WAMC? What schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idunnowhattonamemyself

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will be applying this next cycle and I am really nervous. I plan on applying to the four dental schools in Texas because I am a resident here. I really hope to get into a Texas school, but I am not sure if I should take my chances or also apply to OOS schools just to be safe (even though the costs might make me regret it)? I feel my stats are very average, so I would like to apply OOS to increase my chances, but I don't even know where to start on making a list of schools - any advice would be great!

Stats:
Biology Major. Junior.
oGPA: 3.72 // sGPA: 3.66
DAT: PAT: 20 // QR: 21 // RC: 21 // BIO: 20 // GC: 22 // OC: 22 // TS: 21 // AA: 21

-----

Please let me know where I stand and which schools I should add onto my list or if I even should. Thank you so much for reading this!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're definitely competitive. Interview well and you will have a great chance for the Texas schools!

Reactions: 1 user
You will be fine. Have a good personal statement, and be honest if it comes up as to why you do not have as many shadowing hours. With those stats you will get interviews... just blow them away in the interview and more importantly, relax. This process can be grueling, go into it with a positive mindset. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I will be applying this next cycle and I am really nervous. I plan on applying to the four dental schools in Texas because I am a resident here. I really hope to get into a Texas school, but I am not sure if I should take my chances or also apply to OOS schools just to be safe (even though the costs might make me regret it)? I feel my stats are very average, so I would like to apply OOS to increase my chances, but I don't even know where to start on making a list of schools - any advice would be great!

Before I begin, I decided pre-dental pretty late in the game. I knew I wanted to be a part of a healthcare career, but didn't officially decide on dentistry until my second semester of sophomore year. This is why I am lacking in dental-related experiences. Though I wished I could have done more this semester (right before apps open), I decided to study abroad for a semester to learn and improve my Spanish as well as gain new life experiences.

Stats:
Human Biology Major. Junior.
oGPA: 3.72 // sGPA: 3.66
DAT: PAT: 20 // QR: 21 // RC: 21 // BIO: 20 // GC: 22 // OC: 22 // TS: 21 // AA: 21

Extracurricular Activities:
- research experience (2 semesters + paid summer fellowship + poster presentation)
- leadership position and committee positions for a mental health advocacy organization (4 semesters)
- 50 hours of shadowing one general dentist
- 100 hours of volunteering at various events and organizations (20 hours come from a low-income dental clinic)
- part-time job at an office (since freshman year)
- study abroad with prestigious scholarship

LORs:
The LOR from the dentist I shadowing will be strong as I've gotten to know her well within the 50 hours I've shadowed her. The LOR from my professors will be average - they simply know I did well in their classes, showed up to office hours, and participated during lectures. The LOR from the director of an organization I volunteer at will be strong since she's known me since freshman year.

-----
Please let me know where I stand and which schools I should add onto my list or if I even should. Thank you so much for reading this!
I think you have a good shot at your in-state Texas schools, and I would focus my networking within those programs and maybe a handful of OOS programs that you know have accepted Texas applicants. There aren't many of those because we know from past experience that strong Texas applicans will tend to stay in-state due to costs.

While I think your clinical exposure hours are just making the minimum for strong consideration, I hope you'll get more by the time you submit your application. Ask your dentist to see who he/she networks with and how he/she remains connected with the local dental society. Perhaps even go to a local dental society continuing ed lecture or workshop. Being part of the professional community is going to be part of your career when you become a dentist, and making sure you are comfortable with that support is going to help you throughout your dental school education.

Will you get an LOR from your research supervisor/professor?

You will be fine. Have a good personal statement, and be honest if it comes up as to why you do not have as many shadowing hours. With those stats you will get interviews... just blow them away in the interview and more importantly, relax. This process can be grueling, go into it with a positive mindset. Good luck
If interviewers ask, do I just let them know that I decided pre-dental late?

I think you have a good shot at your in-state Texas schools, and I would focus my networking within those programs and maybe a handful of OOS programs that you know have accepted Texas applicants. There aren't many of those because we know from past experience that strong Texas applicans will tend to stay in-state due to costs.

While I think your clinical exposure hours are just making the minimum for strong consideration, I hope you'll get more by the time you submit your application. Ask your dentist to see who he/she networks with and how he/she remains connected with the local dental society. Perhaps even go to a local dental society continuing ed lecture or workshop. Being part of the professional community is going to be part of your career when you become a dentist, and making sure you are comfortable with that support is going to help you throughout your dental school education.

Will you get an LOR from your research supervisor/professor?

Unfortunately, there’s no way to get more clinical hours. I’m currently studying abroad and I will be submitting my application while I am abroad. Since deciding dentistry, I only had a summer break and winter break available. I only shadowed during the summer, while I studied for the DAT during winter break. I couldn’t shadow during the semester because I had classes and work from 8 am to 5 pm. If interviewers ask, would it be acceptable to let them know how short of a time I had to get hours, but I’m really committed to this field?

I won’t be getting a LOR from my research supervisor. Though I spent a considerable amount of time working there, I felt that he wasn’t super fond of me (unless I’m just bad at reading people). I didn’t want to risk a bad letter of recommendation.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to get more clinical hours. I’m currently studying abroad and I will be submitting my application while I am abroad. Since deciding dentistry, I only had a summer break and winter break available. I only shadowed during the summer, while I studied for the DAT during winter break. I couldn’t shadow during the semester because I had classes and work from 8 am to 5 pm. If interviewers ask, would it be acceptable to let them know how short of a time I had to get hours, but I’m really committed to this field?

I won’t be getting a LOR from my research supervisor. Though I spent a considerable amount of time working there, I felt that he wasn’t super fond of me (unless I’m just bad at reading people). I didn’t want to risk a bad letter of recommendation.
Have you reached out to the Texas dental schools about your situation as an applicant who will be overseas for study abroad and how that might affect the timing of your application review or scheduling of interviews?

You really need to be confident that the references you have asked will write the strongest recommendation in your favor about your potential as a dentist and can SUBMIT THEIR LETTERS TO AADSAS ON TIME. If you are going to be overseas, you need to be very sure they will help you remain organized with your application, and I find that reference timing is essential to getting an interview invitation (specifically the required letters as dictated by each school).