Quantcast

WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghedim

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Date of submission: 8/17/20 (transmitted 9/17)
Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: 3.71
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: ???
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22 AA/ 21 PAT / 22 TS / 22 BIO / 24 GCHEM / 22 OCHEM / 23 RC / 21 QR /
State of Residence: Texas

Major: B.A in Biology
Minority? Yes, African American
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Dental Shadowing, 50 Hours (low number due to covid, will have 100 by Oct, mentioned in my app)
Volunteering Experience: 2000+ hours; youth leadership, mentor ship, tutoring, community event organizer, and more
Employment: Private tutor
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership within a nationwide youth program,
LOR type and strength: Nothing amazing

Applied to all schools in Texas. Would I be able to get into TAMU or Houston? Also I hope I'm not too late, this cycle is kinda weird tho

Last edited:

artist2022

Out of office🏖️
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: 8/17/20 (transmitted 9/17)
Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: 3.71
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: ???
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22 AA/ 21 PAT / 22 TS / 22 BIO / 24 GCHEM / 22 OCHEM / 23 RC / 21 QR /
State of Residence: Texas

Major: B.A in Biology
Minority? Yes, African American
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Dental Shadowing, 50 Hours (low number due to covid, will have 100 by Oct, mentioned in my app)
Volunteering Experience: 2000+ hours; youth leadership, mentor ship, tutoring, community event organizer, and more
Employment: Private tutor
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership within a nationwide youth program,
LOR type and strength: Nothing amazing

Applied to all schools in Texas. Would I be able to get into TAMU or Houston? Also I hope I'm not too late, this cycle is kinda weird tho
Pretty solid! I think you have a good shot at the TX schools and of course they'd be your cheapest options, but you could always add a few OOS schools in states you might be interested in OR schools that offer scholarships to help that OOS tuition you'd have to pay (mostly privates) OR public schools that offer IS tuition after a year, like the UCs, Maryland, UConn (I think) etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

captainmike03

Reaction score
I'm a Texas boy too, and I don't think you're too late. I submitted on 7/16 and it transmitted on 8/25 (I was starting to get a little impatient with TMDSAS, but whatever) , and was told by a professor at one of the schools that I'm still early in the cycle. I think a big hangup for many students are DAT scores and LORs. Many college professors, dentists, doctors, etc. have had their jobs significantly affected by COVID, so there have been delays with letters....and the prometric centers have been backed up because most are running only at partial capacity.

I think you're fine, and those stats look solid! I'm trying to swing an acceptance letter with a 3.4 overall, 3.35 science, 25 AA and 24 TS, so perhaps we'll be classmates soon. Best of luck and keep in touch!

Reactions: 1 users

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I definitely think you have a good shot, but you could probably do more to get some insight about these schools and support for other underrepresented students by seeking out student members of the SNDA or HSDA in all the Texas schools.

ghedim

Reaction score
Would my lack of research and relatively low clinical experience have an effect on my application?

captainmike03

Reaction score
Would my lack of research and relatively low clinical experience have an effect on my application?
Its hard to say definitively because different schools place different weights on that stuff. Schools like to see that you did something to display your interests. Maybe you were very active in a particular club, or participated in some form of athletics, or you volunteered at an animal shelter. Its probably okay to not have done research because research isn't for everyone, but you need to highlight to ADCOMs what your interests are and convey to them what you did to showcase them. The two main things are 1) You were passionate about what you were doing, and 2) You learned/got something from it.

Clinical experience is also a subjective topic, but I think most schools want something in this department. An interviewer may ask you how you know you are passionate about dentistry if you never observed or participated in that setting. I knew a guy several years ago who went to podiatry school after never having shadowed a podiatrist. After one year, he decided he hated it and dropped out. This is why schools like to see some clinical experience so they can be more certain that you know what you're getting into.

Hope this helps!