WAMC + Worried about Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent8991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hey SDN,

I know COVID has severely disrupted the application process for many of us and im starting to worry about my chances of getting an interview. I submitted my entire application at the beginning of October (literally October 1st) and so its been about two months and I have not received any invites for an interview. From reading some other posts it seems like its still a little early but others have also gotten interviews as well so I'm a bit worried.

My stats are:

AA: 19

TS: 19

GPA: 3.78

Major: Biology (Conc. Molecular)

State: NC

Shadowing Experience: 65 hours (this is one of my concerns; COVID shut down many of the clinics in my area thus I wasnt able to break the "100 hour" recommendation before applying

Research: 300 hours; no pubs

I applied to the following 13 schools

1. UNC
  2. Boston
  3. UF
  4. VCU
  5. NYU
  6. UPenn
  7. Tufts
  8. Temple
  9. UMD
  10. Pitt
  11. Buffalo
  12. UAB
  13. Michigan

WAMC?

When should I expect to hear from some of these schools regarding interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

I know COVID has severely disrupted the application process for many of us and im starting to worry about my chances of getting an interview. I submitted my entire application at the beginning of October (literally October 1st) and so its been about two months and I have not received any invites for an interview. From reading some other posts it seems like its still a little early but others have also gotten interviews as well so I'm a bit worried.

My stats are:

AA: 19

TS: 19

GPA: 3.78

Major: Biology (Conc. Molecular)

State: NC

Shadowing Experience: 65 hours (this is one of my concerns; COVID shut down many of the clinics in my area thus I wasnt able to break the "100 hour" recommendation before applying

Research: 300 hours; no pubs

I applied to the following 13 schools

1. UNC
  2. Boston
  3. UF
  4. VCU
  5. NYU
  6. UPenn
  7. Tufts
  8. Temple
  9. UMD
  10. Pitt
  11. Buffalo
  12. UAB
  13. Michigan

WAMC?

When should I expect to hear from some of these schools regarding interviews?
trust the process
there will be lots of post december interviews this cycle

Since it's already December, I would start to prepare to reapply as you wait for how this cycle turns out. I would probably retake your DAT because 19 is low, especially for some of the schools on your list (like UPenn). I would also increase your shadowing hours and try and get those 35 hours in the next 6mo. With these two improvements plus applying right in June when the cycle opens, I think you'd give yourself a better chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your PAT score? Why did you not apply to ECU? Demographics? Community service experience?
My PAT score was 18. and I didnt apply to ECU mostly because I am from the area and I wanted to attend dental school somewhere out of state. As for community service I did some work with NC Missions of Mercy and with my pre-dental club roughly 50 hours