MD WAMC/Would appreciate help with school list (3.87/516)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avoCATo

Reaction score
**Please do not quote this post**

Hi everyone! I am planning to apply for the 2022 cycle and I'm feeling unsure about my school list. I would really appreciate any guidance that you can provide!

1. cGPA: 3.87, sGPA: 3.86

2. MCAT: 516, 128/129/130/129

3. State: Montana

4. Ethnicity: White

5. Undergrad: State school in MT. Major = Microbiology

6. Clinical Experience:
120 hours - ED volunteering
Currently ~650 hours, projected 2500+ hours of work as an urgent care tech (will work until matriculation). Mostly work with NPs and PAs, rarely work with physicians.

7. Research/Lab Experience:
290 hours - Research Assistant at a plant lab. No publications. Performed ELISA analysis of leaf samples.

8. Shadowing:
30 hours - Emergency and family med.
Currently trying to set up an additional 20-40 hours of shadowing in a different specialty, not sure if it will work out due to COVID.

9. Non-clinical volunteering:
Currently 50 hours, projected ~200 hours of volunteering at a homeless shelter and food bank (will continue volunteering till matriculation)

10. Leadership/Teaching:
40 hours - Private tutoring for a young student with ADHD
1 semester as a TA for a biology class. I hosted weekly content review sessions.

11. Awards:
Honors scholarship for undergrad

12. LoRs:
NP who sees me work with patients on a regular basis (Great quality)
Parent of the child I tutored (Great quality)
Science prof who I TA'd for (Good quality)
Science prof (Average quality)

13. Other ECs/Hobbies:
Personal eBay business which involves refurbishing and selling vintage electronics
Photography
Skiing

I have significant experience living in a rural community and I am passionate about serving rural populations, which is going to be a major theme in my PS.

School list (lots of WICHE schools):

1. University of Washington WWAMI program
2. OHSU
3. UC San Diego
4. UC Davis
5. UC Irvine
6. University of North Dakota
7. Indiana University SOM: Has a rural program
8. University of Missouri SOM: Allows OOS applicants with rural backgrounds
9. Saint Louis University SOM
10. University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
11. Mayo Clinic Alix SOM (serious reach, but may be worth a try?)
12. Florida State University COM
13. Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
14. University of Arizona COM

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a great application. For your current list, do Florida State, Michigan State, and Arizona take many OOS applicants? Double check that.

I would apply to at least 20 programs. Here are some others you might consider: MCW, Iowa, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Rochester, Miami, Georgetown, GW, Tulane, Case Western, OSU, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Einstein, Hofstra, Albany, Emory.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for looking it over! You're right, it looks like Florida State is not very friendly to OOS applicants. I'll take them off the list. I think the other two are still worth a shot based on their websites and the MSAR.

I'll look into the programs you recommended and aim for 20 schools. Your advice is very reassuring. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your school list contains several state public schools that accept few non residents. UC Davis accepted only 1 non resident and Florida State only 4 last year.
I suggest these schools with your stats
U Washington
U Colorado
Indiana
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Miami
Mayo

Thanks for looking it over! You're right, it looks like Florida State is not very friendly to OOS applicants. I'll take them off the list. I think the other two are still worth a shot based on their websites and the MSAR.

I'll look into the programs you recommended and aim for 20 schools. Your advice is very reassuring. Thanks again!
Swap out FSU for USF, apply to the SELECT part since you're OOS.