WAMC- would love some honest feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent123!

Reaction score

Date of submission: June 4th
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.83
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.80
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
1st attempt: AA 18,TS 17, PAT 15, BIO 19, GChem 16, OChem 16, RC 18, QR 19
2nd attempt: AA 19,TS 19, PAT 19, BIO 18, GChem 22, OChem 19, RC 21, QR 16

State of Residence: NY
Undergrad Attended: University of Vermont
Major: Linguistics
Minor: Emergency Medical Services
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~200, 100 with general, others with peds, endo, and oral surgery, intern at UVM GPR
Volunteering Experience: volunteered in cancer unit at my university’s hospital, volunteer doula, worked with/ a nonprofit to provide sports equipment and musical instruments to underserved communities
Employment: Peds Dental Assistant for 4 months
Research: Emergency Medicine research 3 years
Other Extracurriculars: Lead Tour Guide, Sorority, Alumni Association, Hillel President, TA, Club Soccer
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Touro Pre-dental Experience Program
Relevant Honors or Awards: Cum Laude, Sorority Scholar of Year, Dean’s List, Greek Honor society, Tower Society (10 seniors who display leadership)
LOR type and strength: orgo (strong), bio (strong), dentist (strong), tour guide boss (strong), gen chem (medium), Linguistics advisor (medium)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: attending tufts masters biomedical science this year , personal statement about the intersection between linguistics and dentistry, no relatives in oral health

School list:
Buffalo
Stony Brook
NYU
Touro
UConn
UNE
Tufts
BU
Rutgers
Temple
Upenn
Pitt
Maryland
Nova
LECOM
Colorado
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan
ASDOH
Midwestern IL

Members don't see this ad.

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~200, 100 with general, others with peds, endo, and oral surgery, intern at UVM GPR
Volunteering Experience: volunteered in cancer unit at my university’s hospital, volunteer doula, worked with/ a nonprofit to provide sports equipment and musical instruments to underserved communities
Other Extracurriculars: Lead Tour Guide, Sorority, Alumni Association, Hillel President, TA, Club Soccer
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Touro Pre-dental Experience Program
Relevant Honors or Awards: Cum Laude, Sorority Scholar of Year, Dean’s List, Greek Honor society, Tower Society (10 seniors who display leadership)
LOR type and strength: orgo (strong), bio (strong), dentist (strong), tour guide boss (strong), gen chem (medium), Linguistics advisor (medium)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: attending tufts masters biomedical science this year , personal statement about the intersection between linguistics and dentistry, no relatives in oral health

School list:
Buffalo
Stony Brook
NYU
Touro
UConn
UNE
Tufts
BU
Rutgers
Temple
Upenn
Pitt
Maryland
Nova
LECOM
Colorado
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan
ASDOH
Midwestern IL
why are you doing tufts MBS?

attending tufts masters biomedical science this year
Your GPA does not require you taking a SMP. I agree that taking care of your DAT will be more effective and cost you less. Your school list is way too long... this isn't the medical school application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what schools do you suggest I remove?
Colorado
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan
Penn
are all extremely unlikely for you to get invites

but do your own research and come back with a refined list...

Your GPA does not require you taking a SMP. I agree that taking care of your DAT will be more effective and cost you less. Your school list is way too long... this isn't the medical school application process.
Could you please advise as to which schools to take off/ where do you think my best odds lay?

how did you come up with this list?
I chose my in state schools for financial reasons, I chose Tufts because I am doing their program, I enjoyed my info sessions with UNE, BU, Louisville, and UCONN so I put those on, and then the others I added due to them being in range with my stats. Penn and Michigan are reaches obviously but thought I would give it a shot

Colorado
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan
Penn
are all extremely unlikely for you to get invites

but do your own research and come back with a refined list...
Could you please explain why you believe I should take Colorado and Louisville off?

Could you please explain why you believe I should take Colorado and Louisville off?
don't make sense geographically and publics are more selective, so your dat scores are likely too low

I chose my in state schools for financial reasons, I chose Tufts because I am doing their program, I enjoyed my info sessions with UNE, BU, Louisville, and UCONN so I put those on, and then the others I added due to them being in range with my stats. Penn and Michigan are reaches obviously but thought I would give it a shot
that doesn't explain your list of 24-25 schools...

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list:
Buffalo
Stony Brook
NYU
Touro
UConn
UNE
Tufts
BU
Rutgers
Temple
Upenn
Pitt
Maryland
Nova
LECOM
Colorado
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan
ASDOH
Midwestern IL
why asdoh and not mosdoh?
why mw-il and not mw-az?

... I majored in Linguistics- I haven’t taken any upper Level/ other sciences other than the pre reqs
Look, we can only give you honest feedback based on what you have provided. We don't have your application, so we rely on you to provide your honest assessment that created your school list and going for an SMP.

I don't have your transcript, but your claims above make no sense. If you haven't taken upper-division biomedical science courses, then a DIY postbac is sufficient. If your science and BCP GPAs only comprise of prerequisites, I'm confident you would probably do very well in any courses like microbiology, physiology, or anatomy. It makes no sense for you to go for a SMP.

I concur with @macsak about the schools you need to remove. There may be more that might remove you if you only took prerequisites even with a high GPA if one wanted to find a reason to refrain from giving you an offer or an invitation to interview. Medical science requires more than just the prereqs to do well.

Can I ask why you ruled out speech/hearing rehabilitative careers like speech-language pathology? Did your school visit with Touro give you examples how dental students interact with SLP's?