WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmrc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm applying in the fall of 2020 (graduated May 2019, taking a year off to work); I started off as a pretty good candidate until my final semester went awry due to family problems. I'm applying to most of the Mid-West schools but my number 1 is Tufts (MA resident); not that it makes a major difference in terms of tuition, I just want to stay close to my family.

B.S. in Biological Sciences, minor in Microbiology and Cell Biology

Cumulative GPA: 3.6
science GPA: 3.57
last 45: 3.39

GRE results: 151/157/4.5 (I'm retaking, don't worry!)

Veterinary Experience:
250 hours at a GP clinic
100 hours at a cat-only hospital
881 hours at 24/7 Emergency hospital (my current job, will have about 2,700 hours total by next September)

Animal Experience:
~1000 hours taking care of lab animals
Random petsitting/dogwalking hours (~50 hours)
Weekend volunteer at animal sanctuary (~20 hours)

Research Experience:
~600 hours in a microbiology research lab

Awards/scholarships:
Undergrad summer research fund award recipient (360 hours)
Dean's List x 6
Regional scholar award

Extracurriculars:
Volunteer at a sleep away camp for adults with disabilities for 2 months x 8 summers
Pre-vet club for 2 years
ASL club
Manual service trips through high school (unsure if I should include this, it was high school)
Employment includes all my veterinarian/animal/research experience hours, plus odd jobs through high school (deli cashier, receptionist at medical clinic, worked in a candy shop)

My biggest question is should I explain my last semester woes in my application? Before that semester I had a cumulative GPA of 3.75, and a science GPA of 3.76. I have heard people say it's not worth it to include because some schools might see it as an excuse, but I do have a valid reason and it was only that last semester that is so freaking ugly! I'm also retaking the GREs in the spring to try to bring up that quant score so I know that factors in as well.
Thanks in advance everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

If one of the schools you are applying to is Illinois, I'd say you have a decent chance at landing in phase III.

GRE results: 151/157/4.5 (I'm retaking, don't worry!)

Depending on the average scores of the schools you are applying to, I would not retake that score. It really depends on the percentages rather than the raw score (the AAVMC at this site AAVMC | Admitted Student Statistics only reports in percentages). So I'd dig deeper into that to see if it's worth your money to retake.

should I explain my last semester woes in my application? Before that semester I had a cumulative GPA of 3.75, and a science GPA of 3.76. I have heard people say it's not worth it to include because some schools might see it as an excuse,

There is absolutely zero harm in using the explanation statement to explain such a sudden and drastic drop. You dropped essentially half a grade point it looks like, so I think you absolutely should utilize the explanation statement. Schools really do realize that life can take a quick and drastic nose-dive and affect someone negatively. And, honestly, if schools weren't going to use the explanation statement, they will disregard it regardless.