• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC?

adc_needs_buff

Jan 11, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all, I received my MCAT score today and finally can generate a school list. This list is very "new" and needs a lot of modifications, any help would be good!

State: CA, ORM (Asian)
Year in School: Rising Senior
Undergraduate Major: Computer Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.80
Science GPA: 3.81 (Two college classes I took in high school brought my GPA a lot, from 3.85/3.9 cgpa/sgpa)
MCAT: 521 (131/128/131/131)
Research Experience: ~275 hours of research in summer 2019, currently doing remote research that I predict to continue during Fall
Clinical Experience: ~200 hours at a hospital, ~50 hours at a medical tent during annual events
Physician Shadowing: ~25 hours ob/gyn + family medicine, ~25 hours ED
Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~300 hours working at a cat shelter in meds team
Other Activities: ~100 hours working as a school club treasurer.
Employment History: ~450 hours of teaching junior high school kids computer science and game design as an after-school instructor. Will work as a "college leader" during my senior year to help incoming students get used to college (like a mentor), projected ~250 hours

School list:

Albany
Einstein
BU
California Northstate
California University of Science and Medicine
Carle Illinois (I like their engineering focus)
Case Western
Charles E. Schmidt
Columbia
Hofstra
Drexel
Duke
Emory
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Icahn School of Medicine
Keck
Loma Linda
NYMC
Northwestern
St. Louis
Thomas Jefferson
Stanford
Tufts
UCI
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
Pritzker
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
University of Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
WashU in St. Louis
Cornell
Yale
Michigan

I am aware there are A LOT of schools and I plan to cut down 10 from this list to make it around 30 schools applying. I am applying a lot because I am aware as a CA ORM I will have a lot of competition and applying broadly is important. I also do know there are a lot of reach schools in my list and I need help removing some. I would prefer feedbacks in school list, thank you so much!!

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
You could remove schools that may "yield protect" such as Wake Forest, NYMC, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Albany. Do you fit the mission of Loma Linda ? California Northstate has issues with loans to students that others can comment on. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on the list.
@Goro and @gyngyn do you believe that the 300 hours working at a cat shelter will significantly increase the chances for interviews at certain schools ?

Reactions: 1 user

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
You could remove schools that may "yield protect" such as Wake Forest, NYMC, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Albany. Do you fit the mission of Loma Linda ? California Northstate has issues with loans to students that others can comment on. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on the list.
@Goro and @gyngyn do you believe that the 300 hours working at a cat shelter will significantly increase the chances for interviews at certain schools ?
There are plenty of cat lovers in CA!

About the Ads

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Delete: CUSM (plenty of unaddressed problems still).
Northstate has chosen to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms despite eligibility from day one.
Kaiser would be a better CA choice than either of the above.

adc_needs_buff

Jan 11, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
@Faha I see, I will remove those schools then, although I am surprised schools like Drexel would yield protect. And yes, I love Loma Linda's Christ-centered education with religion classes integrated in my first two years and is actually one of my top choice schools!

@gyngyn I will remove CUSM and Northstate and replace it with Kaiser. Kaiser's stats are not out in MSAR yet so I was not too sure if they were within my reach.

Do you think my school list is broad enough? Thank you so much for your help!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.