WAMC/What schools to apply for a NON TRAD APP w/ UNDERGRAD DEGREE IN FINANCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nibhighfootballrules

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
25 y/o Caucasian male waiting to apply this cycle after finishing a post bacc program in May of 2019. Graduated from Villanova in 2016 with a degree in Finance and a very non competitive GPA of 2.94. After working at a brokerage firm for 16 months I started a post bacc and achieved a 3.97 where all of my pre reqs were taken minus Gen chem 1,2 which were taken freshman year of undergrad. Scored a 521 on MCAT as well.

Country/state of residence: New York

GPA’s:

uGPA: 2.94 (included Gen Chem 1 lecture : A-, Gen chem 1 lab: A, Gen chem 2 lecture B-, Gen Chem 2 lab: A all taken freshman year)

Post bacc GPA: 3.97 All prereqs (did not retake general chemistry also took two semesters of biochem and cell biology)

Blended: Post bacc combined with uGPA = 3.17

Mcat Score: 521 (130/128/132/131)

Research: Performed a research internship during post bacc where I helped collect data for a study in the ER but did not get any type of authorship as I only was involved for 3 months.

Volunteering: Volunteer EMT for local volunteer Ambulance Corps

Non-clinical Volunteering:

1) Big brother for Big Brother Big Sisters of Long Island for the past 2 years

2) City tutors - tutoring disadvantaged adults in math for their High school equivalency exam (started this past month)

3) peer tutor for organic chemistry during post bacc one semester

Physician Shadowing:

1)Over 100 Hours combined between ED physicians and Internal medicine physicians

2) summer internship surgical shadowing program

Employment History:

1. Worked as a trade management associate for an International Brokerage firm following undergraduate for 1.5 years,
  2. have been a group fitness instructor since leaving finance and going back to school
  3. currently am a full time medical scribe, scribing for three different family practice physicians

No family members are physicians

Any advice on where to apply/how to view my GPA when looking at median GPA’s for schools/ If I have a chance at MD (is my uGPA just too low?)/ and lastly if I can apply to research heavy schools w/ minimum research experience considering I did not decide to pursue medicine until a time in my life where I was either working going to school or volunteering so research would have been very difficult to get involved with especially as a post bacc student

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on where to apply/how to view my GPA when looking at median GPA’s for schools/ If I have a chance at MD (is my uGPA just too low?)/ and lastly if I can apply to research heavy schools w/ minimum research experience considering I did not decide to pursue medicine until a time in my life where I was either working going to school or volunteering so research would have been very difficult to get involved with especially as a post bacc student
I would want to know what your science and BCMP GPA's are. I don't know about what you took or how many credit hours are involved in your postbac GPA, so that would be important. Have you done any networking with admissions staff to see if they have had experience with applicants similar to you in the past?

I would want to know what your science and BCMP GPA's are. I don't know about what you took or how many credit hours are involved in your postbac GPA, so that would be important. Have you done any networking with admissions staff to see if they have had experience with applicants similar to you in the past?

My BCMP GPA is tricky because if Gen Chem and stats from freshman year undergrad 7 years ago is included it is 3.83 w/o its 3.97 but those are the only two BCMP courses I took during undergrad

My advisor from my pb program tends to think what I have done in the past 2 years since leaving my finance job will be weighed more heavily

My post bacc GPA involved 39 credits the courses included:

Bio 1 &2 both w/ labs
Precalculus
Sociology
Physics 1 &2 both w/ labs
Orgo w/ lab
Foundations of Biochem
Biochem - Metabolism
Cell Biology
Clinical research internship (2 credits P/F)

Honestly it has been extremely tough trying to find someone who has been in a similar spot, but that definitely sounds like a great idea to reach out to admissions staff.

Seriously appreciate the help and any other advice you may have.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly it has been extremely tough trying to find someone who has been in a similar spot, but that definitely sounds like a great idea to reach out to admissions staff.

Seriously appreciate the help and any other advice you may have.
Have you gone into the non-trad applicant forums?

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT
Kaiser

Thank you for the advice. A lot of those schools are on my list. Do you mind explaining the thought process behind your suggestions? It would help to know how someone who does not know me views my stats.