WAMC with this MCAT score and help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed7195

Reaction score
Hi all. I got MCAT score back yesterday. (512) 127/126/128/131. This post is a little long but any advice is appreciated. I’m a retaker and my previous scores are 501 and 505. While I know 512 is a good score, I need some advice. Is it bad to have it unbalanced like that since I’m a retaker? I also can only apply to mostly T20 or T30 schools because of my immigration status. Most of them have their tenth percentile at 514. I have submitted my primary. It is not verified yet. Should I still apply this cycle or retake in January and apply next year ? My cGPA is 3.74 and sGPA is 3.5
I studied hard for this test for months and was scoring 513-515 on my practice tests with CP and BB in the 128-130 range. I’m a little disappointed because I dropped in CP and BB but I also don’t want to spend months on this again after already putting in so much effort.
P.S this is not to say that any of the above scores are not good since I know the effort it takes to increase scores. I just need advice on my situation if it’s good enough to apply this cycle
So far I have applied to and I am from Pennsylvania
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
Ohio State University
University of Pittsburgh
Temple
Rutgers Wood Johnson Medical School
Albert Einstein
West Virginia
U of Illinois
Case Western
Which others schools can I add?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake again. It will look like bad judgment because 512 is a good score. Adcoms will give you advice on how to diversify your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you have to apply T 20-30? Are you aware that some schools average multiple MCAT scores? AMCAS rec that schools average multiple scores. Some do and some don’t and we really have no way of knowing what a particular school will do but all scores are visible to reviewers! Why would you retake a 512?

Why do you have to apply T 20-30? Are you aware that some schools average multiple MCAT scores? AMCAS rec that schools average multiple scores. Some do and some don’t and we really have no way of knowing what a particular school will do but all scores are visible to reviewers! Why would you retake a 512?
I am an asylee and most schools except the top ones don;t accept asylees/refugees. So I have to apply to mostly T30 schools.
I was thinking about retaking because 512 isn't int he tenth percentile of top schools

I wouldn’t retake. Your sGPA is below average for accepted MD students. Sometimes you just have to apply with what you have!

When you get your Green Card you can apply to any school you want.
That would be the most ideal situation but I am not sure when I will get it. I can apply in October but don't know till when I will receive it.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, I can think of no additional MD schools where your combination of MCAT scores and international status are likely to work.
Even your list is mostly comprised of long shots. For example Stony Brook has a medican MCAT of 516 and only matriculated 4/480 international applicants.
The mean gpa for a successful international applicant to an MD school is 3.77 (SD 0.21).
The mean MCAT is 513.4 (SD 5.9).

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-20.pdf

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can think of no MD schools where your combination of MCAT scores and international status will work.
I am considered an asylee/refugee so I don't have to meet the same stats as international students. Would you happen to know schools accepting the same stats as mine just like they would accept someone who is a perm resident?

I am considered an asylee/refugee so I don't have to meet the same stats as international students. Would you happen to know schools accepting the same stats as mine just like they would accept someone who is a perm resident?

It's not the 512 that is the problem. It's is the combination of the three scores that makes advice difficult. Interpretation of multiple scores is neither uniform across schools nor within any particular school. Each evaluator is idiosyncratic.
Also, I'm not really sure which schools consider asylees as permanent residents. If all of them do, Then go to the MSAR and find those with the lowest MCAT medians that are not mission-based schools (e.g. HBCU's, Puerto Rico).
It would be great if you get any interviews for you to let us know where!

Last edited:
If this is correct then you can apply anyplace just like a citizen or green card holder. Why do you think you can only apply to T20/T30? So invest in the MSAR and do some researching using your GPAs and around a 508 MCAT. You also need to apply DO schools with your stats. You’d be competitive at all of them .