Wann go Med-GPA not too hot!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biffer

The good times doc
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently a junior at the University of Pennsylvania majoring in the Biological Basis of Behavior( a mix of neuro and behavioral science.) My GPA thus far hasn't been too stellar(3.3 and Sci GPA around 3.2) but I am still a hard core pre med and will do what it takes with the time left in college. I have confidence that I can do well on the MCATs- I have taken practice tests without studying and have done pretty well. I have also done volunteer work in local nursing home-and at Penn I am on the exec.board of a prominent Turing/Mentoring Group as well as the borad of the larger Coummunity service organization at Penn.
Should I apply after senior year and when is the best time for me to apply?I undersatnd that med schools use rolling admissions.
Do I have a shot if I beef up my grades in the next three semsters?

Thanks,
Biffer

Members don't see this ad.

Biffer, you're at a good school and not doing THAT badly. i'm sure your knowledge of the material (what do grades mean anyway) will show through the mcat. i'd say take it after junior year, in august, and apply after senior year AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. then you're golden. if you can increase your gpa to about a 3.3-3.4 sci, you're even better.
but you knew that didn't you. now you have my support and nipple in your mouth. don't suck out all the milk, others need it as well.

I just got accepted to an out of state public institution with a 2.71 overall GPA. A great GPA is not the end-all be-all in med school admissions. Much more attention is paid to the overall application than you may think. Trust me on this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow Mongoose!!! do you mind telling us what your MCAT score was? you are living proof that there is more to an applicant than just good GPA and MCAT...

Dr. Don -- My MCAT was a 30 (10 V, 10 PS, 10 BS, O WS). Plenty of volunteer experiences, demonstrated leadership abilities, etc. Actually, the GPA is somewhat misleading, too. I completed a Business degree with a 2.4 GPA. Upon returning to college to do pre-reqs for med school GPA is much better. still 2.71 overall, though. about 3.5 science. I feel lucky to have been accepted, but I fully expected it, too. I think being confident and exuding that confidence is of paramount importance. EDITOR'S NOTE: there is a huge difference between cockiness, arrogance, and confidence.

Biffer, your GPA is right around where mine was with three semesters to go. It's definitely possible to raise it up, and just kick butt on the MCAT and you'll be fine!!! Oh yeah, and apply early like that other dude said earlier, that's really important. Good luck!!! :D :D :D

Ok I'll play devil's advocate again! Though the one poster got in with a 2.7 you should realize that is an exception..definately not the rule. Your 3.2 overall is marginal for most schools and your acceptance will definately have a large part to do with your MCAT. That said, I think if I were you I'd definately raise the GPA, slam the MCAT, do some research and consider why I want to be a doctor...I'm leading to this: If you want to truly be a doctor, do you care what kind of doctor? D.O. schools will be well within your "GPA" reach and you may ultimately fair better in their adcoms. The tricky part is that you may also eventually do well in M.D. adcoms also. Just food for thought and only my opinion. Most informed people know that there are very few differences between a D.O. and an M.D.

SWEET!!! I am glad to be reading this. 5 years ago I screwed up one year of college, and it has been haunting me ever since. My GPA for that year was 2.15. I took a break and worked as a paramedic for four years. My new GPA, excluding the 2.15 is about a 3.75, but my overall is right at 3.00 or just above (with the 2.15). So I am in the same boat as you. I am applying this spring, and from what I can tell, if you have a reason for your misguided youth, or misspent study time which resulted in bad grades, and you have done something about it, then there is nothing to worry about. I think the most important thing is showing a change, or some action to correct your mistakes, be it work experience, or grade improvement. MOst of the time I just think it takes maturing. Good Luck!!!