WAMC with 3.2/3.2/pending MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saleemrodman1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to all DO schools. My GPA went down because of the grade replacement policy change >.>

cGPA = 3.2
sGPA = 3.2
MCAT = waiting on score (scored 509 on latest AAMC FL)...released on July 17
ECs = Volunteered at Hospital (400 hours), Caregiver for dementia patients (800 hours), Participated in a rural clinic mission in Ecuador, Volunteered with children in West Africa, Shadowed MD and DO Internal Medicine Physicians, Volunteered with a free community clinic (20 hours), Shadowed a DO Sports Medicine Physician (lots of OMM)
Letters = 2 Science, 1 non-science, and 1 DO letter.
Residency = California/non-URM

If I get a 509-510 MCAT (based off of my practice scores), how does this school list look?

Touro-CA (#1 choice)...also applied to their Masters program and still waiting on acceptance
Western-Pomona
Western-Oregon
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
ATSU-Kirksville
Touro-Nevada
Rowan
Nova
CCOM

Is there any school I should remove or add?

Also, can I apply without an MCAT score, and then get my score and update the schools? Which school should I apply to and do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying to all DO schools. My GPA went down because of the grade replacement policy change >.>

cGPA = 3.2
sGPA = 3.2
MCAT = waiting on score (scored 509 on latest AAMC FL)...released on July 17
ECs = Volunteered at Hospital (400 hours), Caregiver for dementia patients (800 hours), Participated in a rural clinic mission in Ecuador, Volunteered with children in West Africa, Shadowed MD and DO Internal Medicine Physicians, Volunteered with a free community clinic (20 hours), Shadowed a DO Sports Medicine Physician (lots of OMM)
Letters = 2 Science, 1 non-science, and 1 DO letter.
Residency = California/non-URM

If I get a 509-510 MCAT (based off of my practice scores), how does this school list look?

Touro-CA (#1 choice)...also applied to their Masters program and still waiting on acceptance
Western-Pomona
Western-Oregon
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
ATSU-Kirksville
Touro-Nevada
Rowan
Nova
CCOM

Is there any school I should remove or add?

Also, can I apply without an MCAT score, and then get my score and update the schools? Which school should I apply to and do that?

Yes, you can apply without MCAT and your app will be verified. Just add one throw away school so your app gets verified. It all depends on your mcat. If you get > 505 chances are good as your EC looks good. Being CA residence add PNWU as well.
All the best!

Shoe in for most DO schools WITH that MCAT score you mentioned (510) - apply broadly bc that GPA is a turn off

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Add DMU and KCUMB to your school list if you’re okay with the midwest.

Hi. Slightly lower GPA and 508 MCAT with less spectacular clinical EC. I got two interviews in the previous cycle. I did poorly in the actual interviews, but that's a different story.

You'll be fine and will get some love from schools. They will ask about GPA but the MCAT (if you hit that number), will make you competitive. I'd personally add more schools but I myself don't really know which are good, so apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. Slightly lower GPA and 508 MCAT with less spectacular clinical EC. I got two interviews in the previous cycle. I did poorly in the actual interviews, but that's a different story.

You'll be fine and will get some love from schools. They will ask about GPA but the MCAT (if you hit that number), will make you competitive. I'd personally add more schools but I myself don't really know which are good, so apply broadly.

Do you mind sharing what schools you interviewed at?

ICOM, TouroNY- Middletown.
Damn, only these two with a 508? Med school is such a crap shoot.
Did you apply broadly?

OP, don't apply to VCOM as the prefer high GPA's, even though you make the 3.2 cut off.

Last edited:
DMU, KCU, and RVU you should look into.

Damn, only these two with a 508? Med school is such a crap shoot.
Did you apply broadly?

OP, don't apply to VCOM as the prefer high GPA's, even though you make the 3.2 cut off.
Not sure if it mattered but I applied mid October. Being so late night have hurt my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can apply without MCAT and your app will be verified. Just add one throw away school so your app gets verified. It all depends on your mcat. If you get > 505 chances are good as your EC looks good. Being CA residence add PNWU as well.
All the best!

Do I have a chance at my #1 school (Touro-CA) with these stats, and if I can get a 509-510 MCAT? That school is the most important to me, since I live in the city of Vallejo, where Touro-CA is based.

I applied to Touro-CA with your GPA, but I had a lower MCAT <505, and did not make the Touro-CA cut. However, their MCAT average for the class of 2020 was 510.5, and average for the class of 2021 was 507. So if you can hit that 509-510 mark you keep mentioning, I'm sure you'll have a good chance.

Are you matriculating this year?
You said you did poor in interviews. Did you prepare for them at all?
I didn't prepare enough. I know what I did wrong and I know how I could improve for next time. I am not matriculating this year. Reapplying.
Which school did you end up picking? Did you apply to Touro-CA?
Reapplying because I did not get an acceptance to either. If ICOM extends me an acceptance from their waitlist, I'll drop everything to attend but realistically I should be spending as much effort as possible on all of these secondaries I just got for this new cycle.

Got a 507!

How does this look for each of these schools?

looks good. but as others have said, you want to apply broadly and increase your chances by sending apps to some of the newer schools. I would hit ACOM, ARCOM, ICOM, WVSOM, maybe PCOM GA and the brand new PCOM (Aintree?). consider BCOM and RVU, although I think BCOM is still doing private loans and RVU has a penchant for strong MCAT.

prepare well for interviews, should you be offered them, because there will be concerns about your gpa. the MCAT shows you're a smart cookie and can prepare for a thing and perform well on one single day. the GPA shows that you are a scholar, capable of committed, consistent work over a number of years. consider how you might address that if it comes up in interviews. and please don't say you got screwed by grade replacement!