WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asp_dent

Reaction score
Date of submission: 9/22
Overall GPA: 3.56 (3.64 w/out +/-)
Science GPA: 3.37 (3.44 w/out +/-)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.17 (3.23 w/out +/-)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA/20 TS/17 PAT/23 QR/23 RC/20 BIO/21 GC/19 OC
State of Residence: Utah

Major: BS in Public Health
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 120 shadowing hours under the same (one) general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 325 hours from activities done with extracurricular clubs, local hospital, tutoring, domestic abuse shelter, food kitchen, being a mentor for younger students in my major
Employment: 760 hours in non-science related jobs
Research: 240 hours but not "real" research, was an introduction to research program/class but we were still in a research lab and received chem lab credit, no publications
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Health Professions co-ed fraternity, pre-dental organization on campus, mentor in my major
Relevant Honors or Awards: university honors (> 3.5) every semester, highest level of membership within my pre-dental organization
LOR type and strength: medium strength letters from science professors, general dentist I did all of my shadowing with (fairly strong to strong), liberal arts professor (very strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: applied late because my DAT was not verified until the second week of September, 2 Cs on my transcript
School list:
University of Utah, UNLV, Roseman, Temple, MWU IL, MWU AZ, Creighton, ASDOH, BU, LECOM, Nova, Louisville, Marquette, Colorado, Tufts, VCU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree with your research being not "real" research as you did it for a class and received a grade/credit for it. Research is something you do outside of classes, whether or not you have publications, and you don't receive a grade/credit for it....

I think your school list is pretty solid and your DAT is decent but you applied pretty late and your sGPA/BCP GPAs are low. I assume this is because you most likely only took the prereqs for dental school and nothing else SO I would suggest taking a few upper division classes in Winter/Spring (if you can fit them in) to show that you are strong in the sciences, since that's all D1 year is. Take classes like Anatomy, Immunology, Virology, Physiology, etc. and do well in them as they'll boost your GPA, show adcoms you're a strong student, AND prepare you for dental school! Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Everything on your app makes you competitive, the BCP gpa could be better (as some schools may weigh this gpa more heavily than others), as mentioned before, and good school list. However, such a late app could be a death sentence. On the plus side, if you needed to reapply you have all of your stuff ready for next cycle, so if that happens, re-apply within the first 2-3 weeks of the app opening next cycle. I disagree with one part about what is said above. Feel free to add research from classes under research experiences, what’s the worst that could happen, other than some schools saying that it doesn't qualify. I never did formal research, but I felt when I was asked about this during interviews, explaining about the research I had done as part of classes was usually sufficient, even at “research” programs. So putting this on your app, shows you’re not totally green when it comes to research imo.

Reactions: 1 user