass Amherst
Undergrad GPA/Psych GPA: 2.76/3.1 - Undergrad was not my shining moment, hopefully made up for it in grad program
Major/Minor: BS Psychology, Minor: Comp Sci
GradGPA: 3.98
Grad Studies (if applicable): MA Psychology (Clinical Research Focus)
GRE: TBD - taking in late July. Based on practice tests, should hover around the 310-315 mark for Quant/Verb
Experience/Research:
- 4+ total years of professional work experience in healthcare administration
- 2 of which in Electronic Medical Record Analysis/Support/Implementation (Major New England Health System)
- 2+ In Healthcare Design Research (Institutional research projects using Human Centered Design to improve patient exp -Large Academic Medical Center in Los Angeles)
- 2 Professional conference presentations
- Graduate research thesis being submitted to journals/poster presentations currently
- Professional training/teaching experience (EMR, Design)
- 3 Professional Recognition Awards
- 1 Formal Program Evaluation of integrative mental health facility
- Co-authored a $50,000 grant for mental health facility
- Dozen or so institutional research projects (not submitted for publication, but used to implement changes in medical center)
- Volunteer experience at LA food bank, LA Incubator School System
Special factors???
- Professional advancement in each role
- 2 Recommendations from UCLA Clinical Psych phDs
- MA program was very heavy on clinical/counseling theory and techniques, but didn't explore direct contact due to pursuing licensure on doctorate level

Thank you for your time! Hoping I have a shot getting in somewhere that isn't Agrosy/Alliant/Chicago School

So I was thinking to apply to both PhD and PsyD programs this coming cycle but after looking at some of the posts here I’m thinking another year of experience will probably be needed. As of now here are my stats. What do you guys think are my chances? If any...

Undergrad Gpa: 3.75 (BA Psychology)

GRE: haven’t taken yet

Research exp.: I work in a Lab as an RA doing basic tasks, I’m also working on a poster for a conference.

Clinical exp.: I work at a drop in center with clients who have survived sex trafficking/exploitation, I also volunteer at a non profit clinic for undocumented immigrants, I spent a semester as a student mentor for refugee kids too?

Other exp.: I’m a communication coordinator for a student organization that advocates against human trafficking. I also hold the communications manager position for an organization that creates a safe space for people with ID’s to socialize and create friendships. Im also joining the psych honor society this coming semester?

I also have three really good recommendation letters from professors/clinicians I got the chance to work with.

I genuinely don’t think I have a chance at a PhD program because I lack research so I’m leaning towards a PsyD. However, only the best well rounded programs. (Less than 20 cohort size, Won’t drown me in debt, so a competitive and short list) does anyone have any advice on getting into these programs or if I should take a gap year to work up my CV?

(Thanks to anyone who actually read through that btw I’m not even sure I posted in the right place, I’m fairly new to this site...)

Last edited:
I genuinely don’t think I have a chance at a PhD program because I lack research so I’m leaning towards a PsyD. However, only the best well rounded programs. (Less than 20 cohort size, Won’t drown me in debt, so a competitive and short list) does anyone have any advice on getting into these programs or if I should take a gap year to work up my CV?

Any reputable PsyD will want a similar amount of research exp as a balanced clinical PhD, so I wouldn't look at it as dichotomously as you currently are. If the poster gets accepted, that will be a solid addition to the CV. The biggest wildcard is the GRE. It's nearly impossible for anyone to give you anything near accurate prediction-wise without knowing those scores. Also, what area are you thinking of specializing in, and do you plan to apply widely, or limited to a certain area?

Thanks for responding! I would have taken my GRE sooner but my graduation date was moved up a semester witch turned out to be more of a bad thing for my application to graduate school this cycle. I am not fully sure what I want to specialize in yet, I definitely want to be a clinician and I'm interested in topics around substance abuse and trauma. I've learned that this is doable through various path, I'm using the limitations of what I can and can't do to choose a degree based in Texas, I am willing to go any where in the country if the program is good enough. Honestly I am questioning what the reason of getting a doctorates in other states is outside of academia and research? I apologize if any of this is silly to ask... I am still in the start of looking into all of this information because I was not expecting to apply this cycle due to my change of graduation...

Honestly I am questioning what the reason of getting a doctorates in other states is outside of academia and research? I apologize if any of this is silly to ask... I am still in the start of looking into all of this information because I was not expecting to apply this cycle due to my change of graduation...

None of this is silly to ask- this is a place for these types of questions.

There may not be enough graduate programs appropriate to your areas of interest in your current geographical area. The main reason for moving elsewhere for graduate school is simply because that is where the best school you got accepted to is located. Where you train does not have much bearing on where you'll end up. You should only be considering APA approved doctoral programs, and these will all meet a minimum standard for licensure in most, if not all, places you'll eventually end up. You'll also likely have to relocate again for internship, as it's very unlikely that there will be an appropriate and APA approved internship site where you are. Some states may have quirky local course requirements for licensure that you might not get in a different state, but these are rather uncommon nowadays. Good funded programs are very competitive, and limiting yourself geographically SIGNIFICANTLY lowers your chances of acceptance.

As an example- There were 7 students in my graduate school cohort (cohort= group of students who started in the same year). The school was in Western Massachusetts. 2 students were from California, 1 was from New York, 2 were from Connecticut, and 2 were from Massachusetts. 6 of us completed our training, with 2 of us are still in Mass, 1 returned to CA, one is in Illinois, 1 in PA, and 1 in CT. (I'm the very unusual case of someone who went to a Ph.D. program where they went to undergrad and already lived and, after moving away for internship and post-doc, is back in the area I went to grad school).

I am currently a senior in college, getting my BA in Psychology. I want to be a clinical child psychologist but I'm not sure if I have the credentials to be accepted into a phd program.

Here's my credentials:
3.025 GPA overall and a 3.102 GPA in my major
I am minoring in Children's Studies
I have taken General Psychology (A-), Human Development-Child (C), Human Development-Adolescent (B), Research Methods (B+), Psychological Statistics (C+), Social Psychology (A-), Theories of Learning (B+), and Theories of Personality (A-) so far.
I have some experience with children (babysitting, working at camps, etc)
I am president of my school's Psychology Club (even started it)
Also on the executive board for other clubs at my school

I haven't taken the GRE yet but I plan to in a couple more months. I also don't have any research experience outside of class.

I was planning on getting a Masters first (either in Social Work or Clinical Psychology) and then apply for a PhD program. But I heard it was cheaper to just get a PhD and I would still be getting a Masters if I get into one. I am aware that PhD programs in Clinical Psychology are super hard and that they only accept a small percentage of people who apply but I am still hopeful. Would I still be able to get into a program with my credentials so far? Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
I am currently a senior in college, getting my BA in Psychology. I want to be a clinical child psychologist but I'm not sure if I have the credentials to be accepted into one.

Here's my credentials:
I have taken General Psychology, Human Development-Child, Human Development-Adolescent, Research Methods, Psychological Statistics, Social Psychology, Theories of Learning, and Theories of Personality so far.

I haven't taken the GRE yet but I plan to in a couple more months. I also don't have any research experience outside of class. Would I still be able to get into a program with my credentials so far?

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread.

I am currently a senior in college, getting my BA in Psychology. I want to be a clinical child psychologist but I'm not sure if I have the credentials to be accepted into a phd program.

Here's my credentials:
I have taken General Psychology (A-), Human Development-Child (C), Human Development-Adolescent (B), Research Methods (B+), Psychological Statistics (C+), Social Psychology (A-), Theories of Learning (B+), and Theories of Personality (A-) so far.

I haven't taken the GRE yet but I plan to in a couple more months. I also don't have any research experience outside of class.

I was planning on getting a Masters first (either in Social Work or Clinical Psychology) and then apply for a PhD program. But I heard it was cheaper to just get a PhD and I would still be getting a Masters if I get into one. I am aware that PhD programs in Clinical Psychology are super hard and that they only accept a small percentage of people who apply but I am still hopeful. Would I still be able to get into a program with my credentials so far? Am I on the right track?

Do you have any research experience? A master's may be a good idea because your GPA is a bit lower than average. You also need to accrue research experience. That is one of the biggest factors PhD programs look for.

Do you have any research experience? A master's may be a good idea because your GPA is a bit lower than average. You also need to accrue research experience. That is one of the biggest factors PhD programs look for.

Unfortunately, I do not. I have been looking for volunteer opportunities as a research assistant but nothing has turned up. Also what is the average GPA programs look for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I do not. I have been looking for volunteer opportunities as a research assistant but nothing has turned up. Also what is the average GPA programs look for?

It varies program to program, but usually 3.5 and up. All APA accredited programs are required to post student admissions data, so you can see where your stats compare to previous incoming classes.

If you are really interested in pursuing a PhD or reputable PsyD, you may want to explore an experimental psych MA to help counteract your undergrad GPA and to gain research experience if you are unable to procure an RA position otherwise. If you are more interested in doing therapy and not really interested in assessment/testing and research, you can explore the MSW or mental health counseling degrees.

Reactions: 1 users
It varies program to program, but usually 3.5 and up. All APA accredited programs are required to post student admissions data, so you can see where your stats compare to previous incoming classes.

If you are really interested in pursuing a PhD or reputable PsyD, you may want to explore an experimental psych MA to help counteract your undergrad GPA and to gain research experience if you are unable to procure an RA position otherwise. If you are more interested in doing therapy and not really interested in assessment/testing and research, you can explore the MSW or mental health counseling degrees.

Thank you! I'm interested in both to be honest. I would love to do therapy and work in a hospital but there are many topics I would love to research. This might sound like a dumb question but would it be possible to do both research and therapy or is it completely impossible?

Here's my credentials:

The GPAs are pretty low, so that would need to be overcome. You'll need to do quite well on the GRE to make up for that. Also, the lack of any research experience will probably sink the application along with that GPA, even with a decent GRE score. Best bet is still probably the masters program where you can get some research experience and getting as close to a 4.0 in the masters program as you can.

The GPAs are pretty low, so that would need to be overcome. You'll need to do quite well on the GRE to make up for that. Also, the lack of any research experience will probably sink the application along with that GPA, even with a decent GRE score. Best bet is still probably the masters program where you can get some research experience and getting as close to a 4.0 in the masters program as you can.

Thank you! I just have another question for you: what type of master degree programs would you recommended for someone who wants a Clinical Psychology PhD afterward? I know getting a masters in Clinical Psychology seems like the obvious choice but I read somewhere that a master in clinical psych is virtually worthless. I has hoping to get more job opportunities with a MSW or a Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree from my school. But I'm not sure what types of degrees PhD programs look for.

Thank you! I just have another question for you: what type of master degree programs would you recommended for someone who wants a Clinical Psychology PhD afterward? I know getting a masters in Clinical Psychology seems like the obvious choice but I read somewhere that a master in clinical psych is virtually worthless. I has hoping to get more job opportunities with a MSW or a Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree from my school. But I'm not sure what types of degrees PhD programs look for.

PhDs are typically looking for research experience. An MA in clinical psychology is worthless in the sense that it is not license-eligible and is usually not a terminal degree. The purpose is to give you time to hone skills necessary for PhD programs. If you can get solid research experience and a thesis from an MSW or MHC degree program, then that's great too.

Reactions: 1 user
hello gang! Hope you are all well. I want to become a licensed psychologist (I do not say that as if it’s an easy feat). However, I have a bit of an issue that I could use advice on. My GPA is less than stellar, I had a 3.1 cumulative and a 3.2 psych GPA from the university I graduated from. I attended another university for a year and had a 2.5. While the GPA can be explained it cannot be excused. See, from senior year of HS to about end of sophomore/beginning of junior year of college I went through serious family issues. Both my grandparents suffered from prolonged terminal illness. One suffered strokes and dementia and passed and the other had lung cancer and kidney issues and died unexpectedly (we expected him to pass soon, but he was doing objectively well when he passed. So it was a small shock). I don’t say this for pity but rather context. Due to the continuous unpredictable trips to the hospital and constant calls, it was hard to keep my grades up. Especially since I committed to one university and that also took its toll. After a brief period of situational depression I bounced back. Obtaining Bs and As in my end of junior and whole senior year. Courses like psychopathology, research, and statistics I received As and one B.
Now here is my dilemma, how do I become competitive for ANY PhD psych program? I have good EC such as clinical work but no real research since my university was very limited on that. I have found a good and affordable masters I may be able to get Into at the city university of New York, city college. They not only offer a thesis option, but also additional research Opportunities to bolster my resume. I should add I’m 25, I wasn’t the most traditional student. It took longer to complete because of the family issues and some financial issues I had. But I can do the work, I just didn’t fair well under the circumstances that weren’t controllable. I just need to show the universities I can do the work.
My interest is heavily into individuals in ADHD and how to enhance memory and learning. As I also have ADHD (now managed) but many don’t have it managed or diagnosed and suffer, it’s a shame because studies show they score higher than average in IQ but have issues in traditional schooling. Sorry for the digression at the end there.
Any advice would help and be appreciated!

hello gang! Hope you are all well. I want to become a licensed psychologist (I do not say that as if it’s an easy feat). However, I have a bit of an issue that I could use advice on. My GPA is less than stellar, I had a 3.1 cumulative and a 3.2 psych GPA from the university I graduated from. I attended another university for a year and had a 2.5. While the GPA can be explained it cannot be excused. See, from senior year of HS to about end of sophomore/beginning of junior year of college I went through serious family issues. Both my grandparents suffered from prolonged terminal illness. One suffered strokes and dementia and passed and the other had lung cancer and kidney issues and died unexpectedly (we expected him to pass soon, but he was doing objectively well when he passed. So it was a small shock). I don’t say this for pity but rather context. Due to the continuous unpredictable trips to the hospital and constant calls, it was hard to keep my grades up. Especially since I committed to one university and that also took its toll. After a brief period of situational depression I bounced back. Obtaining Bs and As in my end of junior and whole senior year. Courses like psychopathology, research, and statistics I received As and one B.
Now here is my dilemma, how do I become competitive for ANY PhD psych program? I have good EC such as clinical work but no real research since my university was very limited on that. I have found a good and affordable masters I may be able to get Into at the city university of New York, city college. They not only offer a thesis option, but also additional research Opportunities to bolster my resume. I should add I’m 25, I wasn’t the most traditional student. It took longer to complete because of the family issues and some financial issues I had. But I can do the work, I just didn’t fair well under the circumstances that weren’t controllable. I just need to show the universities I can do the work.
My interest is heavily into individuals in ADHD and how to enhance memory and learning. As I also have ADHD (now managed) but many don’t have it managed or diagnosed and suffer, it’s a shame because studies show they score higher than average in IQ but have issues in traditional schooling. Sorry for the digression at the end there.

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread

If you are set on a PhD, an MA first is a fine route. While I empathize with your struggles in undergrad, you'll need to excel in your masters to prove you are capable of handling graduate level work. Reach out to professors early on about volunteering on their research teams. Google ADHD research for opportunities nearby. Universities are obviously great places to get started but nabbing a paid position elsewhere is possible. Last I recall Syracuse has a couple researchers in that area as well. Read journal articles in your area. Start with a lit review if you have no idea where to start.

Keep in mind a clinical psychology masters degree is the best prep for a PhD program, but the masters is NOT licensable. If you decide against applying or don't get in to a funded doc program, your masters will have much less value. If you're more practice-oriented and aren't super interested in research, a masters in social work or mental health counseling may be a better route. Keep in mind you don't need to decide until next year. You can apply to a variety of masters programs in the fall, continue to get a feel for the field and your areas of interest, and then ultimately make a decision in the spring.

Regardless, buy the Norcross(?) prep book for clinical/counseling programs. It consolidates match rates, research interests, GRE, etc all in one place. Definitely was one of the most helpful resources for myself and many others.

If you are set on a PhD, an MA first is a fine route. While I empathize with your struggles in undergrad, you'll need to excel in your masters to prove you are capable of handling graduate level work. Reach out to professors early on about volunteering on their research teams. Google ADHD research for opportunities nearby. Universities are obviously great places to get started but nabbing a paid position elsewhere is possible. Last I recall Syracuse has a couple researchers in that area as well. Read journal articles in your area. Start with a lit review if you have no idea where to start.

Keep in mind a clinical psychology masters degree is the best prep for a PhD program, but the masters is NOT licensable. If you decide against applying or don't get in to a funded doc program, your masters will have much less value. If you're more practice-oriented and aren't super interested in research, a masters in social work or mental health counseling may be a better route. Keep in mind you don't need to decide until next year. You can apply to a variety of masters programs in the fall, continue to get a feel for the field and your areas of interest, and then ultimately make a decision in the spring.

Regardless, buy the Norcross(?) prep book for clinical/counseling programs. It consolidates match rates, research interests, GRE, etc all in one place. Definitely was one of the most helpful resources for myself and many others.
Thank you for that advice! I was accepted into a MSW at my college. I ultimately decided against that as my program was HEAVILY into social justice and highly political to the point that it was less about helping the patient but rather fighting the system. A psychologist at my school agreed, and said if you’re into research aswell as the implementation of theories such a logotherapy proposed by frankl or the theories of archetypes by jung, then going PhD may be your best bet. I will certainly reach out to the master programs around me especially those in clinical. Thanks again!

Hi all,

Curious for some feedback as this will be my second (and hopefully last) time applying to clinical psych PhD programs. Here are my credentials:

uGPA: 3.91 (Psychology and Criminal Justice dual major)
Grad GPA: 3.91 (Clinical Psychology, thesis track)

GRE: 161V, 170Q, 5 AW (up from 153V and 163Q last time I applied). No psychology GRE as it looks like the schools I'm applying to do not require it.

Research Experience: 3.5-4 years total. This includes:
~1 year as a research extern at a private practice (data collection, entry, and statistical analysis but no write ups)
~2 years completing empirical thesis
~1.5 years as a study interviewer at a local university;
~2 years at my most recent position (further outlined below) which provided a combination of clinical, assessment, and research experience. My research experience here was largely independent. Study design, IRB proposal, data collection, analysis, and manuscript prep. I'll be first author on anything that comes of this (though I doubt any publications/poster presentations will come out of this by the time I apply this year).
4 poster presentations (2 at undergraduate institution, 1 at graduate institution, and 1 at APLS national conference).
No pubs yet but my thesis is in progress.

Clinical Experience:
~2 years pre-masters in mobile outreach and residential crisis work. Under the supervision of LCPC.
~6 mo. as an outpatient therapist.
~2 years as a psychology associate in a forensic facility, primarily working with sex offenders (my area of interest in clinical and research). Providing therapy and risk assessment under the supervision of a licensed psychologist.

Professional memberships:
ATSA (clinical associate)

Teaching experience:
Graduate TA for a masters level assessment lab.
1 guest lecture for an undergraduate class (nominated by my director of masters training)

LOR(s):
3-4 strong letters. 1 from director of thesis track for my masters program, 1 from thesis advisor, 1 from thesis chair, and 1 from my most recent research supervisor.

I'm applying to PhD programs with faculty involved in forensic work. I'm not geographically restricted and plan to apply to a variety of programs (though all will be APA accredited with good match rates and strong faculty matches). I had 2 interviews last time with 1 wait list.

Any feedback?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Curious for some feedback as this will be my second (and hopefully last) time applying to clinical psych PhD programs. Here are my credentials:

uGPA: 3.91 (Psychology and Criminal Justice dual major)
Grad GPA: 3.91 (Clinical Psychology, thesis track)

GRE: 161V, 170Q, 5 AW (up from 153V and 163Q last time I applied). No psychology GRE as it looks like the schools I'm applying to do not require it.

Research Experience: 3.5-4 years total. This includes:
~1 year as a research extern at a private practice (data collection, entry, and statistical analysis but no write ups)
~2 years completing empirical thesis
~1.5 years as a study interviewer at a local university;
~2 years at my most recent position (further outlined below) which provided a combination of clinical, assessment, and research experience. My research experience here was largely independent. Study design, IRB proposal, data collection, analysis, and manuscript prep. I'll be first author on anything that comes of this (though I doubt any publications/poster presentations will come out of this by the time I apply this year).
4 poster presentations (2 at undergraduate institution, 1 at graduate institution, and 1 at APLS national conference).
No pubs yet but my thesis is in progress.

Clinical Experience:
~2 years pre-masters in mobile outreach and residential crisis work. Under the supervision of LCPC.
~6 mo. as an outpatient therapist.
~2 years as a psychology associate in a forensic facility, primarily working with sex offenders (my area of interest in clinical and research). Providing therapy and risk assessment under the supervision of a licensed psychologist.

Professional memberships:
ATSA (clinical associate)

Teaching experience:
Graduate TA for a masters level assessment lab.
1 guest lecture for an undergraduate class (nominated by my director of masters training)

LOR(s):
3-4 strong letters. 1 from director of thesis track for my masters program, 1 from thesis advisor, 1 from thesis chair, and 1 from my most recent research supervisor.

I'm applying to PhD programs with faculty involved in forensic work. I'm not geographically restricted and plan to apply to a variety of programs (though all will be APA accredited with good match rates and strong faculty matches). I had 2 interviews last time with 1 wait list.

Any feedback?
Seems pretty darn solid. Only big factors left are research fit and personal statement. Not much you can do now about publications, but you have quite a bit of experience regardless.

Where are you thinking of applying? I know John Jay in NYC offers a forensic specialization and has a bunch of faculty in that area. Fordham has at least one researcher in that area if I recall. Both programs have good funding.

John Jay and Fordham are both on my list, as well as Drexel and a couple of others. A lot of my other schools are contingent upon my faculty matches accepting students next year, and it looks like most of them wont post that until August or September.

I really want to ask these 3 questions of someone (training director and students) in Ph.D. counseling psychology programs before spending the money to apply, but if I do, will it look bad?

1) May I talk to alumni or current students in your program?

2) Would you describe the historic-present culture of your program as laid back (e.g. students regularly drink beer with their professor mentors and each other, on Fridays students tend to go to dance clubs) or more serious (e.g. students occasionally spend time with their co-hort at restaurants or movies but usually they're studying over the weekend, perhaps in the library)?

3) What are your views on ideal therapeutic/interpersonal skills (e.g., showing warmth, validation, and knowledge are the aims or diagnosing and providing strictly objective conversation are most important)?

Thank you,
Sharewithme

I really want to ask these 3 questions of someone (training director and students) in Ph.D. counseling psychology programs before spending the money to apply, but if I do, will it look bad?

Clinical program, but I don't think it will vary that much.

1) May I talk to alumni or current students in your program?

Sure, though it might be a bit awkward, especially since this is typically what the social gatherings during interview sessions are for.

2) Would you describe the historic-present culture of your program as laid back (e.g. students regularly drink beer with their professor mentors and each other, on Fridays students tend to go to dance clubs) or more serious (e.g. students occasionally spend time with their co-hort at restaurants or movies but usually they're studying over the weekend, perhaps in the library)?

Depends on the program and the cohort, but typically grad students are fairly busy to be getting together every weekend and we're kind of poor, which limits the options.

3) What are your views on ideal therapeutic/interpersonal skills (e.g., showing warmth, validation, and knowledge are the aims or diagnosing and providing strictly objective conversation are most important)?

This is stuff for your assessment and intervention courses, but will also vary depending on who your clinical supervisor is during your practica.

Sure, though it might be a bit awkward, especially since this is typically what the social gatherings during interview sessions are for.

Depends on the program and the cohort, but typically grad students are fairly busy to be getting together every weekend and we're kind of poor, which limits the options.

This is stuff for your assessment and intervention courses, but will also vary depending on who your clinical supervisor is during your practica.
I seriously can't imagine anyone saying that rapport (including warmth and validation) *isn't* important in clinical work...

Hi All,

Applying to PsyD and PhD in clinical psychology, although mostly PsyD programs in the fall. I posted here a while ago, but wanted to see what you think about chances of getting into programs in the New York are. I unfortunately cannot relocate but have considered applying to schools in Philly.

Applying to: Rutgers, Yeshiva, Fordham, LIU Post, Wiedener, LaSalle, Chestnut Hill, Pace.

GPA: Started studying political science in Europe and left after 2 years to relocate to the US, horrible grades (GPA 2.3!!!) worked in publshing for 2 years and then decided to finish my undergrad in the US (chose a program where you could basically tailor your own curriculum) did mostly psych courses (GPA 3.9). Then applied for a Master's Degree in Counseling and graduated with a 4.0 this year. I am trilingual if that helps at all..

GRE: Haven't taken the GRE but I am anticipating a verbal score of 160 (hopefully) and quant I honestly don't think I can manage higher than 155.

Research: Have been working in 2 great research labs since January 2018, so almost a year by the time applications are due, currently one publication and hoping to get another one before applications are out

Volunteer experience: Unfortunately not much, I had a child 2 years ago so I haven't had much time (not an excuse I know) I do work as a crisis text counselor though

Letters of recommendation: One from the head of clinical phd programs at NYU who leads my research lab, another one from a former professor and the third from my former supervisor.

Clinical experience: Internship in a substance abuse outpatient clinic at Weill Cornell for one year and will be working in private practice as a limited permit mental health counselor starting in September. I have taken some training in REBT and DBT.

My biggest worry is my undergrad GPA and the GRE at this point... Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

GPA: Started studying political science in Europe and left after 2 years to relocate to the US, horrible grades (GPA 2.3!!!) worked in publshing for 2 years and then decided to finish my undergrad in the US (chose a program where you could basically tailor your own curriculum) did mostly psych courses (GPA 3.9). Then applied for a Master's Degree in Counseling and graduated with a 4.0 this year. I am trilingual if that helps at all..

My biggest worry is my undergrad GPA and the GRE at this point... Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

A master's program is partly for the chance to raise your GPA, and since you're undergrad GPA was outside the states, the comparison may be a little tough to begin with.

A master's program is partly for the chance to raise your GPA, and since you're undergrad GPA was outside the states, the comparison may be a little tough to begin with.

So that is a bad thing? Sorry I don't follow. Just hoping to get a better idea on how my chances are since everyone here seems very experienced :)

I just got back my GRE score: V161, Q157, AW4.5. I'm taking it again for a higher quant score. My question is should I consider taking the GRE Psychology test as well in October? My score from last year was 730/85th percentile. Will this be an important factor in admission and for future fellowship opportunities?

Thank you!

Hi everyone! I will be applying to clinical and counseling programs this Fall. Please see my stas and experiences below and let me know your genuine thoughts. Tough love needed LOL! Thank you!!! I will apply to 3-4 masters programs as backups, but I'm currently reconsidering applying to PhDs because I think my chances are slim...

Undergrad GPA: 3.85. I graduated in 3 years and currently on my gap year.

GRE: I haven't taken it yet, but I'll take it as many times as needed, so it won't likely to be an issue.

GRE Psych: 730/85th percentile. I will probably take it again in October.

LORs: I will ask two PhD mentors from research labs who know me well and are in the same field I want to pursue in grad school. I will ask my ABA employer who can speak highly about my therapy skills.

Research experience: I've worked in 6 labs since 1st year of college. I had experiences in almost every aspect of research, and I had built great relationships with two mentors. But I have no independent research experience or senior thesis.

Presentations/publications: I presented at one school conference (oral presentation, 1st author) and one national conference (poster, 2nd author). I'm currently helping one mentor write a manuscript and we plan to get it published, and I will likely to be 2nd or 3rd author. I'm also listed as the 4th author on two posters in a national conference.

Clinical experience: I volunteered at a psychiatric clinic for one year and interned at a pediatric clinic for six months. I'm currently working as an ABA therapist for kids with autism.

So that is a bad thing? Sorry I don't follow. Just hoping to get a better idea on how my chances are since everyone here seems very experienced :)

It's a GOOD thing. I was saying that going to a master's program could make sense because, logically, raising a GPA is a reason to do so. If the comparisons were hard to make, then they couldn't evaluate you negatively based on that, so that'd be one less thing to worry about.

It's a GOOD thing. I was saying that going to a master's program could make sense because, logically, raising a GPA is a reason to do so. If the comparisons were hard to make, then they couldn't evaluate you negatively based on that, so that'd be one less thing to worry about.
Thanks!!

Good afternoon everyone.

So I'm very new to this, but wanted to get some input into whether I have a chance to get accepted into a program or not. I'm currently active duty Air Force, and am separating in almost exactly a year. When I get out, I want to get into a PsyD program, but I don't have a background in psychology. I graduated college with a 2.8 GPA, but have since taken some classes at the local university and my GPA is around 3 now. I also took the GRE's and got a 153Q, 156V, and a 4.5 written.
I want to work with other vets who may be suffering from PTSD, but I realize my lack of a background in psychology is going to hinder me severely. Is there anything I can do, or that you would suggest to help me be a more competitive applicant?
Thanks in advance.

Good afternoon everyone.

So I'm very new to this, but wanted to get some input into whether I have a chance to get accepted into a program or not. I'm currently active duty Air Force, and am separating in almost exactly a year. When I get out, I want to get into a PsyD program, but I don't have a background in psychology. I graduated college with a 2.8 GPA, but have since taken some classes at the local university and my GPA is around 3 now. I also took the GRE's and got a 153Q, 156V, and a 4.5 written.
I want to work with other vets who may be suffering from PTSD, but I realize my lack of a background in psychology is going to hinder me severely. Is there anything I can do, or that you would suggest to help me be a more competitive applicant?
Thanks in advance.

The GPA will hurt, a lot. The GREs are ok, quant should be higher and verbal could be a touch higher, but not good enough to make up for the GPA and lack of any psych experience. To have a shot at reputable PsyDs or balanced clinical PhDs, your best bet is a master's program. You'll need to pretty much ace everything in the master's program and also choose one that gets you some research experience.

Additionally, if you are only interested in intervention/therapy type services, I would strongly consider social work, or master's level counseling degrees.

The GPA will hurt, a lot. The GREs are ok, quant should be higher and verbal could be a touch higher, but not good enough to make up for the GPA and lack of any psych experience. To have a shot at reputable PsyDs or balanced clinical PhDs, your best bet is a master's program. You'll need to pretty much ace everything in the master's program and also choose one that gets you some research experience.

Additionally, if you are only interested in intervention/therapy type services, I would strongly consider social work, or master's level counseling degrees.
Do you think that the military experience might help offset some of the damage created by the low GPA?

Do you think that the military experience might help offset some of the damage created by the low GPA?

Not when it is that low. You can get a small bump for that, but it won't offset big red flags. Once again, this is for reputable programs. The diploma mills (Argosy/Alliant/Albizu) will accept much lower, but you will pay a fortune for that degree and it will hurt your prospects at getting an accredited internship and many job opportunities in the future if you go that route.

Hi all, as I'm getting ready (And anxious) for application season, I am looking into some more master's programs to add to my list of schools. I am planning on applying to MAPSS at U Chicago. It is a program specifically designed to help get you into a clinical psychology phd program later, are there any other reputable programs like that one?

Hi all, as I'm getting ready (And anxious) for application season, I am looking into some more master's programs to add to my list of schools. I am planning on applying to MAPSS at U Chicago. It is a program specifically designed to help get you into a clinical psychology phd program later, are there any other reputable programs like that one?
I'd be somewhat less focused on this strategy (which seems more like marketing than anything) in favor of finding master's programs where you can do the kind of research that you want to continue studying in your doctoral program. E.g., If you're interested in language processing in autism, it's less compelling to faculty at doctoral programs that you received a master's degree from a program designed to get you into doctoral programs than it is that you formulated, implemented, and composed a thesis related to this topic under an investigator who is an expert in this area.

Remember, it's about fit, not simply that you can complete a master's degree. Unless you need to make up for a poor showing in undergrad, I'd recommend just getting more research experience applicable to your interests and fit with faculty.

If you are wanting to truly do a PhD in clinical, you should probably focus on research by either pursuing a research-oriented masters program or RAing for 2+ years. Lots of people RA to get some (limited) money and build experience, and they transition back into academic life just fine.

Getting an MSW or MA in counseling may speak to your clinical experiences, but not your passion for research. Most, but not all, reputable clinical PhD programs will emphasize the clinical-science side of things, where you are expected to be a great clinician but a leader in the field in your research area.

If you want to just practice, I would not advise pursing 6+ years to become licensed. You would not technically have the title "psychologist" in most states if you get a MSW or MA in counseling (the term therapist or social worker would be more appropriate legally), but you would be clinically practicing.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to apply for PhD in Counseling Psychology this cycle, but I did NOT do well on my GRE enough to apply this fall (due to personal reasons)

I was thinking about getting a RA position post grad, but I do want to continue going to school AND do research in case I decide I want to get licensed with my masters and just practice instead. (And of course, I would prepare again for the GRE if I decide to apply for PhD programs afterwards)

The state I am in right now, has only one Masters in Counseling program, but we have TONS of Masters in Social Work program.

I was leaning more towards Masters in Clinical Social Work - because of the diverse background of training that a social work program would give me. I am hoping to become a psychologist that has a broader understanding of my client's environment, and I felt like an MSW would give me a good training in that aspect.

Question - Do you guys think the PhD admission committee will "care" if I either have a MA in Counseling or MSW? Or would they focus on my research experience more than anything else?

I don't know what state you live in, but it's possible to do research and get either an MSW or master's in counseling. You'd have to be getting a degree at an institution where there is a lot of research opportunities. For example, if you get a clinical master's or master's in counseling at the Teachers College (Columbia University), you'll have the opportunity to at least volunteer and research for many experts in the field due to the fact that both their clinical and counseling psych PhD programs are housed there. However, if you're at an institution where the MSW or counseling degree are being taught by faculty who are mainly clinically focused, you'll have to volunteer and research elsewhere or dig around the psych departments of the schools you're at for that research opportunity.

I got a master's in counseling while volunteering in a lab in my department because I'm older and I was worried if I didn't get into a PhD program I wouldn't have a viable degree with which to continue some kind of career I'd enjoy. It worked out as I got into a counseling doctoral program after I graduated and I'd still take that path again. HOWEVER, PhD programs (even counseling ones) do look heavily on research experience. They want to see that you've presented, published, made SOME kind of significant contribution to the labs you've been a part of. You need to have a clear focus of what you want to research and find faculty who share those interests. So if your undergraduate GPA is solid, you know you love research and want to get the doctorate, and are still in your early 20s, I'd do the RA route as it's WAY cheaper. Master's programs aren't funded after all.

What are my chances of being accepted into a Clinical Psych PhD program?

Undergraduate GPA: 3.45
Psychology major GPA: 3.39
Last 60 credits: 3.60

Graduate GPA: 3.95 (Master’s in Psychology with empirical thesis)

GRE: V 163, Q 158, AW 4.0, Psych 670

Research & Clinical Experience:
- Research Assistant @ VA Research Center (current position, will have been ~ 6 months in December): conducting studies that explore cognition in individuals with MTL lesions and individuals with PTSD. Will be first author on a manuscript that might be submitted by December.

- Empirical Master’s Thesis @ Master’s program (1 year): will be submitted for publication within the next month; used multilevel modeling to explore the long-term effects of trauma and resilience on cognitive functioning in adulthood.

- Clinical Research Coordinator @ Psychiatric Research Site (1.5 years): worked on clinical trials, focusing on MDD, anxiety disorders, and addictions. Conducted patient visits, administered psychological assessments and cognitive batteries, and managed data and regulatory aspects (i.e. data collection and entry, communication with CROs and IRB). Lead coordinator on a trial examining the efficacy of intranasal ketamine for treatment-resistant depression.

- Community Support Counselor @ Non-Profit Social Assistance Program (4 months): provided guidance and direct supports to individuals with severe mental illness living independently in the community.

- Research Assistant @ Undergrad, summer after senior year (2 months): language development in preschool-aged children. Collected/managed data.

- Research Assistant @ Undergrad, senior year (1 year): research project looking at the relationship between stress, faith and aging in older adults. Presented findings at departmental poster session.

- Research Project @ Undergrad, junior year (3 months): research project on prevalence and treatment options for co-occurring personality disorders and substance use disorders. Presented at departmental conference.

- Co-Facilitator @ Halfway house (3 months): volunteer position as part of junior year course; co-facilitated a psychoeducational group about relationships and conflict resolution.

LOR(s):
1. Advisor at Master’s program (thesis advisor & professor)
2. Director of current lab at the VA
3. PI at psychiatric research site
4. (if needed) Professor at Master’s program (2nd reader for thesis & professor for 1 upper level & 2 masters level stats courses)

Research interests: will be applying to programs that have faculty members studying trauma/PTSD/anxiety.

A couple of questions:
1. When assessing my chances of being accepted, which GPA should I compare to the posted average GPA of accepted students for each school? If I use my Master’s GPA, I exceed most averages. If I use my Undergrad GPA, I am a bit below most of the averages. I’m tempted to just average the two GPAs and use that as a guide, but I am wondering if anyone has other suggestions.

2. Does my selection of letter-writers make sense? Writer #3 would write me a good letter, however it would be related to the work I did as a coordinator at a psychiatric research site. Writer #4 was the 2nd reader on my thesis and can attest to my abilities in three statistics courses, two that were required for the Master’s program and one upper level multivariate course that I elected to take. I received a 4.0 in all three courses, learned a lot of R, and was able to use multivariate analyses in R for my thesis. While this writer already agreed to write me a letter, I wasn’t able to assess how good the letter would be. Which would be a better choice as my third letter writer (as most programs ask for only 3)?

What are my chances of being accepted into a Clinical Psych PhD program?

Undergraduate GPA: 3.45
Psychology major GPA: 3.39
Last 60 credits: 3.60

Graduate GPA: 3.95 (Master’s in Psychology with empirical thesis)

GRE: V 163, Q 158, AW 4.0, Psych 670

Research & Clinical Experience:
- Research Assistant @ VA Research Center (current position, will have been ~ 6 months in December): conducting studies that explore cognition in individuals with MTL lesions and individuals with PTSD. Will be first author on a manuscript that might be submitted by December.

- Empirical Master’s Thesis @ Master’s program (1 year): will be submitted for publication within the next month; used multilevel modeling to explore the long-term effects of trauma and resilience on cognitive functioning in adulthood.

- Clinical Research Coordinator @ Psychiatric Research Site (1.5 years): worked on clinical trials, focusing on MDD, anxiety disorders, and addictions. Conducted patient visits, administered psychological assessments and cognitive batteries, and managed data and regulatory aspects (i.e. data collection and entry, communication with CROs and IRB). Lead coordinator on a trial examining the efficacy of intranasal ketamine for treatment-resistant depression.

- Community Support Counselor @ Non-Profit Social Assistance Program (4 months): provided guidance and direct supports to individuals with severe mental illness living independently in the community.

- Research Assistant @ Undergrad, summer after senior year (2 months): language development in preschool-aged children. Collected/managed data.

- Research Assistant @ Undergrad, senior year (1 year): research project looking at the relationship between stress, faith and aging in older adults. Presented findings at departmental poster session.

- Research Project @ Undergrad, junior year (3 months): research project on prevalence and treatment options for co-occurring personality disorders and substance use disorders. Presented at departmental conference.

- Co-Facilitator @ Halfway house (3 months): volunteer position as part of junior year course; co-facilitated a psychoeducational group about relationships and conflict resolution.

LOR(s):
1. Advisor at Master’s program (thesis advisor & professor)
2. Director of current lab at the VA
3. PI at psychiatric research site
4. (if needed) Professor at Master’s program (2nd reader for thesis & professor for 1 upper level & 2 masters level stats courses)

Research interests: will be applying to programs that have faculty members studying trauma/PTSD/anxiety.

A couple of questions:
1. When assessing my chances of being accepted, which GPA should I compare to the posted average GPA of accepted students for each school? If I use my Master’s GPA, I exceed most averages. If I use my Undergrad GPA, I am a bit below most of the averages. I’m tempted to just average the two GPAs and use that as a guide, but I am wondering if anyone has other suggestions.

2. Does my selection of letter-writers make sense? Writer #3 would write me a good letter, however it would be related to the work I did as a coordinator at a psychiatric research site. Writer #4 was the 2nd reader on my thesis and can attest to my abilities in three statistics courses, two that were required for the Master’s program and one upper level multivariate course that I elected to take. I received a 4.0 in all three courses, learned a lot of R, and was able to use multivariate analyses in R for my thesis. While this writer already agreed to write me a letter, I wasn’t able to assess how good the letter would be. Which would be a better choice as my third letter writer (as most programs ask for only 3)?

1. The averages you see on those stats are almost always undergraduate GPAs exclusively. So you should use your undergraduate GPA to compare rather than averaging GPAs. However, they will see that despite your lower than average undergrad GPA, you have a solid master's GPA in psych. So I think you'll be fine.

2. This is harder for me to say. The first one for sure as you want a good academic rec. Then you want someone who can speak to your research potential. So whoever can do that best for you, go with that one. As for the 3rd one, I would lean more toward someone who can attest to your academic skills considering your lower undergrad GPA. However, if you're worried about that person, you could always suggest some things they should be sure to include on the rec letter. Perhaps other people have some other opinions.

1. The averages you see on those stats are almost always undergraduate GPAs exclusively. So you should use your undergraduate GPA to compare rather than averaging GPAs. However, they will see that despite your lower than average undergrad GPA, you have a solid master's GPA in psych. So I think you'll be fine.

2. This is harder for me to say. The first one for sure as you want a good academic rec. Then you want someone who can speak to your research potential. So whoever can do that best for you, go with that one. As for the 3rd one, I would lean more toward someone who can attest to your academic skills considering your lower undergrad GPA. However, if you're worried about that person, you could always suggest some things they should be sure to include on the rec letter. Perhaps other people have some other opinions.
That's good to know about the GPAs. Also, I appreciate your insight regarding the letters of recommendation. I think you're right, it makes sense to choose someone who can attest to my academic skills to help offset my undergraduate GPA. Thanks for your response!

Sent from my LGUS997 using SDN mobile